Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a "Gimmiepig?"

Question What is a "Gimmiepig?"

Hello everyone.

I'm going to get straight to the point: What is a gimmiepig, and am I one?

I know a little bit of what one is, someone who asks for something excessively for their own personal gain, but I don't think that's the RIGHT definition. Could someone tell me what a gimmiepig is, what they might say and why they exist? I really don't want to be thought of as one, so I'd like to know what to avoid saying.

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

LOL... According to the Urban Dictionary;

A person who cannot pass up a promotional trinket, cap, t-shirt, etc. regardless of interest or need. An avid collector of cheap, cheesy gimme crap.

So not for personal gain..
    If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Here on the forum a 'gimmiepig' is considered to be a person who pesters, - if not demands, - content creators make something for them seemingly without being remotely aware how much work is involved in creating assets. And as you might predict the words 'please' or 'thank you' never passes their lips.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

I wouldn't worry about it DARTrider. Everyone here has been one at some point in their life, whether in thought or action, either to a stranger or to their own parents. Just try not to ask content creators too much about their WIP stuff or screenshots. When they are ready, they will share the stuff freely and usually make a thread about it.

There's nothing wrong with asking if its available somewhere, but if you don't get an answer right off the bat, let it be.
    - Pete

“Gimmepig” is how I ask for bacon at the supermarket delicatessen counter.
    3DS Max 2009/2012. T:ANE SP4 (105946) & TRS19 SP2 (110491).
    Win10, i7 5820K, 3.3GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti 6GB vram, 2x512GB SSD.

Blog Entries

Seeing a lot of this on the Trainz Discord channels at present. N3V announced an "invite only" beta test of the mobile version TS3. Suddenly we have an influx of new members either constantly asking for the game or, after asking to be part of the Beta team, demanding to know why they haven't had access within a few minutes.

It's deemed to be impolite to ask for an asset to be made although Ben Dorsey made 100's of requested bridges. Sometimes I think we need a special forum where folk can ask for particular asset with no guarantees that a creator will pick it up.

Paul

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pcas1986 View Post
    Seeing a lot of this on the Trainz Discord channels at present. N3V announced an "invite only" beta test of the mobile version TS3. Suddenly we have an influx of new members either constantly asking for the game or, after asking to be part of the Beta team, demanding to know why they haven't had access within a few minutes. ...
    TS3 Beta Release https://www.notion.so/TS3-Beta-Testi...e9556743a7a1ee

BETA TESTING STAGE 1 - HARDWARE TESTING - IN PROGRESS
    The game is still in development with many bug fixes in progress and features being worked on. The game is stable enough that we can start testing it's performance on various devices. Based on these results we may tweak and improve performance of the game so that it runs better, on more devices. We may require you to test certain content or features at this stage but this is not the main purpose.

BETA TESTING STAGE 2 - CONTENT & FEATURES - IN PROGRESS
    Once we have stabilized the game, we will need your help to find bugs in the content and the way the features in the game work.

BETA TESTING STAGE 3 - OPEN BETA - NOT STARTED
    Once we have stabilized the game, the content, and all features will be in their final state, we will enter the OPEN BETA stage where any feedback and any kind of testing is welcome.
    If it's not broke, don't fix it.

What about asking in general for someone to make a custom station or two for you even if you will pay them? I have zero 3D modeling skills. I would like to know how creators like Dave Snow for example made nice buildings including railroad stations? What modeling program do creators usually use for buildings and is it free? How do they export the models into Trainz format?

Double-post, whoops.
    Last edited by DARTrider; June 13th, 2021 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KotangaGirl View Post
    Here on the forum a 'gimmiepig' is considered to be a person who pesters, - if not demands, - content creators make something for them seemingly without being remotely aware how much work is involved in creating assets. And as you might predict the words 'please' or 'thank you' never passes their lips.
    Ah, alright. I now know a few. That will tell me to always say please and thank you. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dinorius_Redundicus View Post
    “Gimmepig” is how I ask for bacon at the supermarket delicatessen counter.
    LOL, that is actually funny.

Makes sense, the dude is a YouTuber and you can tell just from the thumbnails that he's a young kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher824 View Post
    Recently, this has become a large issue. You have these people proclaiming - and this is a quote - "How to Get and Download Trainz Simulator 3 APK for Android and iOS Both | 100% Working | By Anonymous." Of course thats fake, TS3/TD3 isn't available to anyone except for beta testers, and these videos are all by the same person. I also don't like how TS3/TD3 is a hub for younger people. One time when I still played TD2, I joined a multiplayer and someone asked for my age and gender, they said they were "12," of course I said "No, you weirdo, go steal someone else's credentials." and they said "GO **** YOURSELF" and proceeded to kick me from the game. What an "interesting" community TD2 has.
    Last edited by DARTrider; June 13th, 2021 at 07:15 AM.

TS3 is for the NOW generation. TRS19 is more for those people with spare time.
    A Gimmepig is a furry little creature which runs ever faster on its needy wheel of downloads until someone says no, then it whines until it explodes.

Graeme

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

I think KotangaGirl hit the nail on the head. Too much of this kind of behavior usually ends up with you getting ignored by the community.

William

My life would not be the same without Gimmepigs.
    It would be soooooo much better

My experience is that most seem young and abide in the USA.

Cheers,

Graham
    the pig farmer.
    Member of TCWW and Trainz DE.

Currently bringing the DHR into TRS19 one tree at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by grazlash View Post
    TS3 is for the NOW generation. TRS19 is more for those people with spare time.
    A Gimmepig is a furry little creature which runs ever faster on its needy wheel of downloads until someone says no, then it whines until it explodes.

Graeme

Extremely accurate and on-point from what I've seen!