two installs two computers

justinroth

So I have 2019 and TANE on my bedroom computer (building and content creation) and on my music studio machine (much faster, used for playing). I'm in the process of transferring from TANE to 2019 on my bedroom computer. My question is once finished, could I transfer the local data folder of my bedroom computer install to my studio computer install or do I need to go through the whole process of TANE to 2019 cdp ect. transfer on the machine also?

Everything that you can transfer between computers via .cdp files (and some things like built-in and base assets cannot be transferred via cdps) are stored in the userdata folder. The simplest solution is usually to copy the userdata folder between the computers but as this can involve Gigabytes of data it is not always practical unless you have a portable external SDD or HDD drive.

The Launcher -> Trainz Settings -> Install Tab has the instructions for moving the userdata folder to a different drive on the same computer but the principle is the same for transferring between computers with some additional steps.

Yes just move it, re-point Trainz to the new userdata and run a database repair, advisable if you have changed the userdata. If the PCs are networked you could actually use a file sync program which is what I do to keep the copy on my backup PC up to date. Failing that, knowing that networking is not in everyone's skill set and Microsoft's networking is put bluntly abysmal in Win10 and if you don't know your way around how to get it to actually work best left alone! You would probably need a largish portable USB drive to manually transfer it.

Also bare in mind that if you pack items from Tane into CDP and import into TRS19, they may become faulty. The only solution to that is download from the DLS into TRS19, but hopefully move/copying the data folder will avoid that problem.

I have them networked together despite Windows 10's efforts to make the process exhausting. So it's just a matter of pasting the contents into the 2nd comp and performing a database repair? Awesome!

I have them networked together despite Windows 10's efforts to make the process exhausting. So it's just a matter of pasting the contents into the 2nd comp and performing a database repair? Awesome!

Yup that simple. You shouldn't have to run a DBR, though. I do this all the time between TRS19 versions on the same desktop computer and between TRS19 versions on my laptop when I grab the updated database on my desktop.

- Copy the complete data folder over from one computer to the other. This can take sometime so be patient. I have close to a bit over 2 TB so that can take at least 6 hours by network.
- Once copied over, install or reconfigure TRS19 on to the second computer. Keep in mind that if your data is a newer version, then you'll have to update, otherwise, your data will be corrupted.
- During the install, let TRS19 build a default data folder in the App Data folder area. You can always delete this later.

Follow the onscreen prompts and let it do its thing.

Once complete, go into the Settings again at the Launcher.

- Click on the install tab.
- Click on the ... on the right.
- Browse to your copied over data folder.
- Click on it, and
- Click Open.

A translation thing will run and the program will want to restart. Do so as prompted.

- Go back to your settings again in the Launcher and if all went well, your username and password will already be filled in and all your existing data will be there including any DLC you installed.

Back