Neep help ! Installed old Firefox for downloaded station and wiped out everything !

I recorded a video of me navigating to the folder on windows 11, which is pretty much the same as 10.

Thanks for the video. What is it that you typed once you got into your C: This PC / user / profile name ? It's too small for me to make out . BTW, I tried to like your YOUTUBE but it said I needed to sign in ! I don't even remember my sign in !

Thanks for the video. What is it that you typed once you got into your C: This PC / user / profile name ? It's too small for me to make out . BTW, I tried to like your YOUTUBE but it said I needed to sign in ! I don't even remember my sign in !
"AppData". You have to type it in manually because the AppData folder is hidden.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. It did take me to profiles where there is one listed, called " uh0ae5rw.default" , dated around 1:30 pm today, which I think is just before I messed everything up and loading in the old version. Clicking that asks me which app I want to use to open it. I clicked Firefox and it gave me a bunch of scripted data..which I don't understand. And that's it.

That doesn't look good, you have to import it with Firefox, however if there is only the one folder it looks like you have lost the profile.

Last edited:
Copy the entire "uh0ae5rw.default" folder and paste it somewhere else safe. I don't know how to use those files, or if that's even the proper folder, so maybe someone else could try and help you from there.

Last edited:
Thanks, Malc
I followed the plan and got as far as the app data folder. Again, it only posted the scripted file I showed above, and then typed in Hidden Files and Folders in the search bar and got a bunch of files, but all the entries were made today, after installing the old version.

"Copy the entire "uh0ae5rw.default" folder and paste it somewhere else safe. I don't know how to use those files, or if that's even the proper folder, so maybe someone else could try and help you from there. "

Shall do ! Thanks

Wow ! That folder showed in had over 1900 files in it after I copied into another folder. I opened it, but there's still nothing pointing me to the right direction as what to do with it , if anything.

Last edited:
On the menu bar assuming you have it Click Bookmarks, then Manage bookmarks, Import and backup, then Restore, not sure if a 2016 version is the same but current version will have a list of dates you can restore.

Sudden thought, have you by any chance got Edge or Chrome installed and imported Firefox bookmarks to them?

I wondering now if I should just do a simple thing and reboot the computer. Of course after a day like this, I might be pushing my luck just doing that.
If you don't hear from me for a while.......

Does anyone know if the current Firefox profile files can be read by version 45 of Firefox?
Doesn't Firefox ask you if you want to erase your profile files / user data when being uninstalled?

JimDep,

Can you make a copy of the "uh0ae5rw.default" folder and put it in a safe place? Then perhaps try reinstalling the current version of Firefox?

But you will want to write down what websites and passwords you've re-entered in the older version so that you can get online if everything goes south.

I didn't set up a Mozilla account or a link to sync my settings either, so I've written down what I want to keep.

I'm sorry that this isn't much help.

On the menu bar assuming you have it Click Bookmarks, then Manage bookmarks, Import and backup, then Restore, not sure if a 2016 version is the same but current version will have a list of dates you can restore.

Sudden thought, have you by any chance got Edge or Chrome installed and imported Firefox bookmarks to them?

No, I don't use either one. Good suggestion, though.

Thanks Malc,
I went to Bookmarks, but inside, there is no "manage bookmarks"......just a bookmarks " search" ......which won't do any good since there's no bookmarks now.

Or find a Windows restore point if you have one and go back to it

I'm wondering if I shouldn't try downloaded the latest version of Firefox and see if that does anything, before doing a Window's restore point. I've never done one, and I put in a few hours on my route last night. I'd sure hate to lose that.

...oh wait........I could just update my Trainz back up file. So that's not an issue. Still....I'm not ready yet to do the Window restore point just yet. I've had problems with Windows 10 updates in the past, and ...not that's it's related, still makes me nervous to try that, not knowing what else I might delete I've done recently.

Last edited:
There was another BOOKMARK tab on the upper left of the screen that let me into Library and then "import and backup" and then "resote", where I can restore previous dates. One of the dates showing was from yesterday, so I clicked it. I got the message " unable to process the backup file ".

Last edited:
If there are any other dates you can restore I'd try them?

I'm off to bed as its just gone 2AM here!

I did try some other dates and got the same message..........
So I took a break for a little bit, as I was a little stressed out....and came back, started up Firefox again just now and all over a sudden there's all the missing stuff back ! :eek: I checked again to see what version it says I have now, and it shows as Firefox 56.0....and asking if I wanted to upgrade to 72.0. ( the last time I checked it said I was using something different...whatever it was I posted earlier)
We'll, before I mess around with changing anything I want to now see if i can use Trainz download station again ! That's what started this mess to begin with.
I'll post once more to let you know if can download again. I have to see if passwords work again too. Again, thanks to everyone who helped.

Update: Yes, I can download again from DLS with this version 56.0. Thanks to all who chipped in their time and talents to help me with this nerve racking dilemma. Amazing that all of a sudden, after opening and closing Firefox several times, including rebooting the PC, with no changes that all of a sudden all the info came back. It probably didn't hurt that before it came back I said privately " Dear Lord, I've got this little problem that I wonder if you could help me out with". I should have started with that first. :)

Last edited:
I did try some other dates and got the same message..........
So I took a break for a little bit, as I was a little stressed out....and came back, started up Firefox again just now and all over a sudden there's all the missing stuff back ! :eek: I checked again to see what version it says I have now, and it shows as Firefox 56.0....and asking if I wanted to upgrade to 72.0. ( the last time I checked it said I was using something different...whatever it was I posted earlier)
We'll, before I mess around with changing anything I want to now see if i can use Trainz download station again ! That's what started this mess to begin with.
I'll post once more to let you know if can download again. I have to see if passwords work again too. Again, thanks to everyone who helped.

Update: Yes, I can download again from DLS with this version 56.0. Thanks to all who chipped in their time and talents to help me with this nerve racking dilemma. Amazing that all of a sudden, after opening and closing Firefox several times, including rebooting the PC, with no changes that all of a sudden all the info came back. It probably didn't hurt that before it came back I said privately " Dear Lord, I've got this little problem that I wonder if you could help me out with". I should have started with that first. :)

Nerve racking isn't it...

I think I know why everything worked afterwards. Computers are made up of rocks and stones and the ones needed to make Firefox work properly finally fell into place after rebooting and walking away. :hehe:

Make a backup of your Firefox 56.0 because all new versions have scratched FTP services from their code just as has others. It's too bad that the dweebs in the world have to ruin things because they're too lazy to put passwords in place to protect services such as FTP on their servers.

I'd make sure that automatic updates is turned off in the Firefox settings in 56!

Chrome and Edge have now removed the flag that enabled FTP from their latest versions and Firefox yanked it out of the about:config a couple of months ago now, I'd guess Microsoft may do similar and remove the FTP protocol at some point, given their new found obsession with security as in Win11 / Secure boot / TPM2 / DirectX12, only the newer Processors with built-in resistance to Spectre, Meltdown and so on.

Back