Download Station - really annoying issue

dundun92

UK Content Creator
If you are in the middle of downloading something (without a fct), and the internet suddenly cuts off; when you are back online and try to download again, it says "Unable to download asset - too many connections". And keeps doing that for a while (it still is and I'm unable to download anything). The thing is, its been doing this for awhile. I simply have to make sure the internet doesn't cut off while downloads are running, but this is very inconvenient, and takes around 15m to get it to download again sometimes!

Is there any solution for this?

Last edited:
Restart your computer is maybe simplest?

I'm sure there's a handy dandy feature to close/reset all network connections too like "Reset" in your "Network Connections" settings. Never had to use it though.

Restart your computer is maybe simplest?

I'm sure there's a handy dandy feature to close/reset all network connections too like "Reset" in your "Network Connections" settings. Never had to use it though.
Restarting it works, but I don't want to do that every time. Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing, resetting the network will also restart my pc. Changing the network doesn't appear to work either. Oh well....

ho4iLn0.png

I've lost the connection on the odd occasion during a download, but never had a warning about 'too many connections.' Suggests there's something odd on your end, need a tech savy person to figure that one out.

I have seen this before. Have you tried just completely closing out of Trainz and then bringing it back up? Maybe check Task Manager to make sure no trains processes are still running before bringing it back up?

I have also seen it when just using Firefox. I had to reboot the computer to get the internet working again. Strangely, the problem disappeared when I upgraded to a new computer so I suspect that it was hardware related.

QUESTIONS/POSIBLE ISSUES

Does your ISP throttle? If you don't know what that is there are at least a couple of types of throttling. Your provider will slow down your speeds due to network activity or your contact has it built in. The more you download the throttling occurs. (See fine print on phone provider 5G ads, some "throttle when the network is extremely busy.")

"To many connections" means this: When you connect you can actually have more than one "connection" to the server. You can see this in setting up FTP software. It has a setting for maximum connections. So if you get that msg during a download it sounds like MAYBE one of your connections is either timing out or lost.

Do you use Wifi or Ethernet? I trust you have turned off and reset modem and router.

What kind of dowload speed do you have? www.speedtest.net - Use this at various times of days over time and log results. How consistant are things?

You can also check: Task Manager, Performance tab and click on Ethernet to view activity in and out. If you have solid Internet service your download should have consistant rates.

Report back on what you can...

Last edited:
I have seen this before. Have you tried just completely closing out of Trainz and then bringing it back up? Maybe check Task Manager to make sure no trains processes are still running before bringing it back up?
Its working now, but restarting trainz completely doesn't fix it when it happens. Its as if the dls server, after suddenly getting cut off from my pc, just completely rejects my computer/IP as legitimate for a time. When it happened a while ago, couldn't download from the dls on the internet either.

This is an issue for me because my Internet often cuts out for a few seconds, enough to trigger this dls problem,
My desktop does not support wireless connection, so I often USB tether my phone (which has wifi) to the computer for internet. Switching to regular modem cables doesn't fix this either.
I have high download speeds (70mbs). And other websites (e.g. YouTube) work perfectly fine, so this doesn't appear to be an issue with ISP throttling (This appears to be an issue with the trainz DLS).
As for resetting the modem, that takes some time, and I really can do it every time this happens as it interrupts other people in my house who are using the internet.
Also remember I'm not using any FCT, so dls speeds are in the kilobytes so my internet can more than support it.

How exactly can I adjust the FTP settings?

Last edited:
RE: How exactly can I adjust the FTP settings?

If that is referring to my mention of FTP just ignore it. I create/maintain websites and use FTP to upload/download web pages many times a day. It was just to illustrate "connections" and that 2, 3, 4 or more can be going at the same time with one or more timing out. I have no idea how Trainz connects to the DLS as for protocols. I'm sorry if that point confused. Should have not mentioned it. I can't be of much help as in almost 2.8 years of running TRS-19 I've never had an issue connecting so I've never investigated. My points were mainly so you could maybe rule out some things.

RE: How exactly can I adjust the FTP settings?

If that is referring to my mention of FTP just ignore it. I create/maintain websites and use FTP to upload/download web pages many times a day. It was just to illustrate "connections" and that 2, 3, 4 or more can be going at the same time with one or more timing out. I have no idea how Trainz connects to the DLS as for protocols. I'm sorry if that point confused. Should have not mentioned it. I can't be of much help as in almost 2.8 years of running TRS-19 I've never had an issue connecting so I've never investigated. My points were mainly so you could maybe rule out some things.
No worries. You points were very helpful, but I've tried each one and it doesn't appear to work. While it doesn't happen very often, sometimes, because of how long it takes to download things without a FCT, I will leave my computer on overnight downloading missing deps, only to wake up with 3/4 of them all showing, Unable to download asset - too many connections.

This does not happen with a FCT btw.

Last edited:
Read this part of the Help area of Trainz. Help:Content Manager:Download Station And Downloading - TrainzOnline (ts2009.com) It explains your problem as you do not have a FCT. I will show the relevant part.

If you do not have an active First Class Ticket, then you will still be able to access the Download Station. However you will be limited to a slower download speed (approximately 5KB/s currently), with a 100MB/day download limit. If there are a large number of people downloading at the same time, you may get an "Unable to download...Too many connections" message. Simply retry at a later time or purchase a First Class Ticket for guaranteed access.

this speedcap/throttle is the same as it was in 2004
but all assets on the DLS are like 10x(if not more) as big nowadays
can the lowest speed (without FCT) be changed to 50KB/s
pretty please with cherry on top :)

Read this part of the Help area of Trainz. Help:Content Manager:Download Station And Downloading - TrainzOnline (ts2009.com) It explains your problem as you do not have a FCT. I will show the relevant part.

If you do not have an active First Class Ticket, then you will still be able to access the Download Station. However you will be limited to a slower download speed (approximately 5KB/s currently), with a 100MB/day download limit. If there are a large number of people downloading at the same time, you may get an "Unable to download...Too many connections" message. Simply retry at a later time or purchase a First Class Ticket for guaranteed access.
Thank you!

this speedcap/throttle is the same as it was in 2004
but all assets on the DLS are like 10x(if not more) as big nowadays
can the lowest speed (without FCT) be changed to 50KB/s
pretty please with cherry on top :)
I PM'ed Tony Hilliam directly a while back, asking if it was reasonable to increase the free dls speed to something < 50kbs, with no response.

I have also now successfully downloaded all the necessary deps I was looking for without a FCT.

Last edited:
The next time it happens, you might be able to get away with just resetting your address using ipconfig.

You will need to open up a command prompt using admin rights, or the same with a PowerShell window. You can access this by right-clicking on the start menu icon which brings up a quick access menu for things such as this and other nifty things such as task manager and Event Viewer should you need those.

In the window, type the following:

ipconfig /release and hit enter.

A screen of stuff will appear showing your IP connections and your IP addresses.

This will force an IP update on your computer and hopefully this will help. It won't help, if you did in fact lose your slot on the slow FCT.

Flushing the DNS cache might help as well Admin Command Window "ipconfig /flushdns" less quotes then enter.

Changing the DNS server to Google or OpenDNS could help as well.

Or you could experiment with DNS Jumper which will find your best DNS otion and change it, can also flush the DNS from there as well https://www.sordum.org/7952/dns-jumper-v2-2/

I've used it for years usually picks Google or OpenDNS as fastest in the UK!

Back