TS2012 trackwork messed up after transfer to TRS19

KotangaGirl

Pre-Grouping Railways Nut
AaN3eZo.jpg

This is the first time I've seen anything like this. I transfered one of my routes with storage loops at each end over to TRS19 SP3 from TS2012 3.7 and was surprised to discover that some of the trackwork in the loops was displaced out of position. The displaced trackwork can't be moved, edited or deleted, but other nearby trackwork that hasn't moved out of position can't be moved or deleted either. The spline point circles on these sections of track are yellow, but other sections where the spline points have remained white can be moved and edited.
The only way to remove the frozen in place trackwork is to copy a small square of ground and paste it onto a yellow spline point. That piece of track along with any other nearby frozen tracks will immediately disappear.

I thought perhaps removing the frozen trackwork from the loops and relaying them would be all I'd need to do, but all the trackwork on the layout has random frozen sections with the telltale yellow spline circles which means that my layout has been trashed and there's no point in trying to do anything more with it. And yes I do have backup copies so it's certainly not a total loss or anything.

Last edited:
Yeah had this at a few hundred places in my main route since SP2, seems its not reverted/repaired in SP3
hope you still got a TRS19 before any service pack and see if it behaves the same there
also check if no layers are frozen/locked and when you edit you are on the right layer

Might be OK if you reboot and then try loading the route again, was here when I had a similar issue.

Everything was fine and correct with the layers GM, that was one of the first things I checked. I have got an older version of TS2019 I could dig out of the archives to see if that is any better, but I most probably won't now since I've now installed my layout into TANE SP4 and all is well there and everything is running without any problems.
I had heard that there had been some kind of 'upgrade' with the way track splines functioned that hadn't been very successful and there had been some kind of fix in SP3, but it looks like the fix for the spline problem is still to come and hasn't happened yet. With the way things are I won't be taking any of my old routes/layouts further than TANE until the problem is sorted because it's pretty darn disheartening to see my work getting trashed.

I also tried loading rumour3's TANE model railway layout 'Porchester and Bull's Well' into TRS19 SP3 and several spline assets were hugely messed up on that as well. So it looks like I won't be retiring my copy of TANE any time soon.

If I recall there were some posts about early versions that had to go via Tane first before going into TRS19. It was to do with the way TRS19 handled the files.

I did wonder about that stagecoach, but in the case of the Porchester layout it was a TANE route to start with and it was still messed up.
Anyway my own TS2012 route is now running perfectly in TANE SP4 so I'm going to keep it there and not bother about trying to take it into TRS19.

Hi,

I've kept 2006, 2009, TANE on my PC as well as 2019.
The earlier programs are really for me to be able to downoad/use old layouts, then take them through 2009 -> TANE and possibly TS19.
There's a number of good creators still creating for TANE, and the transfer from TANE to TS19 doesn't always work perfectly. I've had routes/sessions where track mark has moved just a little bit - but prevented a train from clearing a signal/points.

I did try a route from 2006 -> TS19 but it was several steps too far!

Regards to all,

Colin

Colin, 2006 and earlier needs the 4 route named files in the route folder renamed to mapfile. obj, trk etc after importing into TRS19.
All imported routes can suffer the kinks but not all do. It has to do with a change to how curves are handled (geometry?) and it depends how the curves were built if you get kinky curves or not. It seems to affect curves made between 2 short pieces of straightened track more than anything else I've noticed. I had to fix it manually on a TS12 route I was importing.
cheers
Graeme

Colin, 2006 and earlier needs the 4 route named files in the route folder renamed to mapfile. obj, trk etc after importing into TRS19.
All imported routes can suffer the kinks but not all do. It has to do with a change to how curves are handled (geometry?) and it depends how the curves were built if you get kinky curves or not. It seems to affect curves made between 2 short pieces of straightened track more than anything else I've noticed. I had to fix it manually on a TS12 route I was importing.
cheers
Graeme

Yes I noticed that. Complex track formations where track has been straightened during their construction are affected too as well as roads where the straightening tool was used. With 'Porchester and Bull's Well' all the layouts fascia board splines were seriously trashed. From now on I won't be taking any of my old legacy layouts further than TANE as it's just too darn upsetting seeing one's hard work broken up yet again by TS2019/TRS19. It's a pity as I had high hopes for TRS19 SP3 until this happened.

