- This Trainz version does not allow the installation of third-party content.

HiBaller

19 Years of Trainz
What the heck? Why is this error popping up. It is a simple CDP from one of the creators of Japanese content. All four of them refuse to install, stating the same error. They install fine into TANE SP4. They are build 3.7, so that can't be a problem.

Never done this before.

Build: 85470

EDIT: Now THIS is really strange. Tried to download an AURAN bit of content from the DLS. It was marked as "Available for download," yet I got the same error as above.

; Searching asset 'Track Invisible'
; Downloading 'kuid_-10_137.cdp' <---- this is AURAN content, certainly NOT 'third-party'
; Installing...
+ Complete

RE-EDIT: NOTHING at all can be downloaded from the DLS. I keep getting this stupid error and the download fails. Has something happened to my copy of TMR2017?

Bill

Last edited:
Case in point: A random selection from the DLS:

; Searching asset '0 Narow Gauge Loco 1'
; Skipping fully installed asset 'Narrow gauge Loco engine Spec'
; Skipping fully installed asset 'ALCo 251B Enginesound'
; Skipping fully installed asset 'ALCo Hornsound'
; Searching asset '2ft bogey'
; Downloading 'kuid2_142268_60001_2.cdp'
; Downloading 'kuid2_142268_10001_2.cdp'
; Installing...
; Downloading 'kuid2_142268_60001_2.cdp'
; Installing...
; Installing...
+ Complete

EDIT:

Did a database repair and now I'm getting this for all DLS items:

; Searching asset '0 Gordon Special Coach'
; Skipping fully installed asset 'IndustryObjectIcon'
; Skipping fully installed asset 'default wagon'
; Searching asset 'LMS_Bogey'
; Searching asset 'Passengers'
; Downloading 'kuid_68236_50002.cdp'
; Downloading 'kuid2_68236_15050_2.cdp'
- Unable to download asset. Unexpected error: 0. <--- Any programmer will tell you that "0" is not an error
- Unable to download asset. Unexpected error: 0.
; Downloading 'kuid_68236_50002.cdp'
; Installing...
+ Complete

Last edited:
Now I am officially teed off. This is now happening when I try to start the game:

TMR2017a.jpg

TMR2017b.jpg

I cleared the Username/password, closed the game down entirely, then re-entered my info. It is accepted, yet I still get photo 1.

Now I am officially teed off. This is now happening when I try to start the game:

TMR2017a.jpg

I cleared the Username/password, closed the game down entirely, then re-entered my info. It is accepted, yet I still get photo 1.

That just started happening to me with TANE build 84204. Nothing has changed from my end. I'm quite unhappy that a product that was paid for now refuses to run.

I have submitted a ticket to the Helpdesk. I have no idea how long it will take for them to get to it. Hopefully "soon."

Bill

Yeah N3V shutdown the DRM servers to TMR17 so you can't launch the game anymore because its a super old version (looks like they can control DRM by each Trainz version).
I found that out as well when I wanted to test something without downloading 10GB to reinstall TANE as TMR17 is only 4GB.

This was the reply I've received when I complainted the same thing to them.
JAUwGEt.png

Cheers

Last edited:
So, we have this great piece of software which WE PAID GOOD MONEY FOR that we can't run any more? That is INSANE!!!!

I have a lot of routes I built using TMR2017. They are all still there, but I can't get them off because of a stupid server? Crap!

EDIT: I just tried TANE SP3. I took about two minutes at "verifying with authentication server" but it finally started running.

THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO RUN A RAILROAD!

Bill

Last edited:
Yep, that's the fun with the online DRM.... they control if you are allowed to use the game or not...
DLC DRM I don't mind as I hardly ever use DLC's anyway but the game I do mind (if this makes any sense)

Cheers

. . . you can't launch the game anymore because its a super old version . . .

It isn't that it's old, it's because they don't want to buy a new certificate for the game. TRS2012 runs just fine, as well as my other version of TANE (SP3). TMR is in the middle as a discarded child because it doesn't fit nicely between 2012 and TANE. You can't move routes back to TMR from any version of TANE, but you can go the other way.

