passenger station pedestrian crossing opposite platforms

JonMyrlennBailey

What is the proper way for an American station to be set up for people to cross the tracks from platform to platform? What let's people know it's safe to walk across the tracks? People may need to cross tracks to get to the proper platform for their direction of travel, to the parking lot and to local ground transportation as buses. Handicapped and elderly can't climb stairs. Trains may get in the way of pedestrian cross traffic. :eek:

dSI02GQ.jpeg

Just...look at the real world?

AR-200909380.jpg&updated=202009082357&MaxW=900&maxH=900&noborder&Q=80

Riverside-Train.jpg

94.jpg

Trains have been around since the 1800s someone has probably figured this out by now.

The simplest way would be to simply lay a sidewalk or concrete/bitumen path spline across the tracks between the platforms, and adjust the spline's height so it's mostly level with the platform but just below rail height. Looking on the DLS under 'sidewalk' or 'footpath' should turn up some suitable paths.

Years ago I ask the great Bendorsey to make a buildable set . He couldn't do as asked . But made some great sets of the older USA type . Which I still use .

Matt

You can also use any station and put in pedestrian crossings, crossing boards, and station fences to guide the people to use specific pathways. There are also plenty of kit and prebuilt, although the prebuilt are a bit low, station pedestrian bridges of various styles and sorts, to allow for passengers to cross over from one platform to another. For my Gloucester Terminal route, I use small concrete paths as crossovers and they work quite well and are at the right height so that the rails poke through the surface nicely. Streadway comes to mind, if I've got the name right, for some concrete footpaths.

Back