JMRI and trainz

Discustrains

I've been using JMRI (Java model railroad interface) operations pro with several trainz routes. Originally started this at model railroad club. Had some interesting switching moves. Has anyone else tried this. It makes manifests/switch lists and is freeware.

I've been using JMRI (Java model railroad interface) operations pro with several trainz routes.

Very unlikely. According to the JMRI website, their system is for physical (not virtual) model railway layouts. It interfaces between a computer and the electronic control systems used in model railways. JMRI is an interface between the computer and the model railroad hardware. It does not use the TNI (Trainz Native Interface) that allows Trainz to interface with computer control devices such as joysticks, XBox, controllors, etc. The TNI is an interface between the user and the computer.

The OP, who is not a registered Trainz user, is most likely posting a future SPAM placeholder.

Post reported.

Possibly, but my skepticism would have been greatly reduced if you had registered your copy of Trainz (and it does not cost anything except a little time to register) so that we would all know you are a genuine owner and user. One of the hallmarks of spam is a technical post from a non-registered user.

And has failed to register a Trainz version in 3 years. I'd be skeptical too but happy to be proved wrong.

2 things I noticed right away: the OP has 5 other posts that aren't spam afaic see and JMRI is a valid topic for Trainz regardless of what was gleamed from the JMRI website.

Using one computer program to interface with another to add functionality is hardly outside the realm of possibilities and TNI is not just limited to allowing:
"Trainz to interface with computer control devices such as joysticks, XBox, controllors, etc. The TNI is an interface between the user and the computer."
Sorry TNI is more than that. To quote from the Trainz Wiki:
Some sample ideas which might be viable candidates for TNI plugins:

Connecting the controls in a real Train cab to a computer running Trainz.
Controlling a model train layout from within Trainz Driver.
Importing from third-party data sources into Surveyor.
Implementing a custom train physics and/or train sound system for a specific series of locomotives.
Interfacing with third-party train scheduling software.
(Highlites are mine.) Some of those ideas put forth by N3V seem to fit right in with current JMRI software development.

JMRI has a program that generates switch lists - think starting points for setting out consists at the start and for portals and for car movements during sessions. There are a few Trainz users using JMRI for that right now. CMTM system for Trainz comes to mind here that would benefit or eventually be replaced by the functionality in JMRI. JMRI or some program like it generates the consist lists and car movements sheets and the train schedules for the start of any session and when you start the session it's set up to match those lists without any one having to input driver schedules, trains and consists and placing them on the maps. During the session all train and car movements are tracked. The interface could allow software to generate industry lists, yards and on/off route stagging/portals - make the whole map layout digitally available for input to the scheduling programs. Also allowing complete track maps and or diagrams to be generated by software like JMRI.

So I'm open minded here and hoping we can get an informative and thoughtful discussion of what people are doing and hope to do with JMRI and TRAINZ.

Bob Pearson

I use JMRI operations exclusively with Trainz 2019, with excellent results. I run it on a model route called, North Texas Belt Line. I have over 30 trains that I have run through about 12 times. JMRI creates excellent car movements and with schedules even better car movement. It takes a while to get used to saving each session so that you can continually run through your trains in one continuous session. Once you start there is no going back.

Back