Buying Trainz as a gift

Lataxe

There's currently a sale on, so this seems a good time to buy both TANE & TRS19 for the grandson. However, he currently lacks the computer to run Trainz and will only get such a PC this coming August. How can I buy him Trainz products at the current sale prices even if he won't be able to download and use them himself until August? A gift card is offered by N3V but it isn't clear whether this could be used retrospectively to buy the Trainz products at the current sale prices.

Thanks in anticipation of any advice you can give.

Lataxe

Last edited:
I have purchased Trainz in the past then got Help desk to move them to another email address before registering.

Cheerio John

If both are digital downloads, and you get sent a validation code by email, nothing says you have to install it until your grandson gets his computer. I'd put it on a CD/DVD, however, so it will be handy for install at that time. I'd check with N3V, as John says, to see if you can transfer your email to his once the computer arrives, and BEFORE you install the game(s).

Bill

An alternative would be to create a valid email address for your grandson on your computer. Once the T:ANE & TRS19 purchase is made, then download it to your computer, where you can create a CD or memory card with them properly installed. When your grandson obtains his PC, it's a simple matter to reinstall them and hand over the email address as well.
When there is a grandchild involved, you do everything to make it happen.
Cheers, Roy

An alternative would be to create a valid email address for your grandson on your computer. Once the T:ANE & TRS19 purchase is made, then download it to your computer, where you can create a CD or memory card with them properly installed. When your grandson obtains his PC, it's a simple matter to reinstall them and hand over the email address as well.
When there is a grandchild involved, you do everything to make it happen.
Cheers, Roy

I've done something similar as well. The PC with trainz installed is sitting in the basement.

Cheerio John

Thanks all for the advice.

The computer the lad will have Trainz on is actually my old PC, which remains a reasonably powerful beast despite being nearly 10 years of age. It's already set up for him (my stuff removed and some stuff for him put on) so I'll do that with a newly-bought copy of Trainz as well. He can't actually collect this PC (and its old screen) until August, when (Covid allowing) he and my grandaughter will visit for a week.

The issue seems to be the email address and registration. If I buy downloads, I can register them with a name for my grandson (i.e. not my name) but that account would need to have the associated email address changed. Registering a new email address in my grandson's name then me using it to download ..... I suppose that's a legit thing to do .... although my computer security alarm is giving a bit of a tingle ........ BUt it seems the best option.

Thanks once more for the advice.

Lataxe

Another thought:

As I already have Trainz (TANE & TRS19) could I buy them again for my grandson but not download them, instead using the copies I already have to set up his PC but attaching those copies to a different ID (grandson's ID-name and my grandson's current email address that I'll use when buying the new copies of TANE & TRS19) via the Trainz settings dialogue?

Last edited:
As I already have Trainz (TANE & TRS19) could I buy them again for my grandson but not download them, instead using the copies I already have to set up his PC but attaching those copies to a different ID (grandson's ID-name and my grandson's current email address that I'll use when buying the new copies of TANE & TRS19) via the Trainz settings dialogue?

I don't see why that wouldn't work. The install its self is just a download from your account. As long as the version your are purchasing is the same you have, that should work fine for him, and will work for him if he has an account on My Trainz. This is no different than having someone mail you a copy of the install on DVD or a thumb drive.

The process could go something like this.

1) Create an email account for him.

2) Create a My Trainz account for him.

3) Install your copy and when it comes time to put in the username, etc., put in his username from My Trainz.

Check his email account then for any confirmation emails, etc.

Back