I think my route's been corrupted

Little_Boy921

Route Building Rocks
The route in question is cloned version of the existing ECML Kings Cross to Edinburgh route but with the selby diversion and some changes along the route to set it in the modern day. Anyways, while I was working on place some signals, the baseboards suddenly vanished. You could still view them in map mode but they were just an empty void if you view them in surveyor. Thought it was a minor glitched, quit the game for a while, came back today and not only is the route thumbnail gone when viewed in the menu, but the entire route seems to have been corrupted. When viewed in map mode, all the baseboards are completely with the exception of some that still have some scenery. However when viewed in surveyor mode, it's just a complete empty void. I'll include some screenshots I took to better explain what's happening.
Corrupted-ECML-3.jpg

view_media_post

Corrupted-ECML-1.jpg

Corrupted-ECML-2.jpg

I don't understand how this could've happened. If this happened because of a game crash then I could understand but for it to happen right in the middle of session out of nowhere is strange as heck. I even checked for any errors or warnings along with a database repair and none of it has worked. I really, really this can be fixed because I spent most of last week building the selby connection and upgrading speed posts between London and Newcastle along with adding four tracks at Sandy and I don't want that work to go away because of a game glitch. Is there anyone that can help me?
view_media_post

view_media_post

view_media_post

Last edited:
Not an unknown problem. Guessing you didn't dave your work to a cdp like you should encase something like this happens because problems always occur. You may be able to retrieve it by using the backups the game creates in the backup folder.

Last edited:
All is not lost just yet...

There are backups made every time you open something up for edit, delete, or modify an asset, and asset also means routes and sessions.

- Before we take drastic steps, hover over the route at the route menu and get the KUID number and either write it down, or remember it because you will need this for later.
- Once you've got that KUID number, go into Content Manager and search for this route.
- Export this route to a CDP just because even though it's corrupted.
- Once exported, delete the route. Yes delete it.
- Open Windows File Explorer. (Windows Explorer).
- Go to your Backups folder where you have your Trainz data located.
- Look for the current date-name folder, or better yet, go back a day.

In that backup folder, look for the route name with a .tzarc extension, or it could be the KUID instead or have the KUID in the name (without the : in between the parts).

- Copy the .tzarc to the Trainz edit folder.
- Close Content Manager,
- Close the folder.
- At the Launcher, run a Database Repair (DBR).

This will restore the backup.

When the DBR is completed, check your route again in Surveyor.

Last edited:
All is not lost just yet...

There are backups made every time you open something up for edit, delete, or modify an asset, and asset also means routes and sessions.

- Before we take drastic steps, hover over the route at the route menu and get the KUID number and either write it down, or remember it because you will need this for later.
- Once you've got that KUID number, go into Content Manager and search for this route.
- Export this route to a CDP just because even though it's corrupted.
- Once exported, delete the route. Yes delete it.
- Open Windows File Explorer. (Windows Explorer).
- Go to your Backups folder where you have your Trainz data located.
- Look for the current date-name folder, or better yet, go back a day.

In that backup folder, look for the route name with a .tzarc extension, or it could be the KUID instead or have the KUID in the name (without the : in between the parts).

- Copy the .tzarc to the Trainz edit folder.
- Close Content Manager,
- Close the folder.
- At the Launcher, run a Database Repair (DBR).

This will restore the backup.

When the DBR is completed, check your route again in Surveyor.

Apologizes for the late reply. Anyways, I followed the your instructions with no issue but I am a little confused on somethings. In trainz edit folder, was I supposed to put the .tzarc file in a specific folder matching the kuid number? And was I supposed to redownload the corrupted route for it work?

This is a cloned version and yes I still do have the original. So technically this situation is not as bad since this isn't a route I built from the ground up but despite that, I really don't want to loose the progress I made over the stuff I added last week

Apologizes for the late reply. Anyways, I followed the your instructions with no issue but I am a little confused on somethings. In trainz edit folder, was I supposed to put the .tzarc file in a specific folder matching the kuid number? And was I supposed to redownload the corrupted route for it work?

You place the .tzarc file that has the kuid as part of the name like this kuid 44878 113746.tzarc in the edit folder.

You then run a database repair.

What this will do is restore the route back.

I know exactly how you feel! I had to do this recently with a route I've been working on since early 2009. I had somehow messed up the route to a point where I had to go back, but the version I had backed up, shame on me, was too old to use. The more recent .tzarc worked fine from from the day before.

So I pasted the tzarc file into the Editing folder and ran a database repair but when I launched the game, the route wasn't there. And when I checked the editing folder, the tzarc file wasn't there either. I did this another two times and got similar results. I think I might be doing this wrong. Was I supposed to redownload the cdp file of the corrupted route?

So I pasted the tzarc file into the Editing folder and ran a database repair but when I launched the game, the route wasn't there. And when I checked the editing folder, the tzarc file wasn't there either. I did this another two times and got similar results. I think I might be doing this wrong. Was I supposed to redownload the cdp file of the corrupted route?

Something doesn't sound right. No, you're not supposed to put the old route back in. You did delete that one first didn't you?

Make sure nothing is open for edit in Content Manager. If your route is open for edit, submit it.

Something doesn't sound right. No, you're not supposed to put the old route back in. You did delete that one first didn't you?

Make sure nothing is open for edit in Content Manager. If your route is open for edit, submit it.

Yes, I did deleted the corrupter route before I did everything else. And when you mention "make sure nothing is open for edit in Content Manager", are you talking about the route itself or in general?

Also, although I deleted the route, the saved sessions weren't deleted. Would it work if I deleted those?

Yes, I did deleted the corrupter route before I did everything else. And when you mention "make sure nothing is open for edit in Content Manager", are you talking about the route itself or in general?

Also, although I deleted the route, the saved sessions weren't deleted. Would it work if I deleted those?

No need to worry about the sessions.

Make sure nothing is open for edit. The folder has to be clear completely.

No need to worry about the sessions.

Make sure nothing is open for edit. The folder has to be clear completely.

Apologies for my silence on all of this. I just got around emptying my open for editing folder. After I did that, I did the whole process again, this time with nothing open for editing, and again the route does not show up when I open the game. It does show up in content manager but it's status is "open for edit, Payware (not active)". I should also mention that when I went into the backups folder, the backup for the route before this whole thing went down is no longer there. And I had gotten the tarzac from the first file I saw.

I'm not really sure if this means anything, good or bad.

Back