Running out of Memory

PapaCharlie62

I have 4 updates from April 16, 2021 and was wondering if all 4 are required. If they are, is it possible to use a memory stick to store Trainz 2019 and the updates. Has anyone tried using a memory stick. I only have a laptop with 120 GB of memory, but the updates take up 56.4 GB (119 GB in use). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not a good idea running Trainz off a memory stick, they are not designed for running games. Better to use an external disk drive or SSD.

If I read your post correctly you say you have 120 gb of "memory" (I assume you mean disk). And you also say "(119 GB in use)" Does that mean your disk is absolutely full? That's not good. You should always allow some "overhead" (empty space) on your drive. If your dirve is completely full you are going to have problems.

Hi,

We have an old laptop and the old Hard Disc started to have problems (20 hours file checking, etc).
Replacing the HD with a modern SSD was really quite easy - a simple 3 GB drive was about £40 - Crucial also sell a USB -> IDE cable so you can clone the old disc easily.
The hardest part was finding how to access the old drive - it depends a lot on your laptop (some have SSD "sticks") and whether you need to take the case apart.

If you do consider this, calculate on buying a SSD with2x the capacity you estimate - cramming a SSD full will shorten its life.

Colin

Depending on the laptop manufacturer and model not all have upgradable SSDs, some are an integral part of the motherboard, may have more luck if it's actually a physical 2.5" HDD or SSD, I've just put an 240GB SSD in an ancient 15 year old Toshiba Laptop that came with Vista, only SATA2 so not full speed but still a heck of a lot faster than the 80GB drive that was in it, run Linux on it for years as it wouldn't even run Win7, no drivers. Drive was spare from upgrading the SSD to a larger 1TB one.

Colin are you sure about 3GB drive? that's smaller than the 120GB at that price it's more like a 240GB drive.

Last edited:
Hi Malc,
Thanks for spotting the error...
It should have read 250Gb

I was lucky, the old laptop actually had an access door for the ide drive - just 2 screws, open flap and replace.
Boot speed is really fast, and it's being used for Zoom, so we're not planning on using more than 20% of the disc capacity.
Colin

Back