Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Gamma

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

There are so many "external" monitor settings, it is questionable whether downloaders will see what you see in any event. i have a dual monitor setup on one of my systems, and it is nearly impossible to even get those to look the same. I agree with the part of your opinion that the important thing is to get the routes out there.
    Platinum 2019 Build 111951; 2019 SP1 Build 105096; TANE SP4 Build 105766
    I7-8700K; 1070Ti; Z370

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by neville_hill View Post
    All these pictures have the sun behind the viewer. The problem really manifests itself when you are looking generally towards the sun (ie SW to SE in the UK).
    Here is a screenshot looking directly into the morning sun with fog off, sun and ambient colours set to different shades of grey. Where is the glare apart from that you would expect when looking directly at the sun?

Trainz Plus build 111951 and build 114205
    Trainz Simulator 3 (Mobile)

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    Here is a screenshot looking directly into the morning sun with fog off, sun and ambient colours set to different shades of grey. Where is the glare apart from that you would expect when looking directly at the sun?

I would be interested in the same view, but with the camera high enough to see (e.g.) 8000m. Thx. Colin.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

It would be nice if we could actually save these post-processing effects, but even after all these years, since TANE came out and we were told that would be fixed at some point, that aspect seems to have been forgotten in search of more shiny and pretty things!

Anyway, I found going into the environment and resetting the environment to default first before adjusting anything else brings the lighting down to a similar to what we have in TANE and then I use that as my starting point.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Driver_Col View Post
    I would be interested in the same view, but with the camera high enough to see (e.g.) 8000m. Thx. Colin.
    Not sure about getting the camera to a height of 8km. The view switches to a vertical map view long before reaching that altitude. But pulling the camera back and up to a height just before it automatically switches to map view I was able to produce the following screenshots with different sun colour settings.

You can adjust everything so you can make the whole scene totally black at midday if you want.

These shots involved adjusting the 3 sky preview options. Click at the bottom, center and top of the sky preview window then adjust the sliders towards black to reduce "glare" in the sky.

I also chose a grey skybox, but you can clearly avoid any glare whatsoever looking in any direction. I hope this helps.

Tony Hilliam

Got questions about TRS19? Click here for TRS19 FAQs

Looking for answers to in-game functionality? Click here for help

I think you are missing the point we are trying to make Tony. Your last screenshot perfectly illustrates what we are talking about, - TRS19's harsh light that has too much of the blue spectrum for natural sunlight. As for making the skybox grey we all know about that one. All my blue Summer sky layouts from earlier versions that I successfully managed to transfer to TRS19 now have grey overcast skies and look like it's about to rain soon.

I posted this picture earlier in this thread. It's from my own WIP reworked clone copy of the Cornish Mainline. No shadows (because they look rubbish unless pushed out to Ultra); No fog; Gamma 2.0; Blue dial turned back one eighth more than the Red and Green dials. (The GWR 45xx is from TS2004 with its textures and mesh material settings optimised for TRS19, - it's definitely not a PBR engine!)
    Adjusting gamma is not the same as adjusting RGB or adjusting brightness.

Last edited by KotangaGirl; July 27th, 2021 at 07:38 PM. Reason: more information
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

Blog Entries

I'm sorry, but not only do I seem to be one of those who are obviously missing "the point" but I am failing to even see a point. I think that you are after something that does not yet exist in computer gaming video graphics systems - perhaps when we have 64K HD systems it may appear (but I would doubt that even that would meet all expectations).

My opinions

Maybe this is the answer. Everyone just use Crayola Sky Blue.

TRS19: Std SP3, Plus SP2, SP3, Beta 114400; Tane SP4

The point is this same time of day:

Looking into the sun.

With Sun behind the camera.

[URL="https://imageshack.com/i/pmem70Gzp"]

I can nullify it so it looks the same or close in both directions however I have to loose the sun to do it.
    Malc

Just to clarify (my previous message), I did state a camera height that allowed a viewing distance of 8000m. I did NOT suggest a camera height of 8000m (8Km). Regardless of that, and assuming that everybody is being up front with their pics, then I am at a loss to explain what I and others are doing wrong/not doing. I have defaulted my Routes to system settings. I have played with all 3 colours with and without the Shift key. I have set extremes of light and dark and used the slider to set the lighting. I have synched the time of day .... and I still get extreme glare at a specific viewing angle. Given that I tend to build "loop" Routes, that problem angle will always be there at a certain point in the loop. The only possible difference between what I get, and what has been displayed in earlier pics is that I am loading T-ANE Routes into TRS19. I am guessing that the TRS19 pics were of Routes created in TRS19 perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    I'm sorry, but not only do I seem to be one of those who are obviously missing "the point" but I am failing to even see a point. I think that you are after something that does not yet exist in computer gaming video graphics systems - perhaps when we have 64K HD systems it may appear (but I would doubt that even that would meet all expectations).

My opinions
    What we want Mr P is a dial/button/slider that allows us to permanently adjust the gamma setting so it doesn't have to be setup from scratch every time we start up Trainz. It's not the total answer to environmental lighting problems, but it would help more than just a little.

When all's said and done, it's a game and needs to be easy for non technically inclined people to adjust easily, all this knob twiddling with a mouse is in many cases seemingly unproductive.

Complicated can be left for the post processing settings that would be very useful if you could actually save them? Pretty Please?
    Malc

Blog Entries

I just went outside in the midday winter sun and took some photos of my modest suburban backyard. Facing directly towards the sun and away from the sun.

Same lawn, same grass but different colours.

Yes my Winter time yard here in the Waikato is much the same Mr P, though a little softer because it's about to rain fairly soon. Light does change with the direction of the sun, - none of us would dispute that, - but what we don't like is the sudden harsh change in the lighting as demonstrated by Malc's screenshots and which I definitely don't see in your backyard.
    I had hoped that a sensible discussion of our concerns would be possible, but already some dismissive and may I say it, elitist comments are beginning to be posted putting down those of us who aren't content with the environmental lighting as it presently stands.