Trainz 19 user interface, selecting routes and sessions etc

HoDoubleO

I'm finding my feet with TS19, ( it's the first Trainz sim I've used, though I've used most of the others), and I'm more and more impressed with it. The quality of the graphics and realism is excellent and my fairly beefy hardware (RTX2080ti, i9 9900k, 32gb RAM) enables Ultra settings. I've tried moving my user data folder on to various discs, and the speed improvement from hard disk to M2 NVME ssd is amazing. No big difference when a session is running, but the load time of a large complicated layout is reduced from about 45 secs to 5 secs, (as they're about six times faster at reading).

The only thing that disappoints me is the main user interface, the one that displays the routes or sessions along the bottom of the screen as large thumbnail images. I haven't found any way to filter or organise them, so even though it's early days for me with adding content, I have to scroll past dozens of routes that interest me less to find the one I'm looking for, just alphabetically. It would be useful to be able to filter by country for instance.

Are there any third-party addons for content management (eg groupings etc.), like flight sims have ?

Also, when running a session on a route, when I try to temporarilly add a loco or consist, the interface for that seems very awkward too, with just a massive list in a small dropdown window and a strange clipped graphic appearing low down across the screen that is not recognisable, even on a 27 inch 1080p monitor.

If all else fails, I guess I would need some sort of PDF or printed catalogue of locos and stock with images and ref numbers. Does anything exist already for Trainz ?

The simplest way to filter them is to type in the first few characters of a name in the search box at the top of the screen.

The drop down menus also give you more filter options.

On the bottom right of the screen is a "sort By" box where you can select different sort options for the routes that have been presented. To the right of that is a down arrow that brings all the thumbnails up to fill the screen.

On the question of adding consists during the running of a session there is a QuickDrive option in TRS19 that will allow you to do that. I don't use that as I have TRS19 Platinum Edition and Trainz Plus which uses a Unified Driver Surveyor interface that allows rapid switching between the Driver and Surveyor modes.

edit: comment about UDS removed...

If you like Content Manager you can also use that to make filters for your routes and such. You can also launch routes and sessions from CM. But game icons are easier for me. As pware says above, the first thing I do when hitting that screen is to start typing the name of the route I want as the cursor is already in the search box.

Last edited:
The Unified Driver Surveyor interface is only in the TRS19 Platinum and Trainz Plus versions, not in the standard TRS19. TRS19 and TRS19 Platinum Edition are separate purchases. All three (TRS19, TRS19PE and Trainz Plus) all have the same code but your user registration unlocks the extra features found in TRS19 PE and Trainz Plus.

Correction/update: My post concerning UDS in core app..

pware, you are correct in posts above and below. Poor communication on my part, not reading carefully enough, and not enough coffee this morning I guess.

Last edited:
Which agrees with what I said. All three have the same core/code. The different features are turned on (or off) by your userID. If you have purchased the TRS19PE then the UDS is turned on. If you have purchased the Trainz Plus then the UDS and other features are turned on.

Thanks for the replies...

I get nil points for observation, :eek: Heaven knows how I missed the dropdowns at the top of that main selection page. They're exactly what I was asking for......

I may also have been a bit too hasty with my purchase of the program. I bought it via Steam, and there was no mention on there of Trainz 2019 Platinum, so I bought the ordinary 2019 version plus the platinum version of TANE, (which Steam had in its Summer Sale), so that I could get the bundle of routes.

I'm therefore just using my 2019 installation, and loading all of the content into that. It's disappointing to hear that I've lost out on some program features that I would have got in 2019 PE if I'd known about it beforehand.

...Anyhow, thanks for the heads up for the filtering options, it does make it much easier to use and with no worries about finding things when I eventually get it groaning at the seems with content !

If in the future if you are interested in Platinum version you can TRY before you buy. Just do a PLUS or Gold subscription for a month and try it. A lot of people don't like subscription models but GOLD/Plus subscription get's you everything (all features, all content, quarterly app updates, and availablility of beta releases) for the price of a couple of fast food drive throughs a month. Well worth it to me. You can always cancel the subscription and you'll return to your Standard edition. Then just wait for a super sale on Platinum. (Caution: Don't do beta releases if you don't enjoy beta testing and do them as a separate install. Beta tends to break things.)

Another benefit to subscription for a month is that you can try every single route available so in the future when you go back to your Standard you will know what the routes are and which ones you might want to buy. I believe you can even buy them with a discount before you quit the subscription.

Be sure to checkout all the Freeware and freeware routes (Content Manager). Many of them are better than than payware.

Last edited:
Thanks Mac.

Once again though, I seem to have jumped in too quickly, I'd already bought the silver membership, so at least I'm getting most of the content and faster download speeds... :)

It's likely that you'll really enjoy Silver. I'm a sucker. The conversation here about UDS, Standard Edition, and such made me purchase a Standard Edition copy and install under a totally separate account. I'll retain a copy of the full installer. It's mostly for "nostalgic" reasons.

I was blown away by the graphics already, but now that I'm gradually getting to grips with the interface (thanks to forum help), I'm enjoying it even more.

I think I'd mentioned in previous posts that I've tried Train Sims for many years now and own TS2020 and TSW 2 which both have their plus points, but Trainz 2019 has managed to sate my interest much better, with the "layout" simulation and huge content.

I haven't tried building anything yet, though I've viewed quite a few youtube videos on the subject and it looks very straightforward.

I'm stunned at the quality of many of the free downloadable layouts like Dearnby and Bodmin & Wenford. The level of detail is amazing and the way that TS19 displays it at Ultra settings takes the immersion way beyond that of a real physical layout.

If/when Trainz ever implements VR then a large proportion of Model railway Enthusiasts will use virtual layouts instead, as it gives them the samepotential for creativity with no space or cost contstraints. No need for a huge loft any more !!

I'm currently also running Run8. Trainz franchise is "fun" and "flexible" with route creation. Run8 is highly prototypical and you are forced to learn real railroading to be successful. (And expensive if you obtain routes and trainsets.) I own TS2021 and TSW2 but I gave them up. I vew TRS-19 and Run8 as the best of both worlds once you have a clear understanding of each. Graphics in Run8 are nothing compared to Trainz but then, the world is designed to be seen from within a loco, or manually throwing a switch lineside. But for real railroading it can't be beat. I like both environments and I switch back and forth.

Back