Couple To "Delivered" Consist?

boleyd

I have a consist delivered to a siding from a major railroad. The consist originated from a portal.
The delivering engine disconnects and returns to the portal.

Then I want a different engine (from the local receiving railroad) to be triggered by this activity to couple to the delivered consist and take it to a location in the yard for breakdown and ultimate deliveries to local customers.

The common process would deliver the consist directly to the yard and then return to the portal. However, I want to try to follow the "rules of reciprocity" where cars are delivered to a COMMON track available to the delivering railroad and the receiving railroad. Therefore, the need to hand off the consist to the "local railroad". I need a triggering process, or some "other method" to cause the "local engine to go and pick up the consist????

Last edited:
You can have a "wait for trigger" command until the train arrives at the common track. Then have the AI use couple at trackmark to pickup the consist and take it to a trackmark in the yard and uncouple.

For very long by now, "Wait for trigger" does not work, at least to me. I use "Trigger check" with whatever child rule is needed. In this case will be a "drive schedule" with the order to couple: You can decide if couple to trackmark or couple to whatever car is the one you decide or have in the consist, and then go to your unloading track. This is not theory, I do all the time and works quite well.

Odd because I use 'Wait for Trigger' all the time in both Tane and TRS19 without any problems. The only time there is a problem is if there are an excessive number of trains, or 1,000 plus triggers (and yes I know a route that has that many due mainly to ATLS use).

Odd because I use 'Wait for Trigger' all the time in both Tane and TRS19 without any problems. The only time there is a problem is if there are an excessive number of trains, or 1,000 plus triggers (and yes I know a route that has that many due mainly to ATLS use).

Herein lies some of the oddities - there in the individual customer systems (program and electronics). Both instructions would not work for me.So, I decided that I did not want a computer controlled railroad.

I just received a teletype that Boston is sending three box cars for local distribution of their contents. Departed at 2PM. They should arrive at the "interface siding by 3:30pm Allowing for a 15mininute variance. Sending a switcher from the yard to collect the consist at 3:25PM. The TTY gave me the number for the lead car. Switcher arrives at the siding to find the consist in place and the proper lead car ready for coupling. If the consist is found to be in the usual order no need to break it down to facilitate an efficient customer delivery process. Bump-click and away to the yard. It is too late in the day to complete all the deliveries so will do that tomorrow. Notifying the customers now.

I whipped up a quick proximity of this scenario with no problems. Much cleaner than the automatic stuff relying on computer routines to talk to each other and then send my expensive switcher on a "wild goose chase" controlled by era 2006 logic.

The real date is 1950's for this route, all of the automobiles and buildings so doing it this way is more adherent to the intended era MSGSAPPER intended when he created the route many years ago. Run a railroad by the clock, not a computer.

I miss those Model-28's.

And a big thanks for the discussion. It is an example of assistance that we all need, and receive, from time-to-time.

Last edited:
Back