Trackside signal- Placement and direction

redbaran11

Hi all,
I have a question pertaining to signal placement on the trackside tab. There's a particular signal that just won't go in the direction and placement i want and need it. Specifically, the track is westbound thus the signal needs to face east. When I add it, it attaches facing eastbound but on the left side of the track whereas it is supposed to be in the right. Rotating the object simply flip flops whats right and wrong, putting it on the side I need it on but facing the wrong direction. Is there any way to specify this in surveyor? If not, is it possible to edit the asset itself to attach on the desired side and direction?

Thanks!

Signals are usually designed to be placed facing on one side of the track only, so using the 'rotate' option indeed will flip it to the opposite side but facing in the opposite direction. This is because the normal placement of signals can differ depending on where you are in the world - the UK, Australia and other Commonwealth countries usually have signals on the left side of the track, where as the US and Europe for example have signals on the right. Default Auran signals usually have an L or R on the side of signal names in Surveyor which states which side of the track they appear on, but third party signals often lack this.

Have you checked on the DLS whether that particular signal has a 'right' sided counterpart? (If it's DLS content)

If you can clone the asset for your own use, look in the config txt. for an item as follows:

trackside -2.25

To move the signal to the other side just remove the minus sign, or add one if it currently reads, say, 2.25. You can adjust the distance from the track by altering the number.

Ingha

It sounds to me like you are using the "L" version, or left side version of a particular signal. Look for the same model without the L in its name if there is one.

What signal is it?

KUID is helpful too.

Signal is JR SL(04) 1-H-L left 15ft, kuid2:45324:555100:1 Unfortunately its the only what the suites the particular one I need. single head left offset... there doesn't seem to be one designated for the right side. Will try editing the config file when i get a chance to hop on.

You've given the wrong kuid, 555100 is a library. I've had a quick look, and I see your problem, the right hand version is offset to the right. The only solution I can see is to contact JR directly and see if there is a version of the signal you require, or for local use you could clone the asset and reverse the 'offset' tag as suggested above.
Perhaps there is also some confusion in relation to the word 'offset', you are using it to refer to the position of the signal head relative to the signal post, the 'offset' in the config refers to the distance from track center to the post, and a minus offset changes which side of the track the signal appears on...

You need to use <kuid2:506034:501035:1> JR SL(04) 1-H right 15ft, the right-hand equivalent of this signal.

You've given the wrong kuid, 555100 is a library. I've had a quick look, and I see your problem, the right hand version is offset to the right. The only solution I can see is to contact JR directly and see if there is a version of the signal you require, or for local use you could clone the asset and reverse the 'offset' tag as suggested above.
Perhaps there is also some confusion in relation to the word 'offset', you are using it to refer to the position of the signal head relative to the signal post, the 'offset' in the config refers to the distance from track center to the post, and a minus offset changes which side of the track the signal appears on...

Ooops, my bad, but seems you found it. When I say offset I do indeed mean in relation to the center of the post. So left of center of post offset , right of track placement. Which seems to be the only signal not in the library lol. I'll send JR a message, as it is a route i would eventually like to put on the DLS.

Back