Windows 11 is coming: What does it mean for Trainz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This leaves a bunch of relatively recent and still very capable CPU's (including my i7-7700K) in the dust.

Thanks for the update. That explains the failure of my Dell Inspiron Gaming Laptop (i7-7700HQ)

Well here we go again - my computer is just on a year old with all the latest bells and whistles at that time (64 gig ram i9 9800t) and the Win11 compatibility tool gives me a FAIL!
Best they rethink the requirements before release otherwise Win11 may be dead in the water too!

Oh! and then the feedback from the Win11 tool tells me that I can keep on running Win10 and they will still keep giving me updates - thanks for nothing!

I guess someone will come up with a hack to make it install on a comparatively new system that gets the Win11 thumbs down.

Last edited:
Well here we go again - my computer is just on a year old with all the latest bells and whistles at that time (64 gig ram i9 9800t) and the Win11 compatibility tool gives me a FAIL!
Best they rethink the requirements before release otherwise Win11 may be dead in the water too!

Oh! and then the feedback from the Win11 tool tells me that I can keep on running Win10 and they will still keep giving me updates - thanks for nothing!

I guess someone will come up with a hack to make it install on a comparatively new system that gets the Win11 thumbs down.

Make sure that TPM 2.0 is turned on and recognized by Windows 10, and that secure boot is enabled. That seems to be the most common point of failure for newer systems.

Matt

My motherboard failed as well but I believe it's due to the lack of a TPM module that has to be purchased separately.

At this point in the game, I'm not worried about it because a lot can happen between now and when the OS is released, and also a lot can happen before Windows 10 is no longer supported in 2025. For one thing upgrading right now is nearly impossible due to the cost of GPUs and other components, and who knows what else will happen in this world between now and then anyway.

My motherboard failed as well but I believe it's due to the lack of a TPM module that has to be purchased separately.

At this point in the game, I'm not worried about it because a lot can happen between now and when the OS is released, and also a lot can happen before Windows 10 is no longer supported in 2025. For one thing upgrading right now is nearly impossible due to the cost of GPUs and other components, and who knows what else will happen in this world between now and then anyway.

I have a build waiting in PC Part Picker just in case. I've been thinking about an upgrade for a while and this might be the kick in the rear to get to work on that, if the i7-7700K is still "unsupported" by release day.

A Ryzen 7 5800X and a cooler, 2 more sticks of the same Corsair RAM I already have (for a total of 32 GB), an ASUS MoBo and a case because the one I have is too narrow for the cooler I already use...

Just barely under US$1000, if I reuse my existing GPU, PSU, and storage. Add another $6-700 if I throw in a new GPU. These prices, man... I think I built my current system for around $5-600, not including GPU (that was $400).

With crypto as a whole steadily going down, and stores like Microcenter, Best Buy, and Newegg cracking down on scalpers, hopefully GPU prices are on their way back to normal.

Matt

I think it means the same as Windows 10, but a little kick in better performance. But, here's the catch...

You need to have TPM 2.0 on the system. Knowing the history of Trainz users, that means most people will remain on what they have for now.

So, really, it mostly means the Trainz users need to upgrade hardware, or replacement of the computer, to get Windows 11.

Being it is not actually ready for regular download with support, it is going to give folks time to do something about their hardware, if they choose to.

Last edited:
Update:
I found the TPM in bios under fTPM and it is now enabled.
Happy to report I will be able to install Win11 when released - Winner!

Well my PC is only a month old and failed the check for Windows 11
But after checking the MOBO specs it has a TPM header
V2 TPM module available at PC Store for $20 Aus
So all not lost

I have a build waiting in PC Part Picker just in case. I've been thinking about an upgrade for a while and this might be the kick in the rear to get to work on that, if the i7-7700K is still "unsupported" by release day.

A Ryzen 7 5800X and a cooler, 2 more sticks of the same Corsair RAM I already have (for a total of 32 GB), an ASUS MoBo and a case because the one I have is too narrow for the cooler I already use...

Just barely under US$1000, if I reuse my existing GPU, PSU, and storage. Add another $6-700 if I throw in a new GPU. These prices, man... I think I built my current system for around $5-600, not including GPU (that was $400).

With crypto as a whole steadily going down, and stores like Microcenter, Best Buy, and Newegg cracking down on scalpers, hopefully GPU prices are on their way back to normal.

Matt

Yup I've been spec'ing out a new machine for sometime as well, Matt. My current build was up there back in 2016 and cost me about $900 to build, but it was the RAM, motherboard, and CPU that cost me the money then because I reused existing parts such as hard disks and my then new GTX780TI video card.

Yes, I read too that BestBuy and the other retailers have finally gotten smart about the scalping of parts, but now it's too late and yes, the crypto-currency is dropping. Bitcoin is down $30,000 roughly from its high a few weeks ago, and China has shut that down completely which will help as well, but sadly not soon enough for people needing an upgrade.

