Win 11 now available on the Insiders Beta channel

clam1952

Welsh Narrow Gauge nut.
Just a heads up for anyone interested. Win 11 is now available on the Insiders Beta channel, more stable releases than the Dev channel.

Gees, I've only just got used to Win 10! Although they've told me it's coming but I'm a bit slow :eek:

I just took the compatibility test for Windows 11 and my computer is fully up snuff, so I will be upgrading to 11 when it becomes available. Has anyone been able to test 11 to see how Trainz runs on it? I have Taine and 19 in my download folder, but I am running 12 cause I like it more. Any info out there folks?

My new PC is fully capable of running Win11 but I'm inclined to wait and see what early 'eager beaver uptakers' have to say about Win11, Win10 will do for now!

Rob.

I'm going to wait for Win11 to fully come out before I switch, when the time comes I'm moving all of my Trainz CDP's and Minecraft worlds to my backup drive, just in case. I don't recall if a Windows upgrade clears your drive or not when you use the Windows Store (like the windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade) but it'd be sad if it did!

Edit: It doesn't :D

It came out last Tuesday a day early, no problems here other than MS have ruined the Taskbar. TRS19 and TANE run slightly better on 11 than 10 here and that's with a supposed bug on Ryzen systems thats slowing them down slightly, something to do with the L3 cache, fix hopefully in today's updates as it's already been fixed in the Insiders Dev build. Not really bothered as the system benchmarks slightly higher than on Win10. Everything that I had on 10 is working OK in 11.

I would guess many are not going to like the new dumbed down start menu and the inability to add toolbars to the Taskbar, I use Open Shell though which still works.

Most of the annoyance have hacks or a third party solutions though. See 11 Forums

MS have actually posted a registry fix for those with unsupported hardware to install 11 but it's at their own risk and no support or entitlement to updates, nobody is sure what exactly that means, It may mean you can't get them from Windows Update but can download them manually, cant honestly see MS blocking them completely!

Last edited:
I've just had my 'invitation' from Microsoft for Windows 11: should I accept or decline at this moment in time?

Rob.

Probably depends on how you use your PC, things are somewhat different, some love it others hate it, in my case some things are better, but not everything.
All my programs still work and TRS19 runs slightly better on Win11 and as Windows Insider I've had a few months to get used to it.
You can always roll back if you don't like it or wait for a bit until they have finished fine tuning it.

Ryzen L3 Cache latency problem has been fixed on a cumulative update today and AMD have issued new Ryzen Chipset drivers today as well to fix an issue with the preferred core choice, don't ask it's outside my pay grade!

Yes, will wait a little while and see how things settle down.

Ryzen update doesn't apply to me, running a i7 11700K with a 3070 Ti.

Rob.

I got my invitation this morning also. I had already decided I would go ahead. The download and install took a couple of hours. I had no issues with the process, though I did get worried when it stopped at 88% installed for about half an hour.

Its early days, but so far I am happy with the update. On my UWQHD screen I do prefer the new centred task bar.

I thought Windows 10 was supposed to be the last ever version of Windows, it would just be updated with new features. Obviously got the wrong end of the stick, or MicroSoft are in need of a few extra ten of billions.

I am too experienced to want to be penalized by any further beta or initial release of whatever Windows, Trainz or something else. Go for it, helpless geeks, those companies can't keep existence without You ;-) !

I thought Windows 10 was supposed to be the last ever version of Windows, it would just be updated with new features. Obviously got the wrong end of the stick, or MicroSoft are in need of a few extra ten of billions.

A myth, it was never said officially by Microsoft but an unofficial throw away comment by Jerry Nixon an employee at I think it was a seminar, it was his opinion and not Microsoft's and as usual the media latched onto it. Microsoft when asked neither confirmed or denied his statement.
I believe what he actually said was Win10 was the last version they were working on, meaning at that moment in time. General opinion is he did them a favour publicity wise which of course they can deny now as it wasn't said officially by them.

