AI train locks junction miles away

Thai1On

Slave to my route
On my route I have "traffic" trains running on the mainline coming from various portals. The idea is to do road switching in between them. The problem I'm having is an AI train miles away locks a junction miles away. I have the junction target radius set to 1 meter but still it locks? Any suggestions?

Dave

Put in some in between signals and try a track mark in between to give the AI trains another goal to seek rather than the one furthest away.

Depending upon your track, I would use permissive signals in between the absolutes found where the tracks merge to single track.

Diverging ------ track splits into 2-tracks ----- with Absolute protecting each line ---------- Permissive signals for each direction ------- repeat as many as required -------- track merges to single track----- Absolute signals protecting both lines---- track entry now protected by Diverging signal.

This seems to keep the AI from hogging the whole line making things impossible for us to do anything.

I hope my pseudo diagram helps.

Sometime ago I posted my solution to what I think you are asking. Here is the entire post.

I had this problem and found a solution that worked:
At start of session, all was normal. Switch Z is the problem, being locked by a train (Train A) far away, making Train B wait.

Then Train A passed a jct X, but A was still a long way from switch Z.
Then Train B passed a jct Y, but B was less than .25 km away from switch Z.
Yet Train B got stuck just before switch Z and had to wait for Train A to pass thru switch Z. No way to run a railroad.

Solution: Somewhere along the stretch of track Train A would travel between X and Z, I added a siding. This makes switch Q. No plans to use the siding.
So now Train A is between X and Q instead of X and Z, which means Z will now be locked for use by Train B and all is well.
So in short, the AI must consider a section of track between switches as the controlling factor regardless of length.

Sometime ago I posted my solution to what I think you are asking. Here is the entire post.

I had this problem and found a solution that worked:
At start of session, all was normal. Switch Z is the problem, being locked by a train (Train A) far away, making Train B wait.

Then Train A passed a jct X, but A was still a long way from switch Z.
Then Train B passed a jct Y, but B was less than .25 km away from switch Z.
Yet Train B got stuck just before switch Z and had to wait for Train A to pass thru switch Z. No way to run a railroad.

Solution: Somewhere along the stretch of track Train A would travel between X and Z, I added a siding. This makes switch Q. No plans to use the siding.
So now Train A is between X and Q instead of X and Z, which means Z will now be locked for use by Train B and all is well.
So in short, the AI must consider a section of track between switches as the controlling factor regardless of length.

That was the solution in the past when we didn't use the scripted signals.

The simple solution is to use track marks near the potentially-contested junctions and route the portal traffic via sequential track marks in their Driver Command List. That way they won't lock up the junctions too far ahead.

It seems the track mark is the answer. The block signals are catching any traffic coming down the mainline until I vacate the mainline.

Thank you everybody for your help. All y'all are the best!

Dave

Back