question on shadows in trainz 19

fourteen

Why do some building etc have shadows and others do not? I looked at the config file and dont see any thing for a shadow on the ones that do have it. Is the shadow done in the mesh in blender. or can one be added to one that do not have one? Thanks.

Buildings should cast shadows automatically in TRS19 unless there's a specific tag stating otherwise that can be used for splines, for example such as cast-shadows 0 or something like that. I can't remember the exact syntax off hand.

In the olden days, such as TRS2004 up to TS12, there were no shadows except for consists and those shadows were specified in the config.txt and required a shadow mesh. This setup, however, wouldn't work for a building or some other non-train-car or locomotive and placing that in a config.txt for a scenery item would cause an error.

Might be related to the settings for Trainz itself, as there is a setting there that turns of shadows on some items in a more random matter if I recall correctly.

Linda

Distance has something to do with it also. I've seen shadows "walking around" with no person attached to it. But get closer and suddenly a person appears. In this case the shadow draws at a distance closer than the object casting it so I suppose the opposite could be true to.

Might be related to the settings for Trainz itself, as there is a setting there that turns of shadows on some items in a more random matter if I recall correctly.

Linda

might have to look at that. it seams like newer stuff has shadows will older stuff does not.

went from setting low to ultra the stuff that did not have shadows did then. if set at medium they did not. so seams very random to me.

Last edited:
Back