steam engine service yard layout

I have been trying to find a good layout for steam/transition service layouts.

I have the roundhouse, sand tower, ash pit, water tower, but I cant seem to find a nice service/storage/maintenance layout on the web.

any help?

Last edited:
It sounds like you are looking for what order theses were laid out in and how far apart they would be... Short answer, what ever worked for the space they had.
Usually there was an inbound and outbound track from the table (the choke point of the system, by the way), the ash pit was on the inbound track and from there it depended on how the facility did things and what they had for space. One should ideally empty the ashpan on the inbound and fill the sand and tender on the outbound. The actual spacing will vary based on what the most common engine was when the facility was put in/renovated, as one wants to have as much "one stop" servicing as possible. If it is a through facility the consumables may not be directly by the table to enable the locomotives to continue on without backing them up. Remember crews will try to do things in the manner that requires the least effort on their part!
Hope this helps, got to go deal with life now and I'll try to come back to this...
Thor

Msgsapper has a small 'SAP Yard Merge Module'
<KUID:439337:101650> , you might see his other transition-era routes with yards to check out :
Indiana Western
<KUID:439337:100953>
Cattaraugus Creek & Lake Erie 1950s
<KUID2:439337:102423

Seneca, NY PRR X NYC Yards by csabie
<KUID:755494:100275> is a large representation of that interchange yard, track only.

The C&O Hinton route (payware) has some steam-oriented facilities.
[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

So... another place to look would be old pictures, especially aerial phots; or old maps, particularly valuation or insurance maps.
Some great suggestions as to actual Trainz routes with good facilities. You might also try the Whitshore route over at the Jointedrail site.
And... As I typed this reply I recalled that Kalmbach publishing put out a book about this. A quick look, and, it's called "Steam & Diesel Locomotive Servicing Terminals" and is still in print (or at least available on the Kalmbach website) and available on Amazon. That should have most of what you are looking for.
Thor

Back