Unauthorised Content - How to Resolve?

It's come to my attention that a particular user has taken some of my old Trainz models (which are no longer available for public distribution), and is redistributing them via Google Drive. The download they've put up includes all the dependencies, including ones I haven't made. I believe this is a violation of the Trainz terms and conditions. What's the best way to report them to get this stopped?

Your best option is to contact Google. You can do that here: https://support.google.com/legal/troubleshooter/1114905?hl=en

If the content has been linked here on the forums, use the forum's built-in report function to report the post, us mods will remove the link (mind you the content will still be on his drive & possible available elsewhere; we can't do anything about it once it's outside our servers) & give the offender an infraction.

peter

Righto, I've reported it to Google. Unfortunately their Google Drive copyright form needs an example of the legitimate work, so I had to upload it in order to be able to get it taken down :(. I'll see how it plays out.

I'm familiar with your content and your series. Are the models you're talking about the old thomas models from your former website, or the new ones with 3D faces that were in the description of one of your videos? If it's the former then I would suggest contacting google about it to try and get the Drive taken down. Otherwise i'm not sure

Sometimes content from defunct websites can still be accessed through wayback archive. It's hit or miss, sometimes downloads don't even work. For example, Zak removed all of his content from east coast trainz, and I think the downloads don't even work on wayback, the files aren't there. He had a bunch of SAL signs and stuff and now they are vaporware. If someone used them in a route, and uploaded the route, the kuid's would be unknown and wouldn't be found in a google search, there is simply no legal way to get that content. That's what I hate about Trainz, when routes take 5 years to build, then they are made public and there are a bunch of unknowns that can't be found even on the kuid index.

That's what I hate about Trainz, when routes take 5 years to build, then they are made public and there are a bunch of unknowns that can't be found even on the kuid index.

That's the problem with 3rd party web sites. While I support the right of creators to host their content wherever they want that right does come with a risk. I have also been frustrated in the past by 3rd party content that has "gone missing" because web sites have turned into vaporware. That was the reason why I now only use DLS and built-in content in my routes and sessions so others will not have to go through the same frustrations.

At least some of these 3rd party creators have done the "right thing" by the Trainz community and have uploaded all their externally hosted content to the DLS when they have decided to close their web sites.

It's come to my attention that a particular user has taken some of my old Trainz models (which are no longer available for public distribution), and is redistributing them via Google Drive. The download they've put up includes all the dependencies, including ones I haven't made. I believe this is a violation of the Trainz terms and conditions. What's the best way to report them to get this stopped?
Why don't you want your work to be available anymore , was it payware? That would be a valid reason I can think of to object to this ,also if they are profiting from the distribution then once again that's understandable, but other then those two reasons, I find it almost incomprehensible that people get so worked up over this sort of thing,.

My attitude is realistic, it's the internet, once it's out there, you aren't going to stop people from sharing stuff, people copy stuff from my website all the time and rarely acknowledge the source , am I going to sue them of try and get it removed from the website,?
No it's a waste of time, by all means pursue this, but you cannot stop people from doing this, if you stop the hosting on google they will just find another way to distribute the work, perhaps on that Russian site .Which would mean it's available to a huge audience, and good luck with ever getting rid of that particular distribution centre....all anyone has to do is to type in the kuid number and it's there to download.

His work was freeware. He took his website down because people were reskinning it without his permission. He has quite a big youtube channel based around Thomas the Tank Engine/Railway Series adaptations and original stories. Said models were realistic interpretations of Thomas characters. I used to have the models when his website was up. Very high quality stuff. Recently he uploaded improved versions of those models in the description of one of his videos. The original ones are no longer available to the public, which is what this thread is about

His work was freeware. He took his website down because people were reskinning it without his permission. He has quite a big youtube channel based around Thomas the Tank Engine/Railway Series adaptations and original stories. Said models were realistic interpretations of Thomas characters. I used to have the models when his website was up. Very high quality stuff. Recently he uploaded improved versions of those models in the description of one of his videos. The original ones are no longer available to the public, which is what this thread is about

Its almost impossible to stop reskinning, of course you restrict it on the DLS , but other then that , if people want to share reskins they WILL do it, instead of putting it in one place they will just send it individually to others or use a transfer system like wetransfer thats free and transient. Given its the Thomas crowd who are doing this , I imagine its younger kids, their frontal lobes aren't developed enough to respect anyone's wishes.

Sadly this is a futile exercise.

Why don't you want your work to be available anymore , was it payware? That would be a valid reason I can think of to object to this ,also if they are profiting from the distribution then once again that's understandable, but other then those two reasons, I find it almost incomprehensible that people get so worked up over this sort of thing,.

My attitude is realistic, it's the internet, once it's out there, you aren't going to stop people from sharing stuff, people copy stuff from my website all the time and rarely acknowledge the source , am I going to sue them of try and get it removed from the website,?
No it's a waste of time, by all means pursue this, but you cannot stop people from doing this, if you stop the hosting on google they will just find another way to distribute the work, perhaps on that Russian site .Which would mean it's available to a huge audience, and good luck with ever getting rid of that particular distribution centre....all anyone has to do is to type in the kuid number and it's there to download.

It's because they're releasing my old, dated models when I've actually released more recent ones that have improved texturing and work better with TANE and Trainz 2019. Given that it's Thomas stuff, I've also added full 3D faces instead of the textured 2D ones, and scripted eyes that can actually move while being filmed. So I don't understand this fascination people have with the old stuff.

It's because they're releasing my old, dated models when I've actually released more recent ones that have improved texturing and work better with TANE and Trainz 2019. Given that it's Thomas stuff, I've also added full 3D faces instead of the textured 2D ones, and scripted eyes that can actually move while being filmed. So I don't understand this fascination people have with the old stuff.
Perhaps they don't have T:ANE, TRS2019, or TRS2022.

Back