Can't Copy/Paste, Deletes UTM Tiles

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
I've been wondering why the UTM tiles keep disappearing and finally realised I wasn't deleting them by mistake, except I sort of was. I have found that using copy/paste to copy textures and trees to a new area (it's a LARGE route), deletes the underlying UTM tiles, even though they have their own layer (sub-layer of route). If I lock that layer (and not the main actual route layer) I can not copy and paste. This is rather a loose loose situation.
Hm, well in writing that I had a thought. I can copy the texture and then paste it. But I can't copy trees and paste them. Is there any way around this oddity as placing trees individually will take a decade!

What build are you on. There is no problems with copy/paste in SP3. I have pasted a good hundred thousand trees with no issues, houses, streetlights, industrial areas, as well. If you want to paste trees and textures, then you only need the texture and assets buttons highlighted and deselect splines and ground.

Graeme

Well it is SP1 but I only have textures and assets selected for copy, but then a UTM tile is an asset even if in it's own layer which is why I believe they get deleted when pasting assets (trees). I can copy textures only and paste them with no problem, so I'm having doubts there's a work around. I might check my copy of SP3 and see if the results are the same.

I don't see how pasting objects in one layer could be responsible for deleting items in another layer, even if they are UTM tiles. That's not how layers work. It makes absolutely no difference if the UTM tile layer is present once the DEM is imported into Trainz, the map will still work as expected while building and running and you won't lose height or cartographic images or, indeed any assets that are not on the UTM tile layer, even if you delete the layer on a half built route. Naturally when you paste or paint textures, the cartographic images will be replaced by the textures.
Just remember copy/paste will copy everything selected in the active layer, but only paste what you tell it to on the active layer. eg. any or all of Height, Textures, Objects and Track (splines in general). I also find it is generally safer to leave copy/paste set to "replace height/objects".
cheers
Graeme

Need to make sure the UTM layer is always locked. If pasting Trees etc hide the UTM layer, problem solved.

Hide the layer, that's interesting and I'll certainly try it. Sadly I was mistaken, something else (via me) is causing the tiles to be deleted, so I have to make sure I stop doing whatever I shouldn't be doing with nearly 75% of the route still to landscape! Don't think I'll ever tackle something so large again... Thanks for the replies.

Back