Windows 11 is coming: What does it mean for Trainz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

epa

Angry Trainz Nerd
Today is June 24, 2021. Microsoft is set to officially announce Windows 11 (or whatever they're going to call it) in just a few hours, after more or less confirming the legitimacy of a beta build that was leaked on to the internet last week.

Based on what I've seen (I've not used the leaked build), it almost just appears to be Windows 10 with an overdue new coat of paint, but those who have used the leaked build have reported a less bloated, better optimized OS with slightly better game performance. Under the hood, though, it appears to be a desktop version of the recently-canceled Windows 10X, which was built with tablets and folding devices in mind.

As you may recall, when Windows 10 was launched, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 would be the last full new version of Windows, and it would be built up from there with updates, and periodic large feature updates. Clearly they've scrapped that idea. It's not known yet if Windows 11 will be a free upgrade for existing users of Windows 10, in line with their new model, or if it will be a paid upgrade like we've seen in the past.

I would imagine TRS19 performance on the new version of Windows would be very similar to - if not ever so slightly better than - what we have now on Windows 10.

Does anyone have any insight?

Matt

I've been following the news as well on PC Magazine, Tech Hive, Extreme Tech, and other techy news places. They've all said the same thing and I know as much about it as you do.

Your summary and conclusion is right on par with mine.

Being an MS Insider and tester, I'll have a chance to play with it soon enough. When that time comes, I'll report what I find in the forums.

I have to do some moving and packing today for Aging Family member rest of this week, I had wanted to see the Preview of Win 11, but alas I will not.....Maybe it will be on You Tube to watch.....?

Thanks for heads up here.....

Be interesting to see how this one fares out.........I started in Basic and DOS before Windows was a gleam in Bill Gates Eyes......Long, Long ago.....

My hope is to use MINT and Wine or something similiar to Run Trainz in with less overhead and Bloatware combined.....Just wishing thinking.......:confused:

Someone recently mentioned they could run Trainz pretty will with a Version of Mint........I have to learn Mint ans Ubuntu Products too.......Have never played with them...:eek:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=mint+os+vs+ubuntu

The gaming segment of the keynote here looked really hopeful. They emphasized improved performance on existing hardware and some technologies from the Xbox like Auto HDR to make games look and perform better. Not sure how this will translate to games like Trainz since it wasn't made to take advantage of these features. Maybe the next Trainz...

(anyone else think this thing seems very Apple-ish?)

The stream just wrapped up. No release date was mentioned but some are speculating that it will be made available today.

Matt

Last edited:
Was a live stream which just ended......
Should be a recording somewhere soon I would think?

Anyway bullet points from the Verge https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/24/22546801/microsoft-windows-11-free-upgrade-details

Microsoft officially unveiled Windows 11 today, and the software maker is committing to make it a free upgrade for Windows 10 users. Much like how Windows 10 was free for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users, this new Windows 11 version will be free for existing Windows 10 users.

All you’ll need is a PC that meets the minimum hardware requirements for Windows 11, which is now a 64-bit CPU, 4GB of RAM, and 64GB of storage. Windows 11 will be delivered through Windows Update in much the same way as Windows 10 updates have been made available previously.
Windows 11 will include a new UI, with a Start menu overhaul, performance improvements, and updates to improve multitasking. It even includes access to Android apps through Amazon’s App store.
We weren’t expecting Microsoft to charge people to update to Windows 11, particularly as the company makes most of its Windows revenue through commercial and OEM licenses. Still, it’s good news for consumers with Windows 10 devices that the next version of Windows 11 will be available free of charge.

Rumors now state that Windows 11 won't be available until Holiday 2021. In the meantime, Microsoft has released a PC Health tool that will scan your system and tell you if you can run Windows 11.

That being said, apparently my PC doesn't not meet the minimum requirements, but it does not say where my system falls short. Probably that TPM 2.0, since nothing in my system is very new.

(edit: Turns out TPM was turned off. I do have TPM 2.0 turned on now, but I still get the "This PC Can't Run Windows 11" message. Hmmm...)
(edit 2: Secure Boot was also turned off. Turned it on and... still nothing. Great.)

Well dadgum. Looks like it's upgrade time.

Matt

Last edited:
It's an exercise to force people to stop using 32bit PC's and anything older than 4 Years other than that it's just a facelift on what we already had.
I wouldn't panic, non of my stuff has TPM or rather not a version that Microshaft recognises, doesn't recognise AMDs TPM2, however we have until October 2025 to upgrade or perhaps wait for Microsoft to stop forcing people to use TPM and buy new hardware just to use their OS and given the extortionate cost of GPUs at present and lack of availability, I'm not getting low end machines just to keep the clowns at Microsoft happy. Might as well scrap my Insider account.

