DRM and Trainz

johnwhelan

Recently one of the security certificates expired which meant that one version of Trainz was no longer able to authenticate with N3V servers.

My understanding is everything after the latest version of TS12 has some version of DRM. The DRM free version of TANE will work offline but you cannot add any content if it is set to work offline. This includes any you create yourself.

This is a concern. I understand N3V has commented in the past it will never be an issue but
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...-of-third-party-content&p=1884861#post1884861 shows it can be.

Have I misunderstood or are my statements correct?

Many Thanks

John

This was solved, John, by copy/pasting the whole "resources" folder from TANE-SP2 (or TANE-SP3) into the TMR17 folder (after renaming the existing TMR17 resources to resourcesOLD). The cert will authenticate and TMR17 is back in business.

I passed this on to the help desk and received the following:

QUOTE:
Good Afternoon Bill
Thank you for confirming this for us, I have passed this on to our team to see what options we can offer relating to updating the security certificates. For more advanced users it will definitely be an option to copy/paste these, however for many users this may be a bit too difficult for them to do.
ENDQUOTE

Your timeline doesn't show TMR17, so you didn't experience the sinking feeling when the current cert died. Lots of teeth gnashing and such until the solution was offered by Post #21 in that thread of mine. Malc (Clam1952) proposed the copy/paste idea and it worked!

Bill

Last edited:
So I won't be able to install DRM free TANE version?

Yes if you have it you will if you use the certificates from your Standard TANE so long as it's a fairly recent build, I tested the copy and paste on an install from the original TANE DRM free DVDs on a PC thats never had any Trainz on it and it works both off line and online. Took a couple of hours to install though, most of the time it appeared to be not responding!

Back