Upgrade to Platinum?

autodctr

I see that there is a big sale on the Platinum version right now. My question is this: is it worth it for me to upgrade? The reason I ask this question is because I do not use any of the prebuilt routes: I make my own. I do not use any AI either. What would I gain by moving up to Platinum?

I see that there is a big sale on the Platinum version right now. My question is this: is it worth it for me to upgrade? The reason I ask this question is because I do not use any of the prebuilt routes: I make my own. I do not use any AI either. What would I gain by moving up to Platinum?

That's a good question. I had platinum and didn't see any real advantage to it. I had to re-install TRS19 due to some disk issues and ended up with the regular build. Didn't see any difference with my maps (same as you, I make my own) so I'm not sure what the "advantage" is.

So far, the only part that is interesting is the Surveyor-Driver interface. Does that mean that I can jump right from driving into surveyor at the same place in the route? THAT I would find useful when building routes because I always seem to miss a tree that is in the middle of the tracks.

Also, does this mean that I would have to export / import all of my current stuff into the new program?

Some people prefer the "simpler" original interface and wish they could go back. If you do get the new update I suggest you keep a copy of your current installed app. I also suggest you read a lot about some of the issues with UDS (Unified Driver Surveyor) that SOME people have. Some people like it, some people seem to have continuous problems understand how to operate it successfully. ie: Saving changed session vs saving a "game" (Driver). When and how to save. etc etc. So make sure you do your homework first. I suggest reading a lot of TRS-19 forum threads to get a flavor of things.

Last edited:
I took out the 'free' month's subscription to Trainz plus a week ago to test it out. That is sound advice by1611mac about doing your homework first. I didn't - and came a cropper by exiting driver, making a change in surveyor, saving and then returning to driver. I had inadvertently overwritten my session so had to recreate it for next time. Personally, I didn't get on with it and for the few seconds it saves, I preferred the standard (old) method which takes momentarily a little longer. Each to their own I suppose! Though I fear the new menu system will be forced on us at some point in the future. I have cancelled my subscription but unfortunately it seems that I am stuck with the Trainz Plus menu until the month's end!

I took out the 'free' month's subscription to Trainz plus a week ago to test it out. That is sound advice by1611mac about doing your homework first. I didn't - and came a cropper by exiting driver, making a change in surveyor, saving and then returning to driver. I had inadvertently overwritten my session so had to recreate it for next time. Personally, I didn't get on with it and for the few seconds it saves, I preferred the standard (old) method which takes momentarily a little longer. Each to their own I suppose! Though I fear the new menu system will be forced on us at some point in the future. I have cancelled my subscription but unfortunately it seems that I am stuck with the Trainz Plus menu until the month's end!

I understand you frustration there, but I found I get along with it well if I use a combination of both methods now because I too got burned. I learned the hard way like you and then took a different approach, and went as far as to make a working backup of my session in case I oops something. The advantage to this is there though for route development and session development. Having the UDS allows me to test ATLS crossings and other settings on the fly and quickly go back and make changes then continue testing. This is much, much easier than the old way of doing things, but like a lot of things in Trainz there's little in the way of knowing which mode we're in when we're doing things so we always have to have our wits about us when editing and using layers.

To add to my post above.. I certainly was not trying to disourage you from obtaining and using what some call "Platinum" (UDS). Just suggesting you be wise in your decision. I am on Plus and much of the fun for me is checking out the new changes asap. But my beta install is a seprate one (I have three installs).

UDS does have benefits as John says above. It really is not that different but you must certainly nail down "when to save," "what to save," and "how to save."

It's now a part of Trainz and we might as well embrace it. As info, N3V is now working on "Surveyor 2" so expect changes to Surveyor in the future also.

Also, does this mean that I would have to export / import all of my current stuff into the new program?

curious about this part as well, also wondering if that "content store downloader" feature is something similar to a First Class Ticket? If that was the case I would jump on this deal in a heartbeat

Does that mean that I can jump right from driving into surveyor at the same place in the route? THAT I would find useful when building routes because I always seem to miss a tree that is in the middle of the tracks.

I will admit that I was very skeptical about this when it was first announced as a future feature in TRS19. I could not see how it would work with all the various session rules, driver commands, etc running. But now I have it I am a total convert - I quickly dumped my copy of TRS19 for TRS19 Platinum. There are issues regarding session rules that may have already started when you jump from Driver into Surveyor but these can be managed and the rules restarted before you jump back into Driver.

Some users have suffered from confusion over saving their work and discovering that they have changed the original session but this is simply a matter of having a set work flow. When using the UDS to switch between Driver and Surveyor to make changes to the route, I only save the Route NOT the session. I only save the Session when I want to move a consist to a new starting point to continue testing from there.

I simply pointed the TRS19 Platinium install user data folder to the old TRS19 user data folder. Any additional DLC stuff that came with Platinum that I wanted I simply installed from the content store.

curious about this part as well, also wondering if that "content store downloader" feature is something similar to a First Class Ticket? If that was the case I would jump on this deal in a heartbeat

TRS19 remains as TRS19 with new features enabled. It's the same program and the only difference is what your license enables or disables.

The content store is for handling your DLC purchases. Once you purchase these, or receive them as part of your upgrade to Platinum, you download your DLC through there instead of the old way as in TS12, TANE, and regular TRS19. The Content Store also makes uninstalling and upgrading DLC a lot easier than hunting for package-folders and then running a DBR afterwards.

I'll mention just in case you don't know, "DLC" is payware (in game Content Store). "DLS" is "Download Station" (freeware) and "CM" is Content Manager. Download Station is found on the website (your MyTrainz account) while Content Manager is found in Game. It's my understanding DLS is for older versions. I don't use DLS as all I've ever really ran is TRS-19 (and CM). I was here for a year before I figured out DLC was Payware and DLS is Freeware. Sometimes I wish we'd use "Payware" and "Freeware" as I wonder how many new users actually know what "DLC" and "DLS" means. Especially those who have TRS19 only and don't really use the DLS. :)

Last edited:
I believe that Platinum is needed for the TCCP if you plan to be a beta tester or submit any payware.

It gives you more options in the CM

TRS19 remains as TRS19 with new features enabled. It's the same program and the only difference is what your license enables or disables.

Is this still the case if I've got TRS19 Standard via Steam? I'd imagine I could try pware's method, not sure if it would work though?

Well, Platinum includes a lot of extra DLC that just clutters up the drive.

But didn't you have to download the DLC? Why not delete the content or re-download fresh copy of Platinum and don't install the DLC if that's your preference? Rather than do that you prefer to pay a monthly subscription fee for plus? And why get the version with DLC if you don't have the disk space? (If putting a few DLC packs on your disk clutters it up you likely need a bigger disk anyway. It's wise to always have about 20 - 25% of your disk free.)

But didn't you have to download the DLC? Why not delete the content or re-download fresh copy of Platinum and don't install the DLC if that's your preference? Rather than do that you prefer to pay a monthly subscription fee for plus? And why get the version with DLC if you don't have the disk space? (If putting a few DLC packs on your disk clutters it up you likely need a bigger disk anyway. It's wise to always have about 20 - 25% of your disk free.)

I'm pretty sure the DLC is built-in for Platinum...

Back