Oahu Railway in HO Scale: A Mini Hawaiian Project

SantaFe.fan3751

Hawaiian Trainz Guy
Aloha Trainz Forums. I am aware of a previous Oahu Railway thread which detailed the slow but sure progress of another gentleman's fine full Oahu Railway route, and I must give him props for some of my inspiration in this project. Being from Kauai, Hawaiian rail history has always been an intriguing topic (My great grandfather was an engineer on the Makee Plantation, at Kealia, Kauai.) The Oahu Railway has been no exception. I have little to no modelling skill on Trainz, which is the reason I haven't attempted to make some Kauai equipment, however, beautiful Oahu Railway equipment exists in game, which is why I've begun an attempt of an Oahu route for Trainz, which I will publicly release when complete for the rest of the fanatical Hawaiian or narrow gauge railroaders on Trainz. MY Route encompasses the Pearl City to Iwilei section, with some creative liberties taken on the route. Being an HO scale model railroad, I can focus my attention to smaller details and make the route a bit more special in my opinion. Posted below are some current progress shots on the route of the biggest location so far, Waipahu Junction. Waipahu Junction is where the North bound Wahiawa branch met with the OR&L mainline. One of the more interesting locations, Waipahu junction boasted wig wag crossings, semaphore signals, and 3 large water tanks for trains on the main and coming off the branch. I look forward to sharing more progress as I go, and definitely will keep this thread updated as things move along. Mahalo for reading and joining me on this fun project!
560455CE4D316749297823463A4B39DCE5B199A5
A4A0F117A13313D78E8981B0DD00743B5D5124E9

Best of luck with your project, it looks like you are off to a great start! I always thought it would be fun to re-create the cane train running north out of Hilo on the Big Island, what with all the tunnels and bridges, but I would want to do it on a DEM, and so far I haven't come across one, and I don't have the software to make one.

Yes, Waipahu junction and the line rounding the Pearl harbor basin was relatively flat. The grade picked up climbing the Wahiawa branch off the wye at Waipahu Junction. After the overpass at the Farrington Highway is when the tracks started their climb North towards Schofield Barracks and Wahiawa.
image0.jpg

Here is the tracks approach the station heading West.
image1.jpg

And here are the tracks as they continue West. The right hand tracks lead off to the Wahiawa branch, which was the steepest line on the Oahu Railway. The mainline towards the Ewa plain and Kaena point is on the left hand tracks.

Back