DDA40X Australian Cousin?

Well, made by the same people with the same basic cab design. Have to say the Ausie loco looks worse though, the windows being that far apart (due to the horn I'm assuming) just makes it look like its eyes are 5 miles apart :hehe:

I See, I Wonder if they met they would be like "Did You Took My Design?!"
Basically Australia is like a mix between North American Railroad and the European Railways. (Most British & French)

Last edited:
The Cab on the C Class was designed here in Victoria with the Locomotive being built of a SD40 design in South Australia.

cmock.jpg

*During the design phase a mockup of the proposed cab was built at Newport workshops for appraisal by union and management. The mock up for the X 45 - 54 is seen on the right.*

This will save people scrolling through the link.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I like the fact that australia keeps using 1950s designs and are still in regular service today! (Not All of Them)
The American F unit's lastly until the late 1970s

Last edited:
Doesn't seem like the cab design has changed all that much in the US for twenty years or more. Kudos to those that can tell the various locos apart. I am real good with automobiles, but with US trains, can't tell the differences, at least not without looking at radiators and fans.

Back