Need opinions on this..

Today I uploaded a wall spline made of weathered logs. Now that I'm looking at it again, I think the shade of grey should be lighter, but I'm not 100% confident in that judgement. Before I do something radical, like issue an immediate update, what do you think?

kXQLHc2.jpg

Different woods weather quite differently. Some will darken with age, others will become lighter. Perhaps instead of updating and obsoleting the existing "darker" wood, issue a new and different asset with a lighter shade of grey.

Walking through our local woods, most of the fallen branches, logs, etc seem to be a bit darker than the image...
Mostly silver beech and birch.
So, I reckon that it's pretty good and I'd suggest leaving as is.
Given than different monitors and displays (and graphics' settings) will also have an effect on colouring, I don't think there's a problem.

And, thanks for all your content
Colin

I like what has been done and don't necessarily see any need to change it. I would fully agree with pware's comments. Would also like to add that Australia timber is often more red/reddy in color although it can go gray with age so several different colors rather than changing the one already done may be a better direction to go.

Also need to add that I love you stuff
Regards, Longbay

It looks very good, looks very new or newly built. This type of objects admit many variants and finishes (old, new, dirty, clean, with cracks, different widths of the logs and different colors, with damage to the logs .........)

I would "mess-up" the logs a bit. They look too much like plastic replicas. Very slight application of appropriate shades/colors. Maybe an imperfection or two where branches were sawed off. Wood by its nature is not uniform and that is a major feature of its attractive appearance. You could spend hours once you get into subtle shading, color, and imperfections.

To clarify, my only question goes to whether the texture needs to be a lighter shade of grey or can stay as it is (although jjanmarine's idea of a mix of shades could be good and would be fairly easy to implement).

I'm happy enough with the degree of imperfection in the texture (knots, splits, etc). And it's already quite poly-heavy at LOD0 for a spline, so I'm not keen on introducing 3D imperfections that require more polygons. I didn't mention this, but the spline is a random mix of 4 different repeat units and each of those has 4 levels of detail, so it's quite a beast already.

I think the current scheme looks great. Most woods do grey out over time besides from a distance and lighting effects they will show differently.
For those who want different shades or color, maybe you could offer reskin authority. Just my 2 cents.

Looks great, but I'd darken them just a taste if used in a shady area. If they go in a sunlit area, I'd leave them.

Firstly, thanks for all the replies and for the compliments. They have really helped.

I've decided to leave the texture as it is and, since all the hard work on meshes and config has been done, leave open the possibility of doing different textures for some future date. My immediate plan is to construct some retaining walls based on this one by adding end-caps and "ground planes" to go on top and to fill in the gaps between logs.

Well you did ask Deane,
To be honest the logs look as if they are missing texture colors and look like made of plastic.
Suggest make a darker grey tone with added colors in the texture to blend in with the surrounding scenery.
How would they look at different times of the day and night mode, and the season spring, summer, autumn, winter ?

Is it possible to allow the user to change colors/ shading? Just a user, so don't (know?) anything about it. ;)

I don't permit re-skins of any of my assets for distribution, as it says in my license (it's in the config.txt file of my assets). However, there is nothing stopping you changing the texture for private use on your own computer. That is basically the case for all Trainz assets that are not locked against edits.

I don't permit re-skins of any of my assets for distribution, as it says in my license (it's in the config.txt file of my assets). However, there is nothing stopping you changing the texture for private use on your own computer. That is basically the case for all Trainz assets that are not locked against edits.
Wasn't thinking of reskins, but within your asset. I thought I saw someone had a switch on a loco to go between weathered and clean.

Today I uploaded a wall spline made of weathered logs. Now that I'm looking at it again, I think the shade of grey should be lighter, but I'm not 100% confident in that judgement. Before I do something radical, like issue an immediate update, what do you think?

kXQLHc2.jpg

Hello Dean,

I like your Timber Wall a lot......I would enjoy one with Multi Colors too.........Thanks for this Asset, it would look great on any Route.......Your Tree Foliage here looks terrific too........:p

Thank you for all the hard effort........:wave:

Wasn't thinking of reskins, but within your asset. I thought I saw someone had a switch on a loco to go between weathered and clean.

I think that might be the "chameleon" scheme that you're referring to. I don't know if it applies to splines/scenery or just to rolling stock. In any case, it's way beyond my pay-grade, because I think it involves trainzscript.

Hello Dean,

I like your Timber Wall a lot......I would enjoy one with Multi Colors too.........Thanks for this Asset, it would look great on any Route.......Your Tree Foliage here looks terrific too........:p

Thank you for all the hard effort........:wave:

I'll leave a multi-coloured one for later, but meanwhile I've done a bit of re-thinking on this one. It's out there on the DLS as Log wall 01 and since it already has over 80 downloads, I will leave it there unchanged and not inconvenience anyone.

However, after some experimentation, I really do prefer a lighter grey, so I will issue that as a separate kuid, probably just called Log wall 02. And the log retaining walls I want to do will use the same lighter grey.

(p.s. The foliage in that screenshot is in a location I found on SirGibby's upcoming Murchison 3 layout. I chopped down a few trees to clear a spot for the wall).

Last edited:
Back