- This Trainz version does not allow the installation of third-party content.

Certificates appear to be the same for all DRM'd versions and the DRM Free TANE leastwise they have identical md5 hashes, same ones in TRS19 plus an additional one, only difference seems to be in the name which has 0, 1, 2 etc appended to the name, I'm trying something with an install of the original DVD release version of TANE, which is taking forever, two hours so far. Probably you can guess what I'm thinking, it won't work but maybe worth a try so experiment here before suggesting anything tha doesn't work!

Seems it did!

TANE build 74885 came with a certificate that expired 03/07/21, So I borrowed the Certificates from TANE SP4 DRM'd version thats the three that were not there, I also installed the latest certificate, not sure if that was neccesary but won't do any harm.
and it is now happily downloading from the DLS and importing cdps. Someone else like to try this? Certificates are in the resources folder.

SP4 certificate is good to 2028 by the way.

Last edited:
The way I read the reply I quoted, N3V has made a classic mistake of hard-coding the certificate's details into TMR17. The result is just what happened. The cert expired (or was deemed "compromised") and removed from the server (or the server was shut off). Thus, when TMR17 went to check, it was rebuffed at the server end and the software won't run. Their statement that a "patch would have to be created" only confirms this is what happened.

Bill

Last edited:
My time was already limited, but apparently N3V decided it was time I quit (my version of) the game completely.

TANE SP1 (also) stopped working with the same errors / message earlier posters in this topic mentioned, so I guess that is me out.
I thought that my game, as I bought it as a Kickstarted backer, was DRM free (the main motivation to do so), but apparently I made the wrong assumption or something went wrong as my game is now useless.

I think N3V really could do some improvements on their communication part and I am sure they also have some improvement suggestions for me.

Thanks for the fun. I'll be back if/when I can start playing "my" game again.

Edit:
And apparently an interesting post was made while I was writing mine:
SP4 certificate is good to 2028 by the way.
Question now is:
Where can simple souls like me download / get / fix whatever it is you are talking about?
Please don't tell me the answer is "first you need to go and install TANE in the latest version" as currently have no clue to find out how I can do so without risking killing my current way to big TANE SP1 install (and how to set things back after I uninstall this new install (and if that would risk my current install)).

... but fact is you do give me some hope in your post of actually playing this game next autumn.

Last edited:
You can install more than one version, I've got both TANE DRM'd and DRM free. The fresh install I just did of the Kickstarter Boxed was on a new PC never used for Trainz.

The way I read the reply I quoted, N3V has made a classic mistake of hard-coding the certificate's details into TMR17. The result is just what happened. The cert expired (or was deemed "compromised") and removed from the server (or the server was shut off). Thus, when TMR17 went to check, it was rebuffed at the server end and the software won't run. Their statement that a "patch would have to be created" only confirms this is what happened.

Bill

Check in TMR17 resources folder, should be a Certificates folder with Certificates in it, I suspect patch, just means a patch to add the updated certificate.

I've checked there and tried a few things. Nothing worked (as I expected). It now seems to me that a "patch" isn't really necessary. N3V knows each and every one of us who owns TMR17, so why not simply set up a small page on the web where we can log in, download the new cert, store it in the correct directory, and start the game. It isn't rocket science.

Bill

As the certificates are the same in both updated versions of TANE and TRS19 contains the same collection of certificates plus one extra, it's just a case of copy and paste, leastwise thats what I did with my experiment.

My TANE-SP3, TANE-SP4, and TS2019 all run just fine. My primary focus is TMR17. I would really like to get that one going again. I loved the built-in routes. Played them all the time, especially the Japanese model railroad. I even have a few sessions I created for it. None of the certs in that directory are like any of the others, so cut/paste won't work.

Bill

Now that I've done some more thinking, I am sure that both the dedicated server for TMR17 and a new cert will be necessary.

I'm done. The rest is up to N3V. if they decide to update the game, then I'll be happy. Otherwise, I'll stay pretty disgruntled about this whole thing.

Bill

Malc, you mentioned the certificate was in the Resources folder? I don't seem to have a resources folder, either inside or outside of the build folders for T:ANE?

It's in the Tane program folder not your user data, in my case D:\N3V Games\TANE\resources\certificates.

Ah Gotcha. Yes certs 1&2 are good until 2028. cert 0 expired July 8! Cache cert good to 3010! I note they are named "trainz-drm-server", not T:ANE. TRS19 looks exactly the same except there si also a cert 3. So I wonder, if like you say, they could just rename the certs in their TMR2017 folder to (name)-(number).crt.old and copy these certs from T:ANE or even 2019 to that folder.

EDIT, if I am revealing any security secrets, please delete this post!

Copied the TANE SP2 cert folder into TMR17 and it works. :cool:
Where do you see the expiration date?

So after a heart (cert) transplant, TMR17 livez, but for how long? and what next?

Last edited:
Copied the TANE SP2 cert folder into TMR17 and it works. :cool:
Where do you see the expiration date?

So after a heart (cert) transplant, TMR17 livez, but for how long? and what next?

Double click the Certificate and you get a popup with the detail including the expiry date.

I think this is an issue of trying to keep certs on the customer's end, instead of the vendor end. Never had software that came with certs before, they were always on the vendor's servers. How on earth can they expect to update expired certs on every customer's install?

I think this is an issue of trying to keep certs on the customer's end, instead of the vendor end. Never had software that came with certs before, they were always on the vendor's servers. How on earth can they expect to update expired certs on every customer's install?

I'm pretty sure that's what Zec meant in his answer to me. They'd have to "create a patch" to fix the problem, even if the patch was nothing but delivering a new cert.

Bill

Question now is:
Where can simple souls like me download / get / fix whatever it is you are talking about?
Please don't tell me the answer is "first you need to go and install TANE in the latest version" as currently have no clue to find out how I can do so without risking killing my current way to big TANE SP1 install (and how to set things back after I uninstall this new install (and if that would risk my current install)).

... but fact is you do give me some hope in your post of actually playing this game next autumn.

My thinking is that you update to SP4 right in TANE SP1… if you can still access the Settings tab. If you don’t want to update to SP4, I can try and get the necessary certificate for you.

Listen, I’ll try my best to help you out, since you’ve taught me a lot on this forum, but I can’t guarentee anything. If you’re still able to access the Settings in the TANE SP1 launcher, that helps me out a lot. I’ll try me best from there.

Back