Windows 365

Probably won't work on my CP/M computer. :p

Kids these days don't understand what real computing was all about. :'(

Yup. Kids today wouldn't know where to begin. There were no mice or graphics interfaces.

I also had a CP/M computer. My Visual V1050 cost me $500 because I worked for the company. The system normally cost $2499 and came with:

CP/M Plus (CP/M 3.0) with a customized interface to work with programmable function keys.
DR Graph
Multi-Plan
WordStar
C-BASIC (Compiled BASIC).
Z80 Assembler
Z80 Compiler
Emulation Disc that allowed the system to run programs for the DEC Rainbow, Kaypro II, Osborne, Ontel Amigo, and other systems.
Built-in terminal emulation that emulated DEC VT102 and VT100 terminals 100%. Visual made DEC compatible terminals so this was a no brainer.

Hardware:
Z80
64K bank switched DRAM
32K video RAM, video was controlled by a 6502
2 5-1/4-inch double-density floppy drives
HD expansion port
Centronics printer port
2 RS232 Serial Ports
9-inch monitor
102-key KeyTronics keyboard

On this system, I wrote my own Z80 Assembly based RAM testing program. I also used C-BASIC to write a checkbook balancer program, a couple of games, and other programs. I also learned Pascal and Fortran on the system and wrote a couple of programs in those languages for the classes I was taking at the time. I initially wrote my programs in Line Edit, which was basically Edlin. After dealing with that and getting more than annoyed, I used WordStar in non-document mode. This was a basic text editor with no formatting and that made life so much easier. I learned a ton about computing back in those days.

Music to my ears. I learnt computing on a Z80 and an Amstrad 8512 CP/M machine, that said it was actually quite posh with a second 720k, 3 inch disk drive to compliment the basic 360k drive. How much storage does Win 11 require, and they call it progress. Peter

aQ3YD5z_700bwp.webp

Hmm, Z80, 48K Spectrum, Amstrad CPC 464, ACT Apricot, that was a strange beast, supposedly portable however was somewhat heavy to carry far! 8086 based, had a small LCD on the keyboard for portable use without the 9 inch mono monitor, 2 x 3.5 floppy drives that were incompatible with IBM formatted floppys, a trackball thing that I never used, ran CP/M, MS-Dos 2 sort of not all commands worked and Basic, they were used by my Employer for computer training, I acquired one free due as they were headed for the scrap yard probably had been only used for 5 years before they got replaced. I then aquired a broken IBM PC with an 8088 which I repaired replaced it with an AMD clone and changed the crystal from 4.7 to 5 Mhz, did make a difference! replaced the dead ram chips and replaced some burnt out components and added a 20mb hard drive and replaced the missing Floppy drive, worked pretty well. After that I built my own stuff using mostly second hand parts from the numerous Computer markets that had sprung up everywhere mostly AMD up to the Phenom after than AMD lost the plot with the Bulldozer, Piledriver etc chips for a while until Ryzen.

Mine was actually a Heathkit. Heathkit was an American company that sent you all the parts and the instructions. You soldered all the components to the boards, did all the wiring and assembly, then ran it through their tests at various stages. Quite an experience! EDIT: I was amazed when I just now Googled Heathkit and found it still is around! Very much limited scope though, no computers or stereos.

Mine was actually a Heathkit. Heathkit was an American company that sent you all the parts and the instructions. You soldered all the components to the boards, did all the wiring and assembly, then ran it through their tests at various stages. Quite an experience! EDIT: I was amazed when I just now Googled Heathkit and found it still is around! Very much limited scope though, no computers or stereos.

We had a Heathkit store about 30 miles from where I live today. The location is now a Dunkin Donuts, but they were there for years. I went there once or twice and bought some kits from them for various electronic gadgets I put together. This was before I became a full-time electronics assembler and later a technician, so I was heading in that direction before I knew it. The store had all kinds of goodies ranging from electronic keyboard instruments such as an organ, and some early computers. The problem for me was the good stuff was way too expensive for me, and the store was very, very dangerous to get out of. There was a nearby traffic light, but that was so close to the entrance that you'd get nailed broadside by the cars going up that street when you tried to pull out! Today, that whole intersection has been reworked for obvious reasons.

But anyway, as quirky as CP/M was it was quite a powerful operating system and laid down the foundation for early DOS. DOS is an amalgamation of DEC VMS, Unix, and CP/M. For me, after coming from CP/M, I was very confused because the commands were similar, but not the same. The worst thing I did was was lose data. CP/M used the PIP command to copy content between devices. For PIP, the command worked by DESTINATION ---> Source. Let's say I copied the wrong way and lost a few things until I got used to the SOURCE ---> Destination. The letter designations were the same for drives so you can see the confusion.

PIP A: B: meant copy from B: to A: !!!

