What is a "Gimmiepig?"

DARTrider

Goofy Fictional RR Owner
Hello everyone.

I'm going to get straight to the point: What is a gimmiepig, and am I one?

I know a little bit of what one is, someone who asks for something excessively for their own personal gain, but I don't think that's the RIGHT definition. Could someone tell me what a gimmiepig is, what they might say and why they exist? I really don't want to be thought of as one, so I'd like to know what to avoid saying.

Thanks in advance! :D

LOL... According to the Urban Dictionary;

A person who cannot pass up a promotional trinket, cap, t-shirt, etc. regardless of interest or need. An avid collector of cheap, cheesy gimme crap.

So not for personal gain..

Here on the forum a 'gimmiepig' is considered to be a person who pesters, - if not demands, - content creators make something for them seemingly without being remotely aware how much work is involved in creating assets. And as you might predict the words 'please' or 'thank you' never passes their lips.

I wouldn't worry about it DARTrider. Everyone here has been one at some point in their life, whether in thought or action, either to a stranger or to their own parents. Just try not to ask content creators too much about their WIP stuff or screenshots. When they are ready, they will share the stuff freely and usually make a thread about it.

There's nothing wrong with asking if its available somewhere, but if you don't get an answer right off the bat, let it be.

Seeing a lot of this on the Trainz Discord channels at present. N3V announced an "invite only" beta test of the mobile version TS3. Suddenly we have an influx of new members either constantly asking for the game or, after asking to be part of the Beta team, demanding to know why they haven't had access within a few minutes.

It's deemed to be impolite to ask for an asset to be made although Ben Dorsey made 100's of requested bridges. Sometimes I think we need a special forum where folk can ask for particular asset with no guarantees that a creator will pick it up.

Seeing a lot of this on the Trainz Discord channels at present. N3V announced an "invite only" beta test of the mobile version TS3. Suddenly we have an influx of new members either constantly asking for the game or, after asking to be part of the Beta team, demanding to know why they haven't had access within a few minutes. ...

TS3 Beta Release https://www.notion.so/TS3-Beta-Testing-Home-3472cead77cb411098e9556743a7a1ee

BETA TESTING STAGE 1 - HARDWARE TESTING - IN PROGRESS
The game is still in development with many bug fixes in progress and features being worked on. The game is stable enough that we can start testing it's performance on various devices. Based on these results we may tweak and improve performance of the game so that it runs better, on more devices. We may require you to test certain content or features at this stage but this is not the main purpose.

BETA TESTING STAGE 2 - CONTENT & FEATURES - IN PROGRESS
Once we have stabilized the game, we will need your help to find bugs in the content and the way the features in the game work.

BETA TESTING STAGE 3 - OPEN BETA - NOT STARTED
Once we have stabilized the game, the content, and all features will be in their final state, we will enter the OPEN BETA stage where any feedback and any kind of testing is welcome.

What about asking in general for someone to make a custom station or two for you even if you will pay them? I have zero 3D modeling skills. I would like to know how creators like Dave Snow for example made nice buildings including railroad stations? What modeling program do creators usually use for buildings and is it free? How do they export the models into Trainz format?

Here on the forum a 'gimmiepig' is considered to be a person who pesters, - if not demands, - content creators make something for them seemingly without being remotely aware how much work is involved in creating assets. And as you might predict the words 'please' or 'thank you' never passes their lips.

Ah, alright. I now know a few. That will tell me to always say please and thank you. Thank you!

“Gimmepig” is how I ask for bacon at the supermarket delicatessen counter.

LOL, that is actually funny.

Makes sense, the dude is a YouTuber and you can tell just from the thumbnails that he's a young kid.

Recently, this has become a large issue. You have these people proclaiming - and this is a quote - "How to Get and Download Trainz Simulator 3 APK for Android and iOS Both | 100% Working | By Anonymous." Of course thats fake, TS3/TD3 isn't available to anyone except for beta testers, and these videos are all by the same person. I also don't like how TS3/TD3 is a hub for younger people. One time when I still played TD2, I joined a multiplayer and someone asked for my age and gender, they said they were "12," of course I said "No, you weirdo, go steal someone else's credentials." and they said "GO **** YOURSELF" and proceeded to kick me from the game. What an "interesting" community TD2 has.
[h=3][/h]

Last edited:
TS3 is for the NOW generation. TRS19 is more for those people with spare time.
A Gimmepig is a furry little creature which runs ever faster on its needy wheel of downloads until someone says no, then it whines until it explodes.