The whole thing is nutz.

Bill

The very least they could do is give us a year of FCT in compensation for our lost dollars we paid to buy the game. They KNOW who has it and can not use it any more, so where's my quid-pro-quo?

Bill

My copy of TMR is dead in the water as well. On the good side I'd already shifted all my own work over to TANE SP4 or TRS19, but on the bad side not getting any kind of warning or explanation as to why this is being done is pretty darn naff.

So what do we do now - delete TMR2017 and toss it in the bin?

Last edited:
As I read it, it says it is due to changes in security certificates. I am no longer in the IT game, but sometimes when security vulnerabilities are found in server certificates, they have to be changed out for newer ones. Normally they have expiration dates and can be easily renewed, but that may not be the case here. At any rate, it sounds to me like they are having server security issues, not dropping it as an old version. If so, I believe it should be fixed fairly shortly. Am I missing something in this discussion? Are they talking about some other type of security certificate?

Here's what I got back from "The Trainz Team."

QUOTE: Unfortunately due to the expiry of the security certificate used by Trainz Model Railroad 2017, and some older builds of Trainz: A New Era, these editions are not currently able to authenticate with our servers. Our team are looking into this, however we cannot currently say if an update will be able to be released to resolve this for TMR17.

However please keep in mind that TMR17, being a variant of Trainz: A New Era, has been out of support since September 2020. As such, we cannot guarantee that unsupported versions will always be able to authenticate with our servers.

The expiry of security certificates is a requirement of all secure internet connections, such as those used for login services, and for authentication with our website. Unfortunately the only way to update these is through a patch for Trainz; this has been done with Trainz: A New Era however the Trainz Model Railroad 2017 edition does not currently have any patches available and as such was still using the older security certificate.
UNQUOTE

Sounds to me as if we're just being hung out to dry.

Bill

Likewise, my TMR17 is also dead, at least the Start Trainz fails. However, Manage Content still works and I was able to export a route I was working on to a CDP file so at least all is not lost.

BUT, a warning to get outta Dodge would have been appreciated, BEFORE turning off the lights. Grrrr. :n:

Last edited:
Likewise, my TRM17 is also dead, at least the Start Trainz fails. However, Manage Content still works and I was able to export a route I was working on to a CDP file so at least all is not lost.

BUT, a warning to get outta Dodge would have been appreciated, BEFORE turning off the lights. Grrrr. :n:

Absolutely! Content manager isn't of any use other than exporting to CDPs. Since the game can't communicate with the servers, we cannot IMPORT/DOWNLOAD anything at all without getting the "can't do this" error I mentioned in my OP. I now have hundreds of "missing content" and "faulty assets" I can't correct.

Shoot. I'm going to get some sleep before I get wrapped around the axle on this.

Bill

Last edited:
To me, this points out a strong liability with the software's need to call home once a month to be allowed to run. N3V says that they intend to take care of us, but what if they can't afford to do that?

It's no surprise that a company stops supporting older versions of software, but when the program won't even run ...

Back up and treasure all your 32 bit versions of Trainz because you might just need them with the 64 bit versions looking to be a temporary arrangement.

Last edited:
UTC, TS2004/6/9/10 all seem to be running okay. So why was TMR17 singled out for this treatment? It all comes down to authorization and the need for a certificate. Okay. N3V says it needs a new cert, so create a patch, and turn the game back on. Nothing there is hard.

Bill

After reading their reply you posted Bill, I am confused. These should be SERVER certificates, they should not be specific to the software. And if they are going to continue to use the server, regardless what for, they will need a new certificate, so TMR2017 should not be relevant. But I don't know the arcane workings of N3V, so I guess I can't speak to it. I remember buying the TMR bundle for T:ANE a long time ago, so I am wondering if they have just rolled it into T:ANE by now? Maybe that is why they don't want to support the original version. If nothing else I would hope they would let the T:ANE std users install the bundled version of T:ANE.

Back