licence of my models

garygreen

also known as Greeni
Is anyone else getting sick of people changing the kuid and reskining other peoples work with out asking.

[FONT=&quot]It's a reskin of my ECC TCA bogie Tank by author g_aleksej[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]kuid:799403:100014 Uploaded 30th June 2021[/FONT]

For me I include this line :-

license "No modifications without permission from greeni and Nexusdj."

Most people do ask but there are some that don't.

Is it worth all the effort to produce a model for someone to just copy it and re issue it in there own kuid.

This seems to be common practice now from some of the assets I'v seen uploaded. I try hard to keep to creators I know from earlier Trainz versions and try and check if new versions of the asset have an original on the DLS. Some don't even mention the original creator or thank them for all their hard work.

If someone has uploaded your content without permission to the DLS you can contact the helpdesk and have it removed. I've had this done a few times.

peter

A couple things to add on (mainly for others reading this):

The Helpdesk will only remove unauthorized version of your content; you cannot report content that someone else made. In other words you cannot request it on behalf of someone else.

If it's not on the DLS, then the Helpdesk isn't going to help. In which case, you need to contact the website it's on; most bigger sites (like YouTube) they will have a "DCMA" form you can fill or process out & they will remove it. For smaller sites, you can try contacting that site... but if they didn't ask permission in the first place, they're likely not going to listen to you now. I would recommend contacting their hosting provider.

peter

They can be a couple of reasons why some disregard the license tag. One of three scenarios.
A: They do it knowingly on purpose. (Example user: The infamous BillVu.)
B: They are too young to understand what the license means. (Example: Gramma. There was a massive thread about all of his illicit uploads from a few years back.)

Or even.

C: The reskinner speaks a different language and does not understand english to interpret the license. (Havent got a user for example because I don't know any.)

At one point in time I fell under scenario B but as I matured I now do things the right way. I.e. Attempting to contact authors for permissions to release.

Could add
D: Creator XYZ did it so it must be OK if I do.
E: Not understanding that Freeware means free to use, not alter or redistribute which seems to a common problem in internet land.

I've had some instances of direct clones, N3V removed them very quickly and presumably did some wrist slapping.

Back