Recommended settings for AMD Radeon 6800XT GPU?

MSGSapper

Trainz route developer
It's been a long time since I had a AMD graphics card. I just recently replaced my EVGA 1080 GPU with a brand new AMD Radeon 6800 XT GPU (Midnight Black Edition). My computer is a fairly capable system as follows.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming Z490- WiFi 6, LGA 1200 (Intel 10th Gen) ATX Gaming Motherboard
Power Supply: EVGA 220-G5-0850-X1 Super Nova 850 G5, 80 Plus Gold 850W
CPU: 10th Generation Intel Core i7-10700K Desktop Processor 8 Cores
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 DRAM Memory Kit
SSD: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 4 TB (C - Drive)
SSD: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 2 TB (D - Drive)
Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capellix Liquid CPU Cooler
Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG279QM 27” HDR Monitor, 1080P Full HD (1920 x 1080), Fast IPS, 280Hz, G-SYNC Compatible, Extreme Low Motion Blur Sync (ELMB SYNC), 1ms

Lots and lots of fans........

Question: While I am well familiar with recommended Nvidia settings for use with Trainz, I am not so much with AMD Radeon. To make Trainz look at its best, what settings would you recommend I set for the 6800XT GPU in both Trainz and the Radeon software?

Bob

After not hearing anything from Trainz users I looked around in YouTube and found a tutorial video that helped me to optimize the Radeon Software settings for gaming in general. Here is the link to that video which I found very helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1N4vV5BSoI

If anyone has suggestions how this could be better tweaked for Trainz I am all ears.....

Bob

MSGSapper - With your new rig's spec, I'd expect that you could and should easily get away with setting all of your Trainz Performance Settings on Launcher to their Max (or 'Ultra' in most cases) EXCEPT for Post Processing, which I'd recommend should be set to LOW to avoid built-in visual blurring.
Turn 'Use PhysX Simulation' to OFF and make sure that 'Process objects behind camera' is on.
Set the Draw Distance to 15000m if you dare and ensure that Shadows are set to Ultra. (Some routes look silly with maxed out distances, however, 'cos they have been built to look ok for just 6000m/ 6km and show the 'End of the World'/ truncated horizons/ mountain walls).
Let your Asus monitor handle the Vertical Synchronisation. Turn V-sync to OFF in TRS19.
Your CPU and GPU should be able to handle that easily.

Last edited:
MSGSapper - With your new rig's spec, I'd expect that you could and should easily get away with setting all of your Trainz Performance Settings on Launcher to their Max (or 'Ultra' in most cases) EXCEPT for Post Processing, which I'd recommend should be set to LOW to avoid built-in visual blurring.
Turn 'Use PhysX Simulation' to OFF and make sure that 'Process objects behind camera' is on.
Set the Draw Distance to 15000m if you dare and ensure that Shadows are set to Ultra. (Some routes look silly with maxed out distances, however, 'cos they have been built to look ok for just 6000m/ 6km and show the 'End of the World'/ truncated horizons/ mountain walls).
Let your Asus monitor handle the Vertical Synchronisation. Turn V-sync to OFF in TRS19.
Your CPU and GPU should be able to handle that easily.

Thanks for the tips which were helpful!

FYI I opted for a draw distance of 6000 meters. VSynch is turned off on my monitor by default and the monitor has a refresh rate set to 240Mhz. Here are some screenshots of my settings:

Trainz-Settings-2.jpg

and

Trainz-Settings-1.jpg

Bob

Back