When big tornado hits the electrified mainline... :-/

JAGG

dsc-5818.jpeg
ukazobrazek.php

ukazobrazek.php
203370740_2343598955770262_5765387830828828028_n.jpg
204409130_2343598965770261_7935254813927873501_n.jpg
7066583_pocasi-tornado-mikulcice-v0i.jpg

Same mainline serving now as the parking place for the emergency accomodation train for the rescuers and people without shelter...
208230543_4057695270980144_1950189499450264830_n.jpg

A huge tornado hit Jonesboro in March, 2020, and wiped out our mall. So now we don't have a Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, or Bed Bath & Beyond. And they don't have any plans to rebuild. It was such a beautiful mall...

Wow, again ! Sorry to hear this too. I remember hearing about a tornado that hit part of Nashville, TN, but I didn't know about one in Jonesboro doing that kind of damage to a mall.

I have always heard of tornadoes in the U.S., but European tornadoes don't get much press over here, It never occurred to me until now they happen other places!

Sorry to hear about Tornado, and the 6 lives lost in Czech Republic........

Mother Nature can do some unbelievable things..........

Out here, on Whole Pacific Coast we are in a Mega Drought, with Wild Fires, and since we are known as "Shaky Town" (Earthquake Center San Andreas Fault Etc) I would expect with all the Water Levels very low, Historic Lows, will probably get a Nasty Earth Quake from the uneven Weight Distribution of missing Lakes now turned to Mud Cakes Etc..........

I have never lived in Tornado Alley or any other areas same, but I have seen some Water Spouts, and we had some wanna be Tornadoes that tore out some Lawn Chairs and Wood Fencing.......

Nothing like you see in the Pictures you showed........:(

Going to take a while to restring and repair Electrical Structure, probably very expensive too!!! That RR won't be up running in few days, like a bad derailment......This one looks much worse........

Thank you for sharing......:wave:

While I live nowhere near Tornado Alley, which is the US Plains states, I do live in Dixie Alley, which is a lesser-known tornado alley that gets some nasty tornados that can cause massive damage due to several reasons:
1. ripping up trees in a forest and throwing them along the tornado's path
2. majority of the mobile homes in the US, which are not tornado-proof, are located in the Southeastern US
3. People are not familiar with tornados occurring in Dixie Alley, so the fatalities are often higher than in Tornado Alley for similar tornados
4. Buildings are not designed to be 'tornado-proof' in Dixie Alley like those in Tornado Alley
5. The largest tornado outbreak ever recorded, the 2011 Super Outbreak, had its epicenter over Dixie Alley. Also, during the outbreak, an EF5 Tornado took out the town of Ringgold, Georgia, not far from where I live, but everything that was taken out by the tornado was rebuilt. I have a lot of memories stopping at the Taco Bell in Ringgold, pulling off Interstate 75 after going to church on Sunday and getting lunch there on the way to go shopping at Chattanooga, when I was younger. Unfortunately it and majority of the fast food chains in Ringgold were taken out by the tornado.
6. Tornados in Dixie Alley are often 'rain-wrapped' meaning they are completely shrouded by rain, so they cannot be seen by people on the ground, and can only be spotted by radar
If you want to read more about why Dixie Alley tornados tend to be deadlier than Tornado Alley tornados, check out this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Alley

Interesting stuff Jordon412. I looked up Ringgold on Google satellite view. Looks like a really nice area to live!

The severe storm "season" is about to begin soon, although there have been some severe storms and tornados already. I just got an email from Daniel Shaw saying that he's coming up from Australia sooner than normal to catch the beginning of the season on March 30th.

The supercell thunderstorms that spawn the tornados in Dixie Alley are also long-lived due to the high amount of warm and moist air feeding them off the Gulf of Mexico. The supercell thunderstorms huge HP supercells which are the most dangerous due to their ability to bury the tornadoes inside their precipitation.

In addition to the long-lived supercells and their tornados, the large number of very large trees block the sight of the impending tornados. It's bad enough that there's a tornado and a big one at that, which could be rain wrapped and dropping grapefruit sized hail too, but it's worse with huge trees blocking the view.

In addition to inadequate shelters, it's also unfortunate that people aren't educated in the severity of the storms and don't take the warnings seriously, or better yet pay more attention to the weather around them. Many people ignore the warnings and continue about their day rather than seeking shelter. For those in mobile homes, the best place, if there can be one, is in the bathroom or some other interior room.

Never, never attempt to out run a tornado, and definitely do not seek shelter under a bridge. The people that did that were lucky to survive and sadly others saw the video of it and do that now. The problem is even if the tornado doesn't hit the people directly, there's the winds that will do the damage caused by the Bernoulli effect. The high-pressure winds, caused by the air being forced through a small space will suck the people out. If they happen to survive that, there's always debris that will be sucked into the small space and they can be maimed if not killed by debris. There's a video on this I think on the National Weather Service website.

In addition to watching these on video, both on livestream and on regular videos, I have gone severe storm chasing and I have not only witnessed these storms, I have also seen the damage they can cause. I've been lucky not to have to engage in search and rescue but I have seen houses flattened as if someone stomped on a cardboard box, trees completely stripped of foliage, and even furrows dug into the ground as the tornados scrub the earth.

Back