Could I get permission to release these reskins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DARTrider

Goofy Fictional RR Owner
Hello JR team.

I'd like to release these reskins to my site, Timetable Trainz. They are as follows: SPSF C30-7, SP GP40-2 Speed Lettering and a Cotton Belt GP40-2. The GP40-2's use the old freeware model and the C30-7's use the freeware model as well. If not, then that's fine as well. Thank you!

2021-08-15-093932.jpg

Hello. DARTrider. Remember the last time you tried obtaining permission? I am probably going to bet that even though these are reskins of freeware JR will come back with a big fat no. Did you have a go with using aliases like I suggested in that last thread?

Hello. DARTrider. Remember the last time you tried obtaining permission? I am probably going to bet that even though these are reskins of freeware JR will come back with a big fat no. Did you have a go with using aliases like I suggested in that last thread?

Ahh, dang it. I couldn't figure out how to alias it. It looks too complex, and I don't know how to alias an existing reskin. What about just adding the original asset as a dependency?

Last edited:
That still would be redistributing the meshes. I'll try and see if I could put an alias reskin base together for you if you like. Then you can change the KUID and drop your textures into it.

DARTrider, have you considered using Dave Snow's GP40s? They are reskinnable. There are also other C30-7s on the DLS, but I don't know about all the licenses for them. Most of what I have is Norfolksouthern37. But I see some by Nickrailfan, icebreaker, sureshot28, jkerlee and others. Many are older versions though.

Problem with the DES Geeps and such is I'm merely patching out the SP logo and replacing it (and adding the "SP" to the kodachrome), not skinning the entire thing. I'd do it if I felt like it but I'd rather stay simple. Just adding small details and such.

DARTrider... have you tried submitting a support ticket directly with Jointed Rail? I've found they are very responsive, even with general questions. They may prefer to answer this inquiry in more private setting.

DARTrider... have you tried submitting a support ticket directly with Jointed Rail? I've found they are very responsive, even with general questions. They may prefer to answer this inquiry in more private setting.

Hmm, good call. I'll try that. Thank you!

Thread bump.

CNWFan, I had no luck with the ticket, it sat open for a week before I closed it. No responses.

Another oddity, how come sites like TrainzForge can fully reskin and release PAYWARE models with permission (Their LE&E S2's) without aliasing them, and sites like The Switchback can fully reskin and upload with permission the new GP40's, the freeware C30-7's and their Baldwin S12, but I cannot release simple reskins like my SPSF C30-7 and SSW/SP GP40-2's???

Seems VERY biased or I'm not seeing something that the JR people ARE. I'd like to get a JR team member here, as I think they're avoiding answering my question.

There's no bias anywhere here, people simply don't ask our permission like you are supposed to in the case of The Switchbacks GP40's and literally everything else they have on their site of ours. We never would have granted use of those for release so they can expect an email from us shortly. LE&E's S2 was granted explicit permission from Adam, the creator and that's his choice to do so.

We are busy folks, with day jobs, plus its vacation season so I'm sorry you didn't get a response in a timely manner, I also needed to consult 3 different people on model use so there's that as well.

In most cases we don't grant permission to those who have temporary websites on wix platforms or others that may be quickly taken down since we seem to then get the support requests for " Wheres so and so's reskin with your model? can you send it to me?". Yes this actually happens.... So many pop up for a month, the group loses interest then they ghost.

So with that your welcome to use your models for your own purposes but release permission isn't granted for the site. Any questions please contact us privately.

Last edited:
There's no bias anywhere here, people simply don't ask our permission like you are supposed to in the case of The Switchbacks GP40's and literally everything else they have on their site of ours. We never would have granted use of those for release so they can expect an email from us shortly. LE&E's S2 was granted explicit permission from Adam, the creator and that's his choice to do so.

We are busy folks, with day jobs, plus its vacation season so I'm sorry you didn't get a response in a timely manner, I also needed to consult 3 different people on model use so there's that as well.

In most cases we don't grant permission to those who have temporary websites on wix platforms or others that may be quickly taken down since we seem to then get the support requests for " Wheres so and so's reskin with your model? can you send it to me?". Yes this actually happens.... So many pop up for a month, the group loses interest then they ghost.

So with that your welcome to use your models for your own purposes but release permission isn't granted for the site.

This might be good to have pinned on the top of your subforums here just so everyone isnt asking the same questions over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back