Definitely not good news for those of us contemplating building in TANE to avoid the vagaries of the latest ‘19. If it wasn’t for the fact they aren’t bright enough to do it, almost think N3V had deliberately built something in to force users to use the latest version.

Personally I think Trainz is slowly dying, at the producer level. Last official announcement on the home page nearly two years ago. TRS19 full of issues like the vanishing consists but there is no roadmap for fixes or what might be a priority. The dysfunction of all the different versions and zero information about where the franchise is headed - can we expect a TRS22, 23 or is 19 the end of the line?

Soon the discussions will turn to the need for a connection to the N3V servers to load the program. If N3V locks the doors do all customers also go dark?

N3V follows Buckminster Fuller's dictum of form-over-function. That is, people will adapt to be able to have attractive "Fuller style" things even if they are a "pain". TRS19 is indeed the "prettiest" generation of the Trainz lineage. So the form part has been met. But, the function is now behind the curve of customer tolerance. The latest attempt at an update seems to be fraught with conflicts between fixes and the original problems.

So, we are along for the ride. So long as N3V focuses on the scene, more than the railroad, issues will plague their customers. However, do we want N3V to rebuild the AI which is the glue that commercially holds the enterprise together? Even train drivers are seeing oddities, since driving still needs many elements of the AI to create the pretense of a railroad.

I hope that N3V turns to function over form very soon.

PS: I visited Fuller's Falling Water home. It was weird.... Also, returned to TANE - portals function.

Last edited:
There's a bug in TRS19 SP3 that causes weird things to happen with track. TRS19 SP4 fixes that bug and the Plus test version has nailed it down completely with less sensitive junctions. The caveat is if you fix the weird snapped track in SP3, you may have places where you'll have to fix them again in SP4 to undo the fix you made in SP3. I found that out the hard way.

Yes, I'm visiting....

There is a lot of truth in what you all say, and the number of people going back to Tane continues to increase. All these comments have basically been said before, many times. Holding your breath to see if N3V wakes up is not recommended by the Surgeon General lol. The visit has also been noted, and just maybe SP4 will fix the bugs, but er, um, if it breaks previous fixes, that might get ugly! Hopefully it may provide Annie with a solution to importing routes, if she can even be bothered? It's a whole lot of work and some forget the sheer volume of work to make a route look good.

Lovely to see you here John. I'd heard the rumors about SP3 trashing trackwork from earlier versions, but I seem to have missed out all the fun with that when I transferred my Norfolk layout. It was my LMS Lickey bank layout that got its track trashed and that used a completely different track model to my Norfolk layout and that made me wonder if some types of legacy track were more susceptible to the SP3 bug than others. I also had a 1930s Uk road spline get trashed in places on on my Lickey bank layout as well.
Having got my fingers burned I won't be taking any more of my older layouts past TANE when I come to upgrade them. It's one heck of a lot of work to properly update an older layout and make it look good again and I'm too old and tired to have to constantly fix things the latest 'update' broke. I had a lot of hope for TRS19, but that's getting more and more tarnished as time goes by. I have been building layouts in TRS19 and some months ago I commissioned a rather expensive 19th century GWR Broad Gauge locomotive that's TS2019 only, so I'm having to stick with TRS19 and do my best to remain optimistic.

I have a Gold Plus+ subscription, but I look on that as being a donation to keep N3V from the poorhouse and I won't be taking on any SP4 updates until they are the final fully tested release version and I have everything well and truly backed up first.

Great to see you here John.

Is there a wider problem with splines in TRS19? I've seen splines randomly disappearing in TRS19 since the last SP. Some reappear, some seem to vanish for ever!

Paul

Great to see you here John.

Is there a wider problem with splines in TRS19? I've seen splines randomly disappearing in TRS19 since the last SP. Some reappear, some seem to vanish for ever!

Paul

Hi Paul,

There is an issue with some splines due to how they were constructed originally as well as some track. It has something to do with the LOD with some rendering better than others jankvis has been working on some new grass splines that look really nice have solved some of that problem. I've never had splines disappear completely, but I noticed that if there's a lot of them and the route is busy in that area, they will check themselves out of the scene.

Yeah, I've been popping in a little bit between practicing. It's good to be home. Today was one of those days where I couldn't get the hands to do their job the right way so I gave up rather than get more annoyed than I already was at the time. :)

Back