TANE vs TRS19

Maymone

Hi there,

I own a Mac and am a bit lost among the numerous Trainz games.
I'm mostly interested in the digital version of the traditional model railroad hobby, not so much in driving a train. I'm more like creating the layouts, assembling trains and make them run.
I've checked the game features and Trainz Model Railroad would seem more appropriate, but there is no Mac version.
So I believe I'm left with Trainz: A New Era or Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019. Is the latter more like what I'm looking for?

Looking forward to your tips and suggestions!

TM

Trainz model railroad is essentially the same as TANE but with different routes included. TS19 is the newest and most up to date version available. All the routes from TANE and Traniz Model Railroads are available to buy separately and can be used in TS19.

TS19 is a bit confusing as there are several available versions. I'd recommend the Platinum verison if you want a stand-alone product (especially as there's a sale at the moment). Your other option is one of the subscriptions that includes access to the game alongside other features.

Maymone - Welcome to these forums! You made a great choice with TRS19-Platinum. It will serve you well for the model railroad creation experience and railway operations you desire. :)

Welcome to TRS-19. There really is not a "Model Trains" version currently. TRS-19 is basically the same version. What is different is whether you choose to go with subscriptions like Plus, Gold, or Silver. Plus gets you into beta versions if you enjoy beta testing and Gold and Silver gets you more Content (routes and such.)

With TRS-19 you can make Model Railroad layouts or prototypical routes or anything in between. Know that most content is made by the users. Be sure to checkout "Content Manager" and learn it well. It will be your friend. There are many free routes you can obtain from CM (Content Manger). Just to get you started Launch TRS-19, click "Content Manager," at the top next to "Filter" click the triangle and change "Installed" to "False." Click the "plus" sign at top right of screen. Where it says "Asset KUID" change to "Category" and set to "Route." Free Routes available to download will be shown. "Build Version" column (turn on columns on if they are not already - right click the header) shows you the build the route was created in. (How new the route is.) You can sort by the Upload Date.

edit: Right click on any item to Download

Just for fun in the "Search" box enter "Model Railroad" and then click the "Upload Date" header until the latest one shows. You are now looking at free model railroad routes you can download. Note that the "Name" of items is made by the creator, so searches will only show things as they named them. (ie: There will be other model layouts without "model' in the name. Just depends how the crator named it.)

Well, that little excercise was just to get you started with some model layouts as you mentioned that in your post. A good way to learn how to create layouts is to download routes others have made and then check them out in Surveyor. "Reverse Engineer" them so to speak.

Welcome..

Last edited:
Hi,
You can create model railway layouts with either version. I would recommend you check out the work of user Philskene to see some of the highest quality. He has both free layouts and ones that are for sale. You should have several of his routes installed in your TRS19 Platinum. Here to me is the difference between TANE and TRS19. There is a lot more downloadable assets that look good in TANE now than in TRS19 at the moment but that is only due to changes made to the graphics engine in TRS19 that allows more realism. Ground textures are the most obvious example, older ones look fine in TANE but have an unnatural shininess in TRS19. Trees are also in short supply for TRS19 with a limited selection. With time this will change but at the moment that is the way it is.

William

Last edited:
Back