Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem Identifying a Session Save?

With all respect... I don't understand your "replies." You are going to have to give specific sequential steps you do I believe to get help. And also specifically state your goals. You refer to a route you made but I'm not able to tell if you have problems with only your work, routes and sessions in general, or something different. Maybe others can tell, but I can't. But your statement above of "Use the old-fashioned way of going back to Menu to choose a route or session" is very confusing. By the time you click on Surveyor or Driver in the Tools menu you have already choosen your Route/session. So I'm lost....

By the way... if you get the "Standard Edition" it will be the latest general release build (SP3). I just installed Standard Edition from a 2nd account I have and it's build 111951, the same build as my latest Trainz Plus public release. It just is "standard" and doesn't have UDS and a couple other features.

My opinion is that you'd be much happier with "Standard." But that's just a guess. Don't go by what I say... Don't want you to spend money on my suggestion...
    Last edited by 1611mac; July 30th, 2021 at 10:31 AM.
    TRS19: Std SP3, Plus SP2, Plus SP3, Plus Beta 114400; Tane SP4

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Murrysville

I do not believe the specific route is my problem. It is a fairly simple where a train appears from a portal and delivers 2 boxcars onto a siding. It then returns to the portal and disappears.
    As I was adding in various elements I would also backup the route and the session. Somewhere in the process of saving these items i would occasionally end up with the changes not implemented or items missing.

I apologize for the flippant, non-professional phrasing. This is not life or death. I understand that some people like a more structured problem presentation while others prefer just the essentials. I really feel that what I termed as "old fashioned", which is non-UDS saving and restoration, may be an answer. I have spent some time altering the route with frequent saves and a few restorations. All worked without confusing me with missing changes I thought I had made. "old fashioned" was just meant to slightly lighten the dialog. Previous Procedure would have been better.

Right now I am going to see how expanding the route's sessions goes using the non-UDS approach. After a few change cycles I have not experienced confusion over the results versus the intent.

Dick 111951
    Last edited by boleyd; July 30th, 2021 at 12:30 PM.
    Dick near Pittsburgh, Pa. i5-2500K 4.2ghz, 8gb memory, GTX1060 3gb video card. 111951

Columbus, Oh USA -by the Weber Connection!

I always go through edit session and then switch to route layer. I've forgotten and placed assets meant for route on the session layer. I then merge session layer into route, my session still shows some assets as dependencies which has me super confused.
    Check out my grungy electric piano based band, "Small Movies" at http://wearesmallmovies.com/

Quote Originally Posted by boleyd View Post
    Hmmm.. That sounds logical. The Locked route, causing saves to not write into the route layer, may be the guarantee as to which layer I am always in. The lack of clarity for where the changes are going is an issue for me. For example saving a session asks if you want to save to a session with a suggested name of "Default".

Thanks,
    Dick
    This should only happen when you first make a session. The answer is give it a name, which in fact you should have done when first making it unless you haven't written a description and changed the name in the edit session menu where you do the driver set up and set goals for the session. If you haven't, by default (lol) is will always leave it as "Default". Once you have given the session its' own name, next time you load it by that name, all future saves will use that name you gave it.
    Working on Trainz.

To make it simple delete all the default sessions. Open edit route and add something. Now save and name the session basic instead of the default. When you next want to work on your route go to view sessions and open basic. This will open the route and session. Go to layers and select Route layer and continue to work on your route. DO NOT go into driver mode until you have done a save. Do a save and allow both the route and session to overwrite. Next time repeat with the edit session basic.
    Once you go into driver mode you can not save the basic session only a game session. You can choose to save the route only and not the session. Once you have entered driver mode all saves are game saves even if you went back to surveyor mode so make sure the session is not basic when saving.

Quote Originally Posted by stagecoach View Post
    Once you have entered driver mode all saves are game saves even if you went back to surveyor mode so make sure the session is not basic when saving.
    Strange! In this case the game always forces me to save as sessions, no way to save as game saves.

When you have entered driver mode and do a save the session is time-stamped. If you go back to surveyor mode and do a save you have a choice to overwrite the original session or save it as a new session which is time-stamped. The overwrite original session will save with the trains in the new position and not the original starting position. Those time-stamped sessions are game saves and will return you to the position you finished at.

As I am concerned if I switch from Driver to Surveyor (e.g. to add a train, even doing nothing) and go back to Driver, then it is impossible to save as a game, the only option is to save as a session.

In driver mode yes, it is time-stamped for the point you saved the position of trains. In surveyor mode, you can overwrite the basic/start session and lose the original start positions of trains or you can select a new name for the session leaving the original session untouched. Both ways (the new surveyor session or the drive mode session) are time-stamped at the point you saved. Game save is a save while running the route whether it is in surveyor or driver mode. Don't confuse this with a save in edit surveyor before you go into driver mode.

Yes, both are saved games, but there is no way to know in the Route menu which is a real "saved game" and which is a "saved game as a session". And if you delete the latter, all subsequent saves vanish with it as they are again real saved games. This mess didn't exist before UDS when the train tab was accessible in Driver mode.

In view sessions, you have a time-stamp at the bottom of the screenshot.
    route Trainz 31-7-2021 15:08 is a save from driver mode and can be deleted without sessions being deleted.
    route Trainz 14:58 31-7-2021 is a session save if you delete this one any driver saves that used this session will get deleted as they are linked to that session.

Note the time and date are different ways around.

I always had the same timestamp format for both. It didn't change in latest version (Build 113642), only style has been modified. First is a real saved game ("Misc" in CM), second is a saved session ("Session" in CM):

Clovis to Lubbock - 16:02, 30/07/2021 - 25:08
    Clovis to Lubbock - 17:46, 31/07/2021 - 00:07

withdrawn....
    Last edited by 1611mac; July 31st, 2021 at 11:01 AM.
    TRS19: Std SP3, Plus SP2, Plus SP3, Plus Beta 114400; Tane SP4

In CM I have the following:-
    A = The Route
    A <kuid:75377:100465> A split train

B = The saved session from surveyor mode after you entered driver mode
    B <kuid:75377:100477> A split train - 16:59, 31/07/2021 - 00:01:28

C = The driver mode save from the surveyor mode session
    C <kuid:75377:100478> A split train - 16:59, 31/07/2021 - 00:01:28 - 31-07-2021, 17.02

D = The original session
    D <kuid:75377:100467> A split train - Default

E = The driver mode save from the original session
    E <kuid:75377:100479> A split train - Default - 31-07-2021, 17.15

Time-stamp from surveyor mode shows Name, time, Date, and how far into the run it was saved.
    Time-stamp from driver mode shows the above plus date and time of save.
    Time-stamp from driver mode shows original session name, date and time of save only.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Yes, both are saved games, but there is no way to know in the Route menu which is a real "saved game" and which is a "saved game as a session". And if you delete the latter, all subsequent saves vanish with it as they are again real saved games. This mess didn't exist before UDS when the train tab was accessible in Driver mode.
    Click on then hover over the session tile. The creation/modification date will appear along with the kuid and username.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641