APPADATA Folder not visible.

Stationbeem

Over 60's Club
I wanted to back-up my "user data folder" to try a fresh install of Trainz.

I have checked my hard drive as directed but there is no APPSDATA folder to be found.
Trainz runs ok, but where is it installed.

Do I have to do a complete re-install of everything from scratch or can this be solved.
I am not computer savvy so any help will be gratefully received.

The Trainz settings/install is pointing to the folders but they do not exist.

Regards Dave.

Stationbeem,

I'm assuming that you mean the AppData folder in your computer's operating system? It should be located at "This PC > Windows (C: ) > Users > ???? > AppData" . I wrote ???? to represent the folder that Windows created with a version of your user name on that computer. You will have to substitute what Windows called that folder rather than using ????.

For instance, mine is at :
This PC > Windows (C: ) > Users > abstr > AppData
but yours will have something different than "abstr",

The other reason it might not be showing is that the AppData folder is normally a "hidden" folder. So then you have to change the viewing options that you have set on your computer. I guess that the easiest way to describe it would be for you to go to your "This PC > Windows (C: ) > Users" folder. Click on the "View" tab at the top of the screen. Off to the right, one of the checkboxes is labeled "Hidden items". Click on that checkbox to put a checkmark in it.

If you've not used that show hidden items feature before, you may notice oddly named folders and files that you've never seen before. It is best to ignore them. But it will make the AppData folder visible.

Windows stores information of many programs in that folder, so you'll have to navigate to the "trs19" subfolder. Mine is at

This PC > Windows (C: ) > Users > abstr > AppData > Local > N3V Games > trs19 > build i2m78oti1 >

but I don't see a "user data folder" there. Perhaps the folder you need has a different name.

My knowledge of Trainz is very limited. Perhaps one of the experts can help you further. Sorry about the long-winded explanation.

Edit: the forum software has changed ": )" into a smiley face. The space I put between : and ) to prevent that does not belong there. At least this isn't MS/DOS where you'd be typing in the path names.

best of luck,

Last edited:
User data folder is in a different location. You can find it by going to "Trainz Settings" on the Launcher panel, then "Install." Path to your local data folder will be shown.

Stationbeem,

I'm assuming that you mean the AppData folder in your computer's operating system? It should be located at "This PC > Windows (C: ) > Users > ???? > AppData" . I wrote ???? to represent the folder that Windows created with a version of your user name on that computer. You will have to substitute what Windows called that folder rather than using ????.

For instance, mine is at :
This PC > Windows (C: ) > Users > abstr > AppData
but yours will have something different than "abstr",

The other reason it might not be showing is that the AppData folder is normally a "hidden" folder. So then you have to change the viewing options that you have set on your computer. I guess that the easiest way to describe it would be for you to go to your "This PC > Windows (C: ) > Users" folder. Click on the "View" tab at the top of the screen. Off to the right, one of the checkboxes is labeled "Hidden items". Click on that checkbox to put a checkmark in it.

If you've not used that show hidden items feature before, you may notice oddly named folders and files that you've never seen before. It is best to ignore them. But it will make the AppData folder visible.

Windows stores information of many programs in that folder, so you'll have to navigate to the "trs19" subfolder. Mine is at

This PC > Windows (C: ) > Users > abstr > AppData > Local > N3V Games > trs19 > build i2m78oti1 >

but I don't see a "user data folder" there. Perhaps the folder you need has a different name.

My knowledge of Trainz is very limited. Perhaps one of the experts can help you further. Sorry about the long-winded explanation.

Edit: the forum software has changed ": )" into a smiley face. The space I put between : and ) to prevent that does not belong there. At least this isn't MS/DOS where you'd be typing in the path names.

best of luck,

Thank-you very much. That is what i wanted. Now for a fresh install of Trainz.

Regards Dave.

I highly recommend having your database off your C drive if possible. You can also backup your current database to another device or drive just in case. Multiple installs are allowed and currently I am running 3, building, testing and beta on different drives.

Graeme

Back