Help a Noob understand 3rd party paid content ie jointed rails

fruhj

Hi,

I need help understanding 3rd party paid content in Trainz 2019

I have trainz 2019 purchased direct (ie not the steam version)

Can someone walk me through the basics?

I have all kinds of questions like...
Q1 -when to buy from the trainzportal website vs when to buy direct from someone like jointedrail.com - it appears some of the same content is available on both platforms.
Q2 - is any of this easier to manage if I would have bought the steam version and gotten DLC from there?

- Jack

Trainz is a mixture of content creators. It originally started as a game engine with a few bits of content but it allowed end users to create and add content. You can find content on both the DLS and third party sites such as jatws.org. Additionally there is payware initially this was on third party sites but N3V hosted some and sold it as DLC.

Some freeware content is of a very high standard, look for content by whitepass for example.

If you buy through N3V's DLC then N3V take a cut of the profits, buy it direct then the end creator gets a bit more. The N3V DLC volume sales might be slightly higher than through your own web site. DLC sold through Steam, well Steam take their cut first, then N3V, then the content creator.

Cheerio John

To add to what John says, Jack the same assets maybe offered by both parties. N3V has a one-stop install using their Content Store just as Steam does through their DLC packages, but this comes at a cost, meaning that the models and routes maybe easily installed but they can't be modified. The stuff is locked down on N3Vs content packages on the behest of the content creator so it's not N3V doing it automatically.

If you were to purchase outright for example, the Tidewater Point route directly from Jointed Rail, you can go in and modify the route. You can clone it, expand it, put in more industries, and even go as far as merging that route into another. The same with directly purchased locomotives and other content. You could, if you have the capabilities to do so, edit the direct purchased assets. Granted, this isn't so easy these days, but it can be done. The thing is, this content can't be uploaded to the DLS and is only for you to enjoy.

Installing from Jointed Rail is a manual method. You need to open up Content Manager and drag in the CDPs, or use File Import Content Package (drag and drop is easier). Once installed, you have to revert anything that's been left open for edit. This is due to the same assets already installed. I use an open-for-edit window to start with and revert anything open after I've installed everything.

When it comes to purchasing stuff from third-parties, I will always purchase direct from them and not from N3V because I don't like the locked down assets, if the same assets are offered both direct as well as by N3V.

Thanks John and John!
Ok so it sounds like the way to go (at least for routes) is to buy direct from the producer whenever possible. Is there a similar advantage for rolling stock and locos?

If either John has Tidewater 2 for 2019 from jointed rail - does it use the newer track where you can see the turnouts move?

I see there's a 4th of july sale at jointed - it looks to be about 30% off, Is that kind of typical for a sale or should I wait for Black Friday?

And do either of you have experience with that clubcar subscription? Looks like a decent amount of content for $60, but I'm not in the know - maybe all that's included with the paid routes?

And do either of you have experience with that clubcar subscription? Looks like a decent amount of content for $60, but I'm not in the know - maybe all that's included with the paid routes?

I can't really comment on Tidewater 2 since I don't have it, but with Club Car, in addition to the free content, you also get a 25% discount on nearly everything Jointed Rail offers, and that's only good on the JR website. You also get deeper discounts than the general public during sales and early access to new content (or at least you used to, I'm not sure if they do that anymore).

It definitely pays for itself if you intend to buy a lot of JR content.

Matt

Last edited:
Thanks John and John!
Ok so it sounds like the way to go (at least for routes) is to buy direct from the producer whenever possible. Is there a similar advantage for rolling stock and locos?

If either John has Tidewater 2 for 2019 from jointed rail - does it use the newer track where you can see the turnouts move?

I see there's a 4th of july sale at jointed - it looks to be about 30% off, Is that kind of typical for a sale or should I wait for Black Friday?

Yes it does have the new Pro-Track. It's the same route except without the lockdown. Wearsprada (Alex) is coming out with an update to fix the broken derail among other things.

I don't have any experience with the Club Car, but I have purchased plenty of content from Jointed Rail. I have all the routes they offered, including those from the past, and they are all very, very well done. I have both Legend of the BN and merged those together with some other routes to make a massive route. I highly recommend the Eagle River, which was one of the merged routes into the above-mentioned routes, as well as Coal Country and the Dead Brook and Esopus, but they're all top notch. The Club Car is just a discount program for content including routes.

The routes come in two flavors.

1) The route and additional content is in a complete package. (multiple downloads, but one whole package).

2) The route is free, but the additional content is purchased separately.

In this case, if you buy the route, you get the content downloads with it. In other words, you are paying for the content and not the route.

JR also offers content packs above and beyond this, meaning the Coal Country, for example, comes with additional locos and other rolling stock, sessions, and other stuff. In this sense it's like a model railroad with extra accessories available later.

"The Club Car is just a discount program for content including routes" <---This is incorrect.

Club car also grants you access to 82 additional assets, including exclusive club car only assets, these include locomotives, freight cars, and scenery items.

The best part unlike N3V's content vault if you have already downloaded them you do not need to keep renewing your membership to use them.

The discount is nice as well.

_sd24b

Link to the Club Car Asset pages https://jointedrail.com/club-car/

Last edited:
Back