TPM2.0 has been turned on, and all the other arcane gimcracks enabled, yet I still fail. At this point I really don't care. Despite the expense I have incurred over the years, I'll drop Windows like a hot rock once Windows 10 stops updating. Perhaps by then N3V will have given in to the groundswell of requests for a LINUX version. Their argument so far is that there are too many versions out there. What they don't realize is that most of them use the same core processes and dress them up with shells. It's like having a great V8 engine that gets installed in many different makes and models of cars. If they can supply versions even for a phone, why not a great operating system like LINUX?

Bill

Well my PC is only a month old and failed the check for Windows 11
But after checking the MOBO specs it has a TPM header
V2 TPM module available at PC Store for $20 Aus
So all not lost

Most modern CPU's have some form of TPM built in. My 7700K does so your 8700K should. Intel calls it Platform Trust Technology (PTT).

Before you run out and buy anything, turn it on in the BIOS and see if your PC recognizes it. Depending on your motherboard's BIOS, it should fall under the security tab.

From your start menu search or the "Run" dialog, type in "tpm.msc" to open TPM Management. If TPM is turned on and recognized, the window will look something like this...

uIkomoI.jpg

Matt

Last edited:
Mind failed, but I also had Windows 7 checker fail but I still installed it and didn't have any problems so more likely my current PC will run Win 11 without problems as its only 1.5 years old.
zjy5arX.jpg

My guess with this reason is I have a TPM modular as my motherboard doesn't come with that option (nor am I going to upgrade it just to make it happy).
But overall I've been testing it in a virtual machine and it runs so far without issues.

Cheers

Been digging around.

Apart from TPM, the processor has to be Intel Generation 8 minimum AMD Ryzen Series 2 minimum

Lists of supported processors below.

Intel: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

AMD: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors

GPU minimum of DX12, there may be a few Trainzers using older stuff.

I can solve my AMD issue by updating the CPU, motherboard has TPM2 which is working, it's just the CPU which is a version 1 Ryzen that isn't supported. There is a bios update for my motherboard that takes it up to generation 3 Ryzen support so it's not as an expensive job as I originally thought, not that I really need to until 2025.

PC not over 4 years old.

Apparently TPM is integrated with Cortana and Windows Hello which is why you have to have it, don't know about anyone else but I avoid the Windows Hello baggage and have binned Cortana.

Last edited:
I agree, Malc. Windows Hello and Cortana are most annoying. Against my better judgement, I turned them both on and ran the Win11 checker again. Still no dice. probably the CPU. But, as you say, we shouldn't panic until 2025. By then, we'll have flying cars and jet packs on our back.

The TPM Management Console appears, so it's working.

Bill

Aha. Apparently, my AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8-core CPU flunks Microsoft's test (not supported). At least, now I know why the evaluation tool barfed.

Bill

Been digging around.

Apart from TPM, the processor has to be Intel Generation 8 minimum AMD Ryzen Series 2 minimum

Lists of supported processors below.

Intel: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

AMD: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors

GPU minimum of DX12, there may be a few Trainzers using older stuff.

I can solve my AMD issue by updating the CPU, motherboard has TPM2 which is working, it's just the CPU which is a version 1 Ryzen that isn't supported. There is a bios update for my motherboard that takes it up to generation 3 Ryzen support so it's not as an expensive job as I originally thought, not that I really need to until 2025.

PC not over 4 years old.

Apparently TPM is integrated with Cortana and Windows Hello which is why you have to have it, don't know about anyone else but I avoid the Windows Hello baggage and have binned Cortana.
I was actually about to say that (Mine failed also). I have a i7 4790k and GTX 1060, and it doesn't support windows 11! I contacted Microsoft and they said 7th gen and below would not be supported, but that there was a possibility in the future to make a lower-end, compatible version. This is absolutely ridiculous!

I feel like Microsoft will get a backlash soon for this, as this will force the majority of gamers to upgrade to >8th gen (something I cant afford right now :'().

Last edited:
Outstanding, Malc. According to the software from your link, I have all green except "Secure Boot" which is set to "off." I can enable it from my CMOS setup pages. of course, the CPU is still yellow, but I'm happy the rest is (or can be) green.

Bill

I agree, that's BS to force people to upgrade in order to support their new OS. The fact that Microsoft can come up with, what seems to be reluctance, a 'lesser version' to run on older hardware is absurd.

Anyway, thanks Malc. At least now I know what needs to be done. I need the TPM module for my current motherboard. Why didn't the MS tool say that in the first place instead of just saying nope?

..... Why didn't the MS tool say that in the first place instead of just saying nope?

You answered it yourself, John. MS won't tell you so either you don't get Windows 11, or you buy a new one from them. They can't really make money if all you do is plop in a module or add a doohickey to make yourself compliant. As for their "lesser version," I've never liked crippleware in any form.

EDIT: As a side note, my Win10 really didn't want to run the alternate tool. It took two screens of clicking "I don't care, run the darn thing" before I could get results.

Bill

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back