Neep help ! Installed old Firefox for downloaded station and wiped out everything !

JimDep

Hi,
Since I can't download from download station with current Firefox version, I download an older Firefox from 2016, since at that time I could. Well....it wiped out everything I had stored on Firefox. My bookmarks, history, folders ...EVERYTHING.....like I was using it for the first time. There's some bookmark on their I refer to regularly and need.

I've done my online searches and can't find an issue that fits to this problem.
Any help, suggestions is much appreciated.

Jim

Do you have a Firefox account that stores your data online? Try reinstalling the newer Firefox version again?

Thanks for responding !

1. Not that I'm aware of.
2. I haven't tied the reinstalling the latest version that I had before. I wasn't sure if that would make the problem worse.

Ok, don't reinstall Firefox, that could indeed make it worse. I looked up "Firefox data recovery" and I found that there might be a folder called "Old Firefox Data" when you reinstall Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1195682

If that doesn't work, see if you have an account where it might be synced:

1F3FsTZ.png

Last edited:
Sure both versions are not installed? The old version was probably 32 bit the new one 64 bit, check your installed programs, with luck the new version is still there.

Be extremely unlikely that Firefox has wiped your profile, it's probably installed a new one. See here for profiles https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-remove-switch-firefox-profiles may just need to switch back to your original profile after re-installing a newer version. If you must have an older version try 85 or 86, think they started messing with FTP in 87 or 88 - down near the bottom of this page https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

You can actually install two versions of Firefox, just change the location when installing.

Thanks again

Where did you find that menu you posted above where it says, Sync and Save data. I'm also not able to locate the "old Firefox Data" folder.

I'm using the latest version of Firefox; Its located in the upper right corner:
[FONT=&quot]
epGIkvo.png
[/FONT]

If you have a Firefox Account which has to be set up that menu is acessible by clicking the C in a circle on the menu bar usually on the right.

Profiles are usually located here C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles xxxxxxx being you Windows username. If there is more than one folder in profiles the oldest one is probably the one you need to point Firefox at.

Sure both versions are not installed? The old version was probably 32 bit the new one 64 bit, check your installed programs, with luck the new version is still there.

Be extremely unlikely that Firefox has wiped your profile, it's probably installed a new one. See here for profiles https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-remove-switch-firefox-profiles may just need to switch back to your original profile after re-installing a newer version. If you must have an older version try 85 or 86, think they started messing with FTP in 87 or 88 - down near the bottom of this page https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

You can actually install two versions of Firefox, just change the location when installing.

Thanks Malc, I checked in installed programs and the only version they show is the one I'm using now from 2016 that wiped out all my cookies, bookmarks, history, etc. I didn't know you can install 2 different versions at the same time. I will check those links you provided. I might have already, but I'll see ! Thanks

Which version do you have exactly? I download an older version from 2016 and found this:
[FONT=&quot]
ZmPKWUB.png
[/FONT]

If you have a Firefox Account which has to be set up that menu is acessible by clicking the C in a circle on the menu bar usually on the right.

Profiles are usually located here C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles xxxxxxx being you Windows username. If there is more than one folder in profiles the oldest one is probably the one you need to point Firefox at.

When pulling up the Firefox home page, I don't see any C that is circled on the right .....yikes !

Which version do you have exactly? I download an older version from 2016 and found this:
ZmPKWUB.png

I now have 45.0.1
When I hit the syn link, it tell me it doesn't recognize me and to sign in. I tried........and all it does is spin and to wait a moment......and it keeps spinning.

Last edited:
I would try what clam suggested. In order to access the app data after getting to your user folder, you have to manually type it in to the search box, as it is hidden by default. Just manually type this in to the search box, but replace the XXXX with you user folder: C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox ...then go to Profiles.

While rooting around , I got a message telling me to restart FIREFOX . I did.........and it wiped everything out again. ....so I had to do a new search for the Trainz forums just to get back here !

Dundun92, do you know what the usual default folder is that would replace the XXXX ? I'm sorry, I can't think straight right now.
I''m using Windows 10

thanks !

Dundun92, do you know what the usual default folder is that would replace the XXXX ? I'm sorry, I can't think straight right now.
I''m using Windows 10

thanks !
I recorded a video of me navigating to the folder on windows 11, which is pretty much the same as 10.

The XXXX is the name you use to login to Windows with.

If not sure if you open a command window, type whoami then hit enter and it will print on screen your computers name and your user name

Example using myself
Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1165]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\System32>whoami
pc-02\malc

Thanks, both of you.

I just looked in the C:users.....and I find 2 files. One with my name on it and one that says Public. I checked both and neither has app date in them or anything closely spelled.

I'll check both of your 2 latest posts of info and let you know my progress. THANKS !

Back