Stepping away from Trainz...

The one caveat I would add for John and anyone else (including myself) getting pee'ed off. Give going back to TANE a chance - it avoids most of the bloated baggage, numerous versions and old content looking like carp that TRS19 has brought. SP4 is pretty stable unlike where TRS19 is right now. Yes it might not look as pretty, but given you can't even save the extended post processing settings in TRS19 hardly a huge bother.

As my thread title says, I'm stepping away from everything Trainz for an unknown period of time

Oh John C, the forums will not be as welcoming and helpful without you around. N3V should really have been paying you a stipend for all the advice and assistance you have given people, on problems both small and great.

Have a good Trainz holiday buddy, I'll miss you. I hope you and yours fare well in the future.
A71

I agree whole heartedly with all these friends who have offered their understanding, sympathy, thanks, and good wishes.

Ray

John, I'll respect your request and I'll not PM. But... I hope you see this and I do hope you will PM me concerning getting that sim "love" again.

The one caveat I would add for John and anyone else (including myself) getting pee'ed off. Give going back to TANE a chance - it avoids most of the bloated baggage, numerous versions and old content looking like carp that TRS19 has brought. SP4 is pretty stable unlike where TRS19 is right now. Yes it might not look as pretty, but given you can't even save the extended post processing settings in TRS19 hardly a huge bother.

Thank you for resetting my old and tired brain, Vern, that option didn't even cross my mind. I am going to remove TRS19 from my hard drive ( not using it anymore ) and re-install TANE.

Ron

Sorry to hear this, John. But I fully understand. I've noticed the steady decline of the quality of experience in each succeeding version of Trainz. I deal mostly now with TANE and probably will do most of my building in this version. Everything above it is buggy, hard to use, and keeps changing like trying to nail jelly to a tree. My chief complaint: altering menu's for absolutely no reason at all other than to confuse those who have gotten used to doing things a certain way. Long-term complaints, such as letting US deice the color schemes in menus, "?" entries, and other places where text entries can be put. Whoever thought of light gray on a charcoal background has to be color blind.

Bill

John

Like Bill above, I can understand why you feel the need to retire from Trainz.

In many respects it has become too complex. I remember Trainz from when it came as a CD before Christmas 2001, 22.5 years ago, it was a hobbyist's delight and when GMax came along it was complete. Gradually, as it developed it became less and less a 'hobby'. I don't blame Auran for this, they need to make money, but in my opinion they should have developed the creation aspect at the same time.

Anyway, I have recently become aware that I wasn't getting the pleasure of creating for Trainz that I used to enjoy and your thread has prompted to join you in retiring from Trainz. I acknowledge that this will hardly matter when compared with the effect of your retirement but in the unlikely case that someone needs help with my content, I will respond to an email or a PM and I am not removing Trainz or GMax from my hard drive.

Narrowgauge

John

Like Bill above, I can understand why you feel the need to retire from Trainz.

In many respects it has become too complex. I remember Trainz from when it came as a CD before Christmas 2001, 22.5 years ago, it was a hobbyist's delight and when GMax came along it was complete. Gradually, as it developed it became less and less a 'hobby'. I don't blame Auran for this, they need to make money, but in my opinion they should have developed the creation aspect at the same time.

Anyway, I have recently become aware that I wasn't getting the pleasure of creating for Trainz that I used to enjoy and your thread has prompted to join you in retiring from Trainz. I acknowledge that this will hardly matter when compared with the effect of your retirement but in the unlikely case that someone needs help with my content, I will respond to an email or a PM and I am not removing Trainz or GMax from my hard drive.

Narrowgauge

Well, that's a double whammy.

My appreciation for all you have done over the years narrowgauge, glad to hear that Trainz will stay on your drive.

Last edited:
...Anyway, I have recently become aware that I wasn't getting the pleasure of creating for Trainz that I used to enjoy and your thread has prompted to join you in retiring from Trainz....

Narrowgauge

Oh Peter,

Indeed a double whammy, but I had a feeling this was coming. With the massive legacy of content you have bequeathed to the Trainz community, I think you have more than earned the right to relax. So enjoy the real world without needing to worry about vertices, polygons and flippin' normals.

~ Deane

Wondered why I felt drawn here last day or so. Both surprised and yet not surprised. You go so far and then that's it. What does sadden me is that John felt so - best word - defeated by Trainz, which I'm sure is especially galling for such a patient, enduring person.

I would echo Vern above (#41): give TANE another chance. For my own part, I still think I got out at a high point, and so can still work with what I have.

But let me tell you what really sickens me here: NOT ONE WORD OF APPRECIATION FROM THE YO-YO THAT RUNS THIS OUTFIT. What a contrast of personalities here (no need to elaborate).

Best of luck, y'all....

Yep, another volunteer discouraged, with maybe more waiting in the wings. Some of them may take the MacArthur approach and just fade away.

Can Trainz continue without experts, like John acting in place of a paid staff ? The "customer service" department of N3V.

N3V has used their customers as unpaid employees. These volunteers operate on the fringes with no well defined process for their input in N2V's decision processes. They recommend changes but without any visibility or control of their incorporation. I admire the patience of these volunteers. Asking what happened to a suggested change, they sometimes seem to receive no substantive answers. The missing element is respect. Respect beyond just a simple Thanks. Volunteers should be formally organized and be made a functioning part of the commercial process.

Phimat, why do you assume that N3V staff have got the time to read every post in every single forum? I don't and I am retired. And if they did I am sure there would be criticisms of them doing too much "lurking" and not enough "fixing".

Zec and Tony seem to concentrate on the beta test forum and the SPx announcement threads, which is where I would expect them to be.

Just my opinion.

Any chance of this thread not decending into a punch up?

If there are points to be made, perhaps a new thread rather than hijacking this one.

So sorry to hear that John. I've truly appreciated the tremendous support you have displayed to many Trainzers, including myself over the years.

I too have have a fairly quiet 18 months and just dabbled with a few items here and there.

But I still love reading the Forum each day and sometimes, I get to learn something new. When that happens, I get motivated to dabble more.

I wish you all the very best mate; and it would be nice to touch base now and then. Stay well and keep healthy!

Cheers,
Roy

Sorry to see anyone that has been so helpful go, but it is a hobby and interest is bound to fade over time. Having said that is you look at the replies here it is amazing the number of people who list UTC or TRS2004 in their timeline. I came over from Microsoft Train that had a fairly short life span. Not in my wildest dreams after buying TRS2004 would I have expected to still be using it in 2021. God luck to all.

Rob

So the knowledge fountain is switched off, good luck with your fresh interests, you have been a great help to us all.

, but it is a hobby and interest is bound to fade over time. God luck to all.

Rob

I don't know........it's been going on for almost 20 years and hasn't faded yet. Maybe in another 20, I'll have a route finished. I have to get it right. God luck to everyone, too. .......Hey John and Peter, do you mind leaving your brains and courtesy here for our benefit please ?

Again another unexpected shock :(

Thanks Peter for all you have done and the inspiration many have drawn from you, I can understand where you are coming from but please don't be a stranger and keep in touch.

Back