Microsoft make thier money on Windows, los by all accounts by selling Windows to the OEMs, thus block older PC's from upgrading = more people buying new PC's = more money for Microshaft.

We need a proper Linux version of Trainz that is not dependant on having the Steam garbage to run it.

According to Paul Thurrott the PC Health tool for checking if you can run Win 11 isn't working properly, there's a surprise. :hehe:

Last edited:
From this evenings tech news the following seems the minimum requirements:

• 64-bit processor
  • 4GB of RAM
  • 64GB drive
  • 1Ghz clock speed
  • UEFI, Secure Boot capable
  • TPM 2.0
  • A display larger than 9-inches with HD Resolution (1366x768)
  • DirectX 12 compatible graphics / WDDM 2.x
  • Internet connection required for Windows 11 Home setup. Windows 11 Pro can be setup off line.
  • Microsoft Account, local account will not be accepted.
I also get the impression that there may be an incentive to attract Windows 7 users to upgrade. Peter

If you read the fine print, you need at least a 5th gen Intel i3, i5 or i7 to meet the minimum CPU required.

I can't imagine there are many Win 7 boxes that meet that requirement.

William

Just ran the PC Health check to see if my 1 yr old system meets Windows 11 requirements. Result = Failed.

N3V...hurry up with a full Linux version of TRS19 so I can get rid of Windows

Just ran the PC Health check to see if my 1 yr old system meets Windows 11 requirements. Result = Failed.

N3V...hurry up with a full Linux version of TRS19 so I can get rid of Windows

Same here. They don't tell us WHY it won't run the new Windows version, just that it won't. Sounds fishy to me. My computer is only 11 months old and runs TRS2019 with everything wide open.

Please, please, please, give us a LINUX version of Trainz! It is the ONLY thing I keep Windows around for.

Bill

According to the Win 11 PC health check, my current Trainz machine, a 2yr old Dell Inspiron Gaming laptop, will not run Windows 11 - again as others have pointed out no reasons are given. I do have a new desktop on order with much better specs. From what I have read of the required Win 11 specs and if I understand them correctly (a big "if" I must admit), then I would expect that it will run Win 11.

What difference it will make to TRS19 and its successors, who knows. Some reports state that Win 11 is faster on the same hardware than Win 10.

EDIT: To add insult to injury, I just ran the test on my partner's new machine (I bought it for her a few months ago). It is a 2-in-1 touch screen desktop not designed for gaming and with an I5 CPU (my laptop has an I7). It passed the test.:'(

EDIT 2: My small travel laptop, a 2 year old Microsoft Surface laptop that I take with me when I travel (not so much of that in this pandemic), also passed the test and will run Win 11.

Last edited:
Well, apparently my PC has failed the test as well. I suspect it's due to an ageing AMD FX-6300 CPU (That is one of the changes to my PC while I was inactive here.), although it doesn't actually say why. And now that new parts are more expensive than they should be...

Anyone getting errors during the compatibility test, check your PC's BIOS and make sure the following criteria is met:

- (IMPORTANT) Your boot drive needs to use the GPT partition table. Check this first, as changing these settings will render your system unbootable if you're using the MBR partition table.

- TPM (Trusted Platform Module) 2.0 is supported by your motherboard and turned on. Most OEM's have it on by default. Most newer MoBos and CPU's have it built in, and it just needs to be turned on. If not, you may be able to buy a TPM module for your motherboard. It may be under different names like PTT or fTPM, depending on your manufacturer.

- Secure Boot is turned on.

- UEFI boot is turned on.

If all these boxes are checked and you're still getting the error...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Microsoft released (very early) lists of supported CPU's from both Intel and AMD...

Windows Processor Requirements Windows 11 Supported Intel Processors | Microsoft Docs

Windows Processor Requirements Windows 11 Supported AMD Processors | Microsoft Docs

I would imagine that these lists are going to be updated as the release gets closer, but as it is now, Intel CPU's older than 8th gen and AMD CPU's older than 2nd gen Ryzen are not supported. This leaves a bunch of relatively recent and still very capable CPU's (including my i7-7700K) in the dust.

This may be the reason behind the failed tests, even with TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot turned on.

I'm not saying it's time to run out and buy a new PC, because the list is likely to be updated before the final release, but it may be something to get ready for, just in case.

Matt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back