Graphics

josephlaban

Trainz Player
Hi There-

I was wondering if the specifications for my new laptop (has yet to arrive) are good for running T:ANE

Intel i7-11800H CPU
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
16 GB RAM
1 TB Storage

I see a lot of content creators and other people using the NVIDIA GTX 980ti. Is the 3060 just as good? Is is better? Is it not good at all? If you have any idea, please let me know.

-Thanks, Joe :)

My newly arrived desktop has almost identical specs. I have an i7-10700F CPU.

It runs TRS19 and Trainz Plus better than any of my previous machines did or would have. Coupled with a 27" curved gaming screen I am in "Trainz Heaven".

PS: The RTX 3060 is a "screamer" compared to the GTX 980.

Last edited:
Probably a colloquial expression here but to say something is a "screamer" is to say fast, blindingly fast, compared to the opposition. I very rarely hear any fan noise when running Trainz at maximum settings (and that may be the CPU fan) and even then it is minor compared to the environmental noises around me.

You have made a very good choice.

ah ok thank you. Yes indeed I have made a good choice. For too long i always had very poor performance laptops but for my new one i decided I should get something top notch for once.

-Thanks, Joe

I also have a gaming laptop with a really fast video card. Runs 19 with no drop frames whatsoever. However, be prepared to have the unit plug to AC, as it draws battery quite fast, plus, I have use a fan/flat bed under the laptop to cool things. This already makes a little noise. Overall performance is alright. Hope you 1Tb drive is an SSD. That makes a lot of difference.

You should be fine.

I recently bought a similar laptop, an Alienware/Dell m17 r4.

It has an Intel i7-10870H and the NVidia 3070.

Honestly, from what I've seen in laptop video reviews, anything higher than the 3070 would be a waste because it will CPU bottleneck. Moving to the i9 would overheat in a laptop.

So you're probably in a sweet spot with the i7 and 3060.

You should be fine.

I recently bought a similar laptop, an Alienware/Dell m17 r4.

It has an Intel i7-10870H and the NVidia 3070.

Honestly, from what I've seen in laptop video reviews, anything higher than the 3070 would be a waste because it will CPU bottleneck. Moving to the i9 would overheat in a laptop.

So you're probably in a sweet spot with the i7 and 3060.
i9 will not always be better than i7. You have a good laptop, you shouldn't change it

Back