Microsoft's Linux

HiBaller

19 Years of Trainz
Looks like even Microsoft is recognizing Linux as a viable operating system. I haven't tried it, nor am I likely to as I figure they can't help but tinker with it, adding bloatware wherever possible.

Here's the link: Tom's Hardware

Bill

Yeah, an internal distro, not going to be something for the public consumer, from what I gather.

Yippee. As soon as Trainz makes a Linux version, MS will be gone forever from my computer. I have been using MS since Dos 5.0 (only when I cannot get a Linux equivalent program) and cannot wait to get rid of it finally. Horrible program. And there is NO way EVER that I would trust a Linux distro from MS.

Yeah, an internal distro, not going to be something for the public consumer, from what I gather.

I Googled the news after I heard. There are several links available, including one from Microsoft, that detail how to download and install it as an app on Windows 10.

Bill

According to Google, there is a Microsoft link detailing how to download and install the distro over Windows 10.

Yippee. As soon as Trainz makes a Linux version, MS will be gone forever from my computer. ......

Myself as well. The ONLY reason I have Windows (and I've gone from DOS 2.0 and Windows 3.11 upward) is because of the Flight Sim and Trainz. Once N3V recognizes the importance of Linux, they might come around.

Bill

Problem with Linux is there are far too many Distros doing there own thing, not to mention Ubuntu's unholy alliance with Microsoft in the past. Personally I don't have a problem with Windows current versions or non Ubuntu Linux and have used both since around 1995. Beta tested for Microsoft and PCLinuxOS and Mandrake in the past, had around 6 distros and FreeBSD running at one point, and one where I combined the best bits of each, I liked messing with different operating systems.

What's the betting there will shortly be a native version of MS Office for Linux. :eek:

You can run Linux in 10 now with WSL anyway so not really a surprise if MS have their own version, or is it borrowed from their mates at Canonical.

Last edited:
Virtually all those different distros use the same basic core OS. Most of the flavors are layered on top of this basic system. All N3V has to do is lay Trainz on top of this OS. Think of it as another distro of Linux -- the Trainz distro.

Bill

Linux is also much faster than Windows 10, and offers better gaming performance. if only more games supported it...

Back