AWS Magnets

Prince271088

I apologise if this has been asked before but here goes:

Is there any way to get AWS magnets to only operate in one direction. Driving along a single line it's really annoying triggering them for both directions, especially when they're not even bi-directional magnets. For reference, I am using the ones by Bloodnok. I know the old Railwaves magnets used to let you do something similar with triggers but I'm wondering if it's possible to get the Bloodnok ones to do this? Or if there is some kind of workaround altogether?

Thanks

There are 3 AWS Magnet ramps. Single, directional and dual. All by bloodnok. Suggest you look on the DLS to find them.

Tony Howard

There are 3 AWS Magnet ramps. Single, directional and dual. All by bloodnok. Suggest you look on the DLS to find them.

Tony Howard

Tony,

Whilst I appreciate you taking time to actually bother responding to the thread (which is more than it usually gets) it literally says in my original post I am currently using the ramps by Bloodnok. Unfortunately (and hence my reason for the post), even if you use the single direction magnets, they operate in both directions. Normally this wouldn't be an issue on a route with multiple lines as you'd have an up and a down, but on a single line track it's a big problem because I've got magnets going off for signals I'm not facing. I don't know if you ever got to use the magnets from the Railwaves pack years ago, but you basically nominated the signal the magnet was protecting and told the magnet the direction it was facing and bam! no problem. The magnet did what it's meant to. Unfortunately because of the limitations of the time, the package doesn't have sound and relies on a light system which I didn't want as I like the AWS system that Bloodnok's magnets use other than the fact they are all bidirectional. Instead, what I was hoping to do (and not just for AWS magnets, but this in turn could potentially be used on all triggers) is find out if there was a way to make a trigger (or in this case the magnet) operate in a single direction only.

Prince
I have no problem getting bloodnok's ramps to work as they were intended. With the directional one you have to make sure that it is facing in the right direction. It is a little difficult to see which way round it should be. I know I am stating the obvious but it is worth checking.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Well no idea what I'm doing then because it doesn't matter which way they are facing, but if I use AWS Ramp <kuid2:60850:23050:7> the magnet goes off no matter which direction I travel over it. Perhaps you could screenshot a section of track where you have a magnet so I can compare and contrast with my own, as it would be nice to get to the bottom of this, or alternatively just a blank route with a singular track showing the correct setup of a magnet to operate in one direction only.

Thanks

Do you use any AWS system? Or just not run single lines?

Mainly the AWS system.
I found when reversing out of a terminus station [platform shunt], or reversing from a station to a line bound for a carriage siding running over a ramp positioned for incoming traffic, set it off. They work fine on double track placed according to line direction. Bi-directional ramps were not an option to use in either of those situations.

Mainly the AWS system.
I found when reversing out of a terminus station [platform shunt], or reversing from a station to a line bound for a carriage siding running over a ramp positioned for incoming traffic, set it off. They work fine on double track placed according to line direction. Bi-directional ramps were not an option to use in either of those situations.

Yeah I get that. On places where I can run multiple lines the AWS is not an issue because I generally have enough space to run enough crossovers etc. to get to the correct facing lines before my next signal block but on a single line it just doesn't happen. As you say, the bidirectional or dual signal magnets aren't really applicable in these situations so it just becomes a problem. Worst case I'll just have to either accept the fact that I'm gonna be shutting off the AWS more than I like or I am going to have to sacrifice some authenticity somewhere, unless someone creates a miracle. It's a shame it can't be set up like the old Railwaves magnets, because you used to be able to nominate a signal per magnet with those.

Back