Microsoft don't need the money, figures from July 2021
Operating income for the year grew 32.0% to $69.9 billion

One of my two laptops, a Microsoft Surface Pro, was ready for the update from Win 10 to Win 11 so I took the plunge. It is not my Trainz computer so there was little risk, or so I thought.

The update went very smoothly BUT I now discover that the laptop will no longer talk to my home Wifi network.

It states "Unable to connect to network" on every attempt. It connected automatically without any problems when running Win 10. Other devices - computers, a printer, TV and mobile phones - all use my home wifi so nothing there has changed. It will connect to the Internet via my mobile phone when it is configured as a WiFi "Hotspot" so the laptop's WiFi hardware and software seem to be working.

I have followed all the advice I have found on various web sites that deal with this issue - such as deleting the home wifi network from Win 11 and then re-entring it as a new network with password, etc - that failed. Resetting the Win11 network system - also failed. Plus various other obscure command line control options - all failed.

Not a good omen for later updating my Trainz computer to Win 11.

One of my two laptops, a Microsoft Surface Pro, was ready for the update from Win 10 to Win 11 so I took the plunge. It is not my Trainz computer so there was little risk, or so I thought.

The update went very smoothly BUT I now discover that the laptop will no longer talk to my home Wifi network.

It states "Unable to connect to network" on every attempt. It connected automatically without any problems when running Win 10. Other devices - computers, a printer, TV and mobile phones - all use my home wifi so nothing there has changed. It will connect to the Internet via my mobile phone when it is configured as a WiFi "Hotspot" so the laptop's WiFi hardware and software seem to be working.

I have followed all the advice I have found on various web sites that deal with this issue - such as deleting the home wifi network from Win 11 and then re-entring it as a new network with password, etc - that failed. Resetting the Win11 network system - also failed. Plus various other obscure command line control options - all failed.

Not a good omen for later updating my Trainz computer to Win 11.

Sorry to hear that. If memory serves me, your Trainz rig is a recent Dell? I updated my Trainz Desktop with Killer Wi-Fi 6 to Windows 11 a couple of weeks ago, and had zero problems (in fact I have had zero problems all round, fingers crossed).

Sorry to hear that. If memory serves me, your Trainz rig is a recent Dell? I updated my Trainz Desktop with Killer Wi-Fi 6 to Windows 11 a couple of weeks ago, and had zero problems.

Thanks, and yes my Trainz rig is a very recent Dell currently running Win 10 and Trainz Plus (TRS19). My other laptop is also a Dell running Win 10 (but does not pass the Win 11 upgrade test) and Trainz Plus (TRS22). I use it as a TRS22 test rig.

Great news though. I left the very last Wifi "fix" suggestion to last - switching off the WiFi router and the WiFi Mesh Extender when no-one else was using them and switching them on again. It worked, so I am now using the previously recalcitrant laptop to type this post. Persistence pays!

EDIT: One "feature" of Win 11 that is proving difficult to master is having the taskbar icons all centered. I keep going to the bottom left corner of the taskbar to shut down.

Last edited:
Thanks, and yes my Trainz rig is a very recent Dell currently running Win 10 and Trainz Plus (TRS19). My other laptop is also a Dell running Win 10 (but does not pass the Win 11 upgrade test) and Trainz Plus (TRS22). I use it as a TRS22 test rig.

Great news though. I left the very last Wifi "fix" suggestion to last - switching off the WiFi router and the WiFi Mesh Extender when no-one else was using them and switching them on again. It worked, so I am now using the previously recalcitrant laptop to type this post. Persistence pays!

EDIT: One "feature" of Win 11 that is proving difficult to master is having the taskbar icons all centered. I keep going to the bottom left corner of the taskbar to shut down.

You can move them to the left.

Settings, Personalisation, Taskbar, Taskbar Behaviours, Taskbar Alignment, change from Centre to Left.

Back