Obsolete Assets in Trainz

SRKing783

''Trainz Veteran''
Hi everyone,

I just have a quick question about obsolete assets (although it may be redundant, but I haven't played in a while). Here's an example of a current asset and one that has been obsoleted:

https://imgur.com/a/4X8t6PD

Since the obsolete version isn't a dependency for the current version, can I just delete the obsolete version? (Again, I know it's probably a dumb question, but I do have some older files that are lost to time, so I don't want to risk losing them forever in case the obsolete version is needed - which it probably isn't.)

I only really need a quick answer, and that's about it. Thanks in advance.

Assets only show as "Obsolete" once they have been replaced in your CM by the newer version, so it is safe to delete the obsolete version because you already have the new version.

It may have been obsoleted with a different asset. This can either be done on purpose using an obsolete-table; or by accident when assigning KUIDs by hand (I do this one a fair bit).

peter

With reference to the question:
What would cause an asset to become obsolete but not replaced in CM?

Just a thought:
Would that be when installing a Trainz Payware (route or Locomotive or Trainset) package?

The downloaded package when installed into Trainz may have kuid dependency updates, that are loaded into the Content Manager.

Also some kuid codes starting with -1 or -3 are now updated and changed to -25

Last edited:
To clarify what is making an asset obsolete, in CM you can right-click on the obsolete asset and choose “List Asset Versions”, then sort by kuid number.

This shows you the whole chain of versions and allows you to decide which one is the latest and to verify that it has a trainz-build number that is compatible with your edition of Trainz. If it is compatible, then you know you can safely delete any versions that are made obsolete by it.

This is the very odd thing about it all, it became obsolete after doing a extended database repair.

As well as not being able to see what asset's were dependent on it or the "list asset versions" all options like that are unavailable

Who's JCitron??

Also I learned from steve of K&L trainz that apparently my build number 61297 does not exists which could be the source of my cause, but I can not get it to up date further

Yes there are. There were several HotFixes. The last build should be 61388 (SP1 HF4). See here to read about it.

Also you are asking about TS12, but you only show TANE-Std in your timeline.

Yes there are. There were several HotFixes. The last build should be 61388 (SP1 HF4). See here to read about it.

Also you are asking about TS12, but you only show TANE-Std in your timeline.

Its not showing any patches I can download for TS12

I know I dont know why its like then when before it showed TS12 but changed when I bought TANE and I am not sure how to change it

They are available from Shane Turner's site here. I can never find it on the Trainz site now.

As for the timeline, just send a ticket to the Helpdesk (link at top of page) and they will sort it out for you.

Who's JCitron??

Also I learned from Steve of K&L trainz that apparently my build number 61297 does not exists which could be the source of my cause, but I can not get it to up date further

For whatever reason, 61297 is the build I have from my recent Amazon purchase, downloaded via Steam. So it does exist, although it doesn't fit Shane Turner's table of updates. It would be just before the last update. I downloaded the last update, but will it be installable (apparently SP4?), considering the TS12 resides in the Steam folder rather than the normal location? If I apply it will it break steam? (Not that I would mind as long as TS12 still worked).

Back