Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost All M:ULTRA trees - Several Routes

United States of America, New York, Allegany
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boleyd View Post
    That is a large project. I am not sure that riding, driving or viewing from a train will allow an appreciation of the project. Also, as you create varieties and place them you might find that a view on a PC screen just does not look as good as a detailed photo. In other words, it is the mosaic of trees that is important. Also, be careful of the love of drone type views. I know I find myself watching an AI session from above. As I mentioned the bark is important, at least to me. Now you eventually come to Autumn. A new set of trees. Winter eventually makes that bark important and realistic branch design critical. The RED OAK being the widespread specie is everywhere but to get technical its actual presentation may be dependent on the local soil. Do you want to get that finite? And, do not paint branch stubs white to "seal" them. May be accurate but Trainz has no aging algorithm so that new white paint looks terrible. Variegation will test your skills. Variegation could be a trap. What looks good on a single leaf may fail on a full tree.

50 years ago I spent 2 years in Oneida going to computer school. A trip through the forest up to Lake Placid was very pleasant and the forest itself was memorable.
    I agree....it's a large project and there has to be a balance. With the tools we have to work with, we're limited. About the trees, the bark is very important, especially from the cab view. What I did was go to each species and get a bunch of different bark pics off of the internet images search....and then replaced what was in the original file ....if necessary. In almost all cases, I darkened the bark from the original file, if I decided to use the original......especially, for example, the birch trees so they don't glow in the dark.
    With the ULTRA trees, you can't do that. Permission needed even for personal use.....( seems just a bit extreme to me....but I honor it).
    I'm not too crazy about the summer colors of them anyway, but some can work and I was happy with them before I started to get real picky about it. The maple trees look wrong to my eyes, regarding the color shades, so I replaced them.
    Right now, my hands are full just focusing on the summer season for all of it. If I live long enough, God willing, I'll get to the other seasons : )

I definitely won't do white branches for the summer..........they stick out too much and don't look right. If anything, I darken what's already there.

So you went to computer school in Oneida County ? I'm guessing that would be Utica. ........and then you took the trip to Lake Placid ! Going through Remsen, up to Forestville, Thendara, etc.....is a great trip.
    What incredible country it is up there. If I can create a scene that would give someone who's been up there a "deja-vu" kind of feeling , I'd be thrilled. I can't get it exact, no way............but at least I can try, ......hopefully .......to give someone a little bit of the experience of what it's like around the tracks in that region. That's probably the over all goal.
    Last edited by JimDep; June 22nd, 2021 at 06:52 PM.
    T:ANE Standard SP2 to SP3
    TRS 2012 build 61388

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Murrysville

Perhaps you can find the poem called Trees - "I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree, etc.
    I believe it was Longfellow writing..

It is a simple guide post for you and your creations.
    Last edited by boleyd; June 24th, 2021 at 04:58 PM.
    Dick near Pittsburgh, Pa. i5-2500K 4.2ghz, 8gb memory, GTX1060 3gb video card. 111951

Blog Entries

I'll look for it...thanks. I have a very special love for the wooded areas in the northeast...probably because that's where i lived as a kid, with lots of good memories of playing in the woods with my friends.

Anyway.........so what's your plan for how to deal with the ULTRA trees issue ?
    Last edited by JimDep; June 24th, 2021 at 05:21 PM.
    TRS 2012 build 61388

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Murrysville

This is one of several times that they have been declared obsolete, or a similar status. Some may remain that did not receive that status so they are remaining. There may be a possibility that N3V will allow them to remain without major changes to availability. But regardless of that I have a finite amount of time to spend on repair/replacement. Those that remain may be exposed by some other future vendor action but I do not have an absolute need to use them for mow.

Think about the exposed gnarled root masses at the base of some species. That may add to the targeted environment.
    Dick near Pittsburgh, Pa. i5-2500K 4.2ghz, 8gb memory, GTX1060 3gb video card. 111951

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boleyd View Post
    Think about the exposed gnarled root masses at the base of some species. That may add to the targeted environment.
    I do think about the gnarled root masses, especially around cuts and raised river banks. If anyone has ideas on how to simulate that, I'd be interested to know. Dead trees sticking out of the ground is about as close as I can get.
    TRS 2012 build 61388