Graeme

I think KotangaGirl hit the nail on the head. Too much of this kind of behavior usually ends up with you getting ignored by the community.

William

My life would not be the same without Gimmepigs.
It would be soooooo much better :D

My experience is that most seem young and abide in the USA.

Cheers,

Graham
the pig farmer.

TS3 is for the NOW generation. TRS19 is more for those people with spare time.
A Gimmepig is a furry little creature which runs ever faster on its needy wheel of downloads until someone says no, then it whines until it explodes.

Graeme

Extremely accurate and on-point from what I've seen!

Seeing a lot of this on the Trainz Discord channels at present. N3V announced an "invite only" beta test of the mobile version TS3. Suddenly we have an influx of new members either constantly asking for the game or, after asking to be part of the Beta team, demanding to know why they haven't had access within a few minutes.

It's deemed to be impolite to ask for an asset to be made although Ben Dorsey made 100's of requested bridges. Sometimes I think we need a special forum where folk can ask for particular asset with no guarantees that a creator will pick it up.

I think the difference, that makes being a "gimmiepig" bad is more the context & language used. Asking for someone to make you an asset is 100% fine. But demanding, badgering, or begging someone to make you something is bad and is that behavior is what is considered being a gimmiepig. I personally think of being a gimmiepig as less of someone begging for something to be made for them, but more someone who demands they get given something already made (but not released).

peter

What about asking in general for someone to make a custom station or two for you even if you will pay them? I have zero 3D modeling skills. I would like to know how creators like Dave Snow for example made nice buildings including railroad stations? What modeling program do creators usually use for buildings and is it free? How do they export the models into Trainz format?

I think content creators are able to tell the difference between a polite enquiry and a rabid demand from an ill mannered pre-teen. My 3D modelling skills are complete 'L' plate territory and my skills lie with reskinning and graphics work instead. As content creators we all have various skills and interests and it's worth taking a look at the kind of work someone is doing before approaching them with an enquiry. Everyone around here knows that if you asked me to reskin a diesel you'd be greeted with a chilly silence. Pre-1924 Uk goods wagons are my main thing and most times I'll consider doing something especially if you can provide a photo or drawing or any other useful information along with your enquiry.

Annie

Graeme

That will go down in Trainz history Graeme. I haven't laughed so much for ages.

Last edited:
I kind of like Paul's (Pcas1986) idea for a forum thread for requests. These can be taken as ideas or ignored at everyone's leisure, but it gives folks a chance to get requests out there, hopefully politely. And of course you will have certain people hammering it with unending requests and mile-long posts, but I note that JR has two request threads under their 3rd Party forum (one for locos, one for other). What their decision process is for actually choosing what they will make, I don't know, but it is fun to see the pictures people submit and think "oh yeah", or "nah!" in my own mind.

There are one or two people who will take commissions but in general most work is done as freeware. Buildings are a bit specialized for some reason some people who do commission work will not take on buildings. It very much depends on the amount of detail or how complex a building is. Basically once you have one then reusing bits to build a slightly different one is much easier.

I do some occasionally but it is much easier if there is a plan, photos of the building, and photos of any brickwork I can use to texture with. At the moment real life is taking up more time than I'd like to admit.

Blender is the software of choice. Either 2.79b which creates .im files works fine in TS12, TANE, and in my opinion TS19 or 2.92 for .fbx files and PBR. The PBR side of things has caused a number of content creators to give up as being too complex.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz/Tutorial_for_Blender

Look for basic house 2.65.

You'll need a graphics editor such as GIMP, paint.net etc. photoshop will do as well but costs money.

Cheerio John

"Gimmepigs" are the contents of my inbox after I post a screenshot of a private reskin.

"Hey are you going to release the..."

"Hey can you send me the..."

And they never take "no" for an answer.

Matt

Last edited:
Back