Enormous size of build.

gch

Most of my builds run at around 250/300 Meg, I have one with no downloaded routes but my own current "Masterpiece" which takes up 268gb. and 175,000 files

This does seen wrong and sadly the build won't load because it has been affected by the move to to the current faulty build.

No idea if this is normal or wildly wrong. I obviously won't be touching it ( I don't know how anyway) but it does take a huge chunk out of my C:drive.

Can I simply cut and paste it to the D:drive and carry on using it???

How can I find a particular route that N3V has lost for me using Windows???

More generally, does anyone have an understanding of the linkages of the various files that the Build needs to work with.

i'VE ASKED THE hELP PIXIES BUT HAD NO GUIDANce or help apart from telling me to seek help from the Community Hobgoblins.

Any information gratefully received/

Graham, Shefford, UK

Graham, this sounds like your backups folder is getting a bit stuffed with old files.

Open up the Launcher then settings.
Open up the Install tab.

Look at where the Trainz content is installed and jot that down on a piece of paper.

Close this and close the Launcher.

Open up Windows Explorer (aka File Explorer today).

Go to the folder you wrote down before.

Open up the Backups folder and delete the oldest dates.

Close Explorer and Empty the recycle bin.

You have now reclaimed a lot of space.

Unfortunately, Trainz content is now a lot bigger in addition to the backups and this doesn't help the matter, but at least clearing the old stuff helped.

I recommend defragmenting your hard disk afterwards, or run the trim function if it's an SSD. This will help with performance after removing the data.

For reference:

My TRS19 Plus install is 15GB. (zero backups, I do other backups to external)
User Data folder is 210GB but I'm on Gold and have installed most Payware routes, lot's of DLS locos, rolling stock, etc and lot's of Freeware.

My "beta" install is also 15GB but it's User Data folder is only 3.91 GB as I only have a couple of routes installed in it and I keep content to minimum.

For reference:

My TRS19 Plus install is 15GB. (zero backups, I do other backups to external)
User Data folder is 210GB but I'm on Gold and have installed most Payware routes, lot's of DLS locos, rolling stock, etc and lot's of Freeware.

My "beta" install is also 15GB but it's User Data folder is only 3.91 GB as I only have a couple of routes installed in it and I keep content to minimum.

That's a baby-sized install. Mine hovers around 2.5 TB and I've been cleaning house a lot so it was far bigger before that.

That's a baby-sized install. Mine hovers around 2.5 TB and I've been cleaning house a lot so it was far bigger before that.

Just giving a reference in case someone didn't know... I don't claim to have anything other than a baby-sized install. Focus was primarily on the App folder anyway.

Many thanks to you all

There ar about 10 backups totalling a little more than 2GB. Not so much but it all helps.

The main thing is that I have learnt a little more and will delete most of the backups on all of mt builds.

Graham

Shefford, UK

Back