$100

OldGI

I would pay this for a version of this program that only came with a basic route like KCS tailored to my region.

Toss in a 30 day FCT.

Let me pick two payware routes I want to install.

I left Trainz a few years back because I tired of the database management aspect of it. Seems it's getting worse. Cut the ties to 20 year old content and move on. Dump this insane error checking thrown at the end user. Produce a useable product or get out.

I had intended to buy 2019. The frustration of this program put me over the edge. I'm going to another program with less headaches.

Rant off.

Uh, I can't really understand what you're conveying here.

Sounds like you're ranting about how you'd pay $100 for a version of T:ANE that comes with a basic route like Kickstarter County, yet you also are saying that the database management is bad and the game is frustrating. The title doesn't give much away, nor does the thread itself. Its all very vague and such. Could you rephrase this, maybe put it into a full paragraph or something?

I find the game just fine and I'm happy with how the game has progressed seeing that I used to play TRS2004, and I see no evidence of 20 y/o content in-game other than older assets on the DLS, which is somewhat historical. When you say "insane error checking" are you talking about the faulty asset checker? Sure, it may be annoying, but a a bit of poking around can fix it, so I don't see why this needs to be mentioned.

If N3V were to get rid of the error checks, imagine all the faulty and broken assets that would appear on the DLS and 3rd party sites.
Trainz has been like this for years. It includes a few basic routes and assets and provides more assets and routes to download/purchase while slowly updating and including more features.

TL;DR, Please rephrase your rant or just call it off entirely. I cannot for the life of me figure out what you're trying to rant about here. Trainz is slowly getting better and the devs are working as hard as they can to fix issues.

To ad, why would you pay more for less??? Does not compute! No idea what you mean by constant error checking, I've had this game for nearly 4 years and I have my own complaints, but I certainly don't follow this thinking. I'll keep creating, - I spend little time actually playing except for testing sessions I create. I'll probably also keep complaining on occasion too lol.

Actually the database in TANE and TRS19 is much better than its predecessors. It also helps so that you can tailor the software to your needs. Its quite remarkable to think that Auran/N3V made the tools but its the community for the large part that make up the content for the game.

Contrast this with his post on 18th April 2021

I'm amazed how good this program looks after being away for a decade. I'm getting 2019 Monday. Kickstarter is Highland Valley. We have Tidewater from Jointedrail. The built in Canadian route is a great stand in for Mariah. Remakes of older routes like City and Country.......

If N3V were to get rid of the error checks, imagine all the faulty and broken assets that would appear on the DLS and 3rd party sites.

This is the reason why we have the error checking we have today. Up until TRS2006, yes it was that long ago, previous versions of Trainz including TRS2004 had zilch for checking. During those years, Trainz would belly flop or face plant its self right to the desktop randomly. There was nothing like exiting the program and have it produce and "error occurred" message due to an unknown faulty asset.

With the constant failures, the community demanded that something be done. I, along with many users, got together and put our virtual feet into the dirt and said fix it. And they did starting with TRS2006. The initial error catching was based upon what was available back then and it was pretty rudimentary. As time went on, the stricter rules were put in and enforced. This got us to where we are today. The fact that we can no Trainz for hours without a crash, or sometimes a rare crash, is a testament to the fixes and stability we have compared to the olden times.

The biggest causes of crashes, I have found from experience, is bad scripts and corrupted or faulty textures, and similarly with meshes.

If you are experiencing lots of crashes, you may want to create a fresh database and setup that for testing. If everything works as advertised, then there's something wrong with your content. To solve that, you will need to go through the process of elimination by disabling all third-party content, running a DBR then testing. If everything passes, you can then enable a group of assets, usually about 100 at a time, and test some more. Usually the error occurs in the last clump (Murphy stepping in to help) you're testing. Once the error occurs, disable this last bunch again then enable a few at a time until the culprit is discovered.

I'll throw my hat into this ring!
The TANE and TS19 content managers are really quite good for DLS content - provided you use the filter system.
I've set up a couple of custom filters (one finds routes and sessions on the DLS), and using the version information helps a lot.

What would help is for a set of standard filters (multi level) to be part of the install, and also to be saved and copied to other users.

The front menu for routes is another story...

Colin

I agree, the custom filters are the "secret sauce" of the database management. Never used until this year. Just do not forget to also use a general view of everything occasionally. Mislabeling might cause you to miss a "goodie".
Wiki has instructions for setup of search.

I would pay this for a version of this program that only came with a basic route like KCS tailored to my region.

One of the features I like about 19 is more control over what routes get installed. But I have the Platinum version which may have had more choices.

You also haven't shared what region it is that you were interested in, so no one can offer suggestions.

Alas, it seems that you haven't re-visited the forum since your original post so this discussion is moot.

I tried other train sims like the one by Dovetail and it's ok, but I like Trainz better. Although Trainz doesn't have any Amtrak or NJT routes like the Dovetail game does. But, there are DEMs of the Philly to New York and Connecticut Amtrak route, and the NJT Coast Line to Bay Head so it could be built in Trainz.

N3V took an awesome program and killed it through milking the DLS.
We now have shadows like MSTS.
Graphics like KUJU.
All I need to do is dump the AI that set this program apart from others.
I'm still waiting for a fan to tell me how breaking the AI leads to graphics.

N3V took an awesome program and killed it through milking the DLS.
We now have shadows like MSTS.
Graphics like KUJU.
All I need to do is dump the AI that set this program apart from others.
I'm still waiting for a fan to tell me how breaking the AI leads to graphics.

You make no sense. What do you mean by "dump the AI??" N3V isn't milking the DLS either. Get your head in the game and you'll realize you are kind of crazy.

Nothing in his last post makes any sense. It is simply a list of vague statements with nothing to back them up. I very much doubt he is serious.

Back