"Edit config file" button not working

zech78

I just recently found out that on certain things when I right click > open > edit config file it sometimes just does not open anything at all. It shows the "opening" screen for a split second but it vanishes afterwards.

A bit of help would be appreciated.

When you select that option Trainz will attempt to open the default program for editing ".txt" files. Usually this is Windows Notepad although you can use most any text editors. Make sure your file association for ".txt" is set to Notepad or some other similar program.

When you select that option Trainz will attempt to open the default program for editing ".txt" files. Usually this is Windows Notepad although you can use most any text editors. Make sure your file association for ".txt" is set to Notepad or some other similar program.

It does open with notepad, it just doesn't do so on certain things.
But in case if this is the issue, how do I check the associations for TRS19?

EDIT : I just found out how, but however the default settings for .txt is indeed set for notepad. It just doesn't open when I try doing what I am trying to do. For example, when I try editing the config file for the NR class, shows the pop-up for a split second and vanishes and never opens it in a notepad or anything.

Last edited:
If the config.txt file contains special characters (e.g. Unicode), Notepad is unable to open it. In that case you will have to associate another compatible text editor for .txt files.

It worked for me although I don't use Notepad but a programmer's editor.

You might try Open->Show in Explorer and edit the config.txt from there.

I have found a few locos that will not let me open the config file this way.
The solution is to open the item in explorer then open the config file from there as pcas says above.

Cheers,
Bill69

It worked for me although I don't use Notepad but a programmer's editor.

You might try Open->Show in Explorer and edit the config.txt from there.

I have tried that, but I am trying to replace the horn sound and it wont let me do so from there, nor do I want to touch any code incase if it ruins the game.

If the config.txt file contains special characters (e.g. Unicode), Notepad is unable to open it. In that case you will have to associate another compatible text editor for .txt files.

I have also tried using notepad++ and it still decided not to work.

Even asking about these Dark arts goes against the tome of the Code of Conduct which may result in the Hammer of Ban coming down upon you.

As people slowly back away from this thread 'çause when lightning strikes, is sometimes has a wide radius of action.
Where the map says "here be dragons" heed the warning and stay far away.

Back