Bit of a scare

mikeaust

Went out for my daily coffee with my BFF and had a blackout. Turns out my heart stopped for 15 seconds. Happened again when the ambulance arrived. they are only a few minutes from the shopping centre. They caught the second one on their machine.
So the result of this I now have a pacemaker fitted to keep things in check. Turns out I have been having these blackout since I was 15, now 74. Had 6 during those years. There was always a logical reason when they happened.
So now I am the Eveready Bunny, wont be able to stop me Lol.
The only thing I suffered was that I fell onto the tiller of my gopher hitting my left shoulder and stirring up a rotator cuff problem from years ago. Is very painfull and is very close to the battery. Worst thing is that I have my left leg amputated and that's the side I sleep on so not getting much sleep at the moment.
Cheers,
Mike

It's a pity we can't wind the clock back and start our lives afresh - We may do things slightly differently the 2nd time around.

A remedy for not dropping off to sleep when you want,... is a nice hot chocolate followed by a Baileys Irish Cream.

It puts me into La-La land 10 minutes after hitting the sack and I get to sleep uninterrupted all night.

If it's a bit slow, just have an extra Baileys. I hope the pain eases up for you mate!

Cheers Mike,
Roy

I would like to offer my congratulations on surviving such an ordeal and hope that your life improves from now on :)

Cheers
Graham

Went out for my daily coffee with my BFF and had a blackout. Turns out my heart stopped for 15 seconds. Happened again when the ambulance arrived. they are only a few minutes from the shopping centre. They caught the second one on their machine.
So the result of this I now have a pacemaker fitted to keep things in check. Turns out I have been having these blackout since I was 15, now 74. Had 6 during those years. There was always a logical reason when they happened.
So now I am the Eveready Bunny, wont be able to stop me Lol.
The only thing I suffered was that I fell onto the tiller of my gopher hitting my left shoulder and stirring up a rotator cuff problem from years ago. Is very painfull and is very close to the battery. Worst thing is that I have my left leg amputated and that's the side I sleep on so not getting much sleep at the moment.
Cheers,
Mike

Glad they fixed you up ok, I had a rotator cuff issue a few years back, no fun at all. You have my sympathy, it can be fixed if you do the right exercises but it takes a fair while.

Getting old is definitely not for sissies. Surviving an ordeal like that one, - it would have been a real scare. Good that the medical folk were able to fix you up with a pacemaker so it won't happen again.

Thanks all, the gopher is a big baby so didn't fall too far. The last time the rotator cuff played up it was for nearly two years of intense pain. had to wait over 9 months to get to see someone at the hospital. It went away two days before the date to go.
I never had a sick day until I was 55 then everything went haywire.
Made me think about the passing out because I drove trucks in Melbourne, tractors in the southeast of South Australia where I was on one block for 3 months with hardly anyone around.
The staff from the ambulance and in Cardiac care were really great.
Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike,
I'm really sorry that you've had to go through all this physical torment. Prayers for your comfort and safety.

Any idea what triggered these blackouts or what might have contributed ?

Going well now, life back to normal.
Just stress I think, always worked long hours in jobs that stressed me out.
Had a mild stroke in my early 30s working too many hours.
I had a quad bypass in 2008. Then 9 operations over 6 months just before I lost my leg due to complications from all the surgery.
I have always had a very positive attitude and lived life to the full. Slowing down a bit now though.
I am glad I have had Trainz and other simulators to fill in my hours every day and keep the old grey matter stimulated.
Thanks for all your messages.
Cheers,
Mike

Glad to hear you still have a positive frame of mind Mike despite what has happened to you of late and I'm happy for you that you still have a passion for Trainz keep at it mate.
Cheers Mick.:wave:

Thanks Mick Trainz has been a big mental help over the years. mainly when poor health forced me onto disability. I was a workaholic doing 14 to 16 hrs a day.
Cheers,
Mike

Good Lord Mate,

Sounds like you have been to thru some unreal issues, God Bless you and keep you for better days ahead........

I had a family member who went thru hell n back with torn rotator from Sports injuries, they never thought it come to the fact, surgery was needed, and when it did, Doctor found even more Muscular Tears than what showed on MRI....Took about a year after surgery due their waiting longer than they should to get it done.....But now they are OK.....

You surely have had your batch of Surgeries OMG......Can't imagine 9 of them.....Insane, but I get it......:eek:

Hope things improve, and like others noted, having a positive mind, despite the hell you've been thru is a testament of your unbelievable courage too survive it all.....My hat is off to you Sir with the fullest of respect.......;)

Take care, and your in my Prayer book for next Sunday........:wave:

The thing was that because of all the ops, I could only have what they call a Twilight sedative that doesn't knock you out completely.
I heard the saw when they were doing the cut. was muffled. Also heard the voices, like being under water.
Much fun.
Also when they put the Pacemaker in the first one was a dud. Never had it happen before. So they had to open the pocket and pop the new one in. Was sent back to the manufacturer with a nasty note. I had to end up fasting for 3 days in a row
Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
Back