I had a Byte Magazine subscription during this period right up to their demise and enjoyed the program listings that could be entered into the computer. There were in various languages and that was one way to learn them and helped a lot when I took the mandatory programming classes for my tech program I was in.

Confusing yes, but as with DOS and its variants which followed we learnt to work from the command line, something the majority of computer users today are probably very reluctant to attempt. Peter

My entire ham shack is Heathkit. HW-101 and SB-200 linear. Wattmeter, spectrum analyzer, and other goodies are all Heath. I built at least five Heathkit color televisions for others who found them intimidating. My favorite computer was a Heath H-8 with 16K of RAM and 2 external floppy disk drives that banged the heads down for every read operation (CLANK, CLANK, CLANK, repeat). That 16K sucked down a lot of amps because it was dynamic instead of static. Had a Heath H89 as well. Good stuff.

My professional career, starting in 1963, was with a room-filling mainframe programmed with punched cards and controlled by a console.

Bill

I thought TPM 2.0 was the minimum? But that could have changed.
My computer didn't pass, but Windows 11 Insider builds are still allowed on non-supported devices. That's why I'm not sure if it will let me move to the final stable version to be released October 5, as that appears to require TPM 2.0, but I don't know...

I just ran the updated Windows PC Health Checkup from Microsoft. My desktop PC passed but it does say that TPM 2.0 is the minimum for installing the stable release of Windows 11.

So will Win 11 check and turn on TPM if it is there. I for one and there will be thousands, if not millions, like me who do not tinker with the internal workings at all.
If Micro$oft can't install win11 then hopefully it will leave things alone and continue to work until such a time as I upgrade.

Win 11 will not turn anything on or off and unless your PC is fully compliant and you have enabled Secure Boot and TPM2 manually it will not get offered via Windows update.

You can turn on TPM 2.0 from Win 10. See https://www.windowscentral.com/how-...your-pc-if-its-supported#enable_tpm_windows10

You can also do it from a boot to your BIOS setup.

Actually depending on the motherboard it's not that simple, for Example you have to enable Virtulisation in the Bios on one of my PCs and secure boot on the other before the TPM setting becomes available in the bios.
TPM2 is under PTT on Intel, fTPM on AMD or possibly actually TPM on some boards such as Dell. If using bitlocker be very careful you might want to check on how to avoid locking yourself out permanently by enabling TPM.

Better to go visit YouTube and look for how to enable TPM2 on your particular brand of motherboard there are loads of videos on it.

Asus and other motherboards manufactures are issuing updated bioses to enable TPM2, virtulisation and secure boot to make motherboards for supported processors Win11 Compatible, that won't fix processors though! Only likely to be an issue with AM4 motherboards that support Zen1 and Zen2. Zen1 isn't supported Zen2 is, both support TPM2. Confusing isn't it! Intel keeps changing sockets so that problem is unlikely to occur.

The cut off is not just TPM2 but if the Processor is on the not supported list which with the exception of a few high end Intel 7th Gen Extreme Edition CPUs is 8th Generation Intel and Zen2 AMD. TPM2 is no use if the CPU is not compatible. Not having a GPU that supports DX12 at hardware level will also cause a compatibilty failure.

MS have said as a result of the testing by insiders of unsuported CPUs there will not be any others added and a bit more of an explantion of the why increased security https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...tem-requirements-and-the-pc-health-check-app/

We have included more details below on our principles that guided us in establishing Windows 11 minimum system requirements. Here are some insights from the data we gathered over the last couple months that affirmed our decision.

• Reliability: Devices that do not meet the minimum system requirements had 52% more kernel mode crashes. Devices that do meet the minimum system requirements had a 99.8% crash free experience.
  • Security: Windows 11 raises the baseline of Windows security by improving the security default configuration to combat increasing cyber-attacks. These requirements were informed based on trillions of signals from Microsoft’s threat intelligence as well as input from leading security experts like the NSA, UK National Cyber Security Center and Canadian Centre for Cyber Security. Additional details on the background and value of Windows 11 baseline are below.
  • Compatibility: People continue to increasingly use their PCs for video conferencing, productivity and gaming. To ensure all Windows 11 devices can run a core set of applications to meet those needs, we set the minimum system requirements to align with some of the most commonly used apps.

I think the above named security agencies may well point to why the sudden emphasis in security.

There is a lot of speculative BS being posted on places all over the web which should be ignored unless it actually links to an official Microsoft source "Microsoft said" means nothing without a link to a named person or source that can be validated.

Regarding unsupported CPUs, nobody actually knows other than Microsoft and that's debatable, what will work or not and what can be upgraded or not come October the 5th. As it's a gradual rollout unless you go looking for it or install via an ISO which presumably will be available, for most it probably wont get offered until next year, don't want Win11 then disable TPM2 and it should leave you